SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#30925 - 02/05/06 03:21 AM Testar by the Tornados (Written byJoe Meek)
Tony Hughes Offline

I am 62 next and remember Telstar written by Joe Meek a chap way ahead of his time in electronics - heard noises in his head and then blow it off with a shot gun - but he wrote the legendary Telstar, he recorded it in a flat in Holloway Rd North London - I think I have almost perfected the sound on the SD1 using Farfisa, as anyone else perfected it.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#30926 - 02/05/06 08:05 AM Re: Testar by the Tornados (Written byJoe Meek)
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Telstar is a superb instrumental song. I've played it for as long as I can remember and had the perfect sound for it when I got my G1000 years ago. I never tried it on the SD1 which I still have but I've got it spot on for the Tyros 2 after editing some of the synth and organ sounds.

#30927 - 02/05/06 09:25 AM Re: Testar by the Tornados (Written byJoe Meek)
Tony Hughes Offline

Craig,

There was a clicking noise at the start of the piece did you get that as well, also I think it was mainly the Clavioline is that what you think, the trouble is next time you hear it on the radio it will sound like something totally different.

Joe Meek would make up sounds on tapes and just play them back. He would have the drummer in the bathroom, organ in the lounge and wind in the loo!and a load of mikes.

Did you know about is life.

There is a book about him.

Tony.

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 02-05-2006).]

Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#30928 - 02/05/06 10:47 AM Re: Testar by the Tornados (Written byJoe Meek)
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
The effect at the beginning I used to use a thunder/rain effect on the G1000, with the Tyros 2 I actually don't bother as I have sampled the original and can trigger that from my other keyboard. I'm trying to work out if I can load some sort of sample into the 1 gig of extra memory I purchased for the T2 but it's easier said than done.
I didn't know about his life, it's just a song I've always liked. I play loads of Shadows stuff as well, love the instrumentals they did.

#30929 - 02/05/06 11:05 AM Re: Testar by the Tornados (Written byJoe Meek)
Tony Hughes Offline

Just type in Joe Meek Telstar and you will find an Appreciation Society on the web.

Tony

There are some Midi files as well around but they some like Rolf Harris and that Stylaphone, not a bit like the SD1+ or the original record

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online