SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#305677 - 04/05/00 02:54 AM keyboard vs groove machine
corester Offline

Loc: stationed in Germany, from MD
Hello Forum,
When I first starting getting into creating music, and recording it, I always used my keyboard for drums. Lately I have been really trying to sort a find my niche, and have came to a conclusion that my style, is centered around a Groovy Hip Hop sound.
The question is, what can I do with a Rythm Machine, such as Korg's Electribe ER1; or Roland Groove Box that I might not be able to do with my Alesis qs6.1. I am sequencing from my computer software that has a drum program.
As far as simplicity in creating a funky beat,(ie preset beats) what else can these machines offer me, and is it worth investing in?
Thanx for any responses.

------------------
Da Corester!

#305678 - 04/07/00 09:19 PM Re: keyboard vs groove machine
Vimlesh Offline

Loc: Majuro, Marshall Islands
Hi Corester,

The solution to your dilemna depends on where you use your instruments. It is usually better to get a dedicated groove box for 'live' sounding applications. They offer more on board flexibility and function ... a groove machines' drum pads for example are more robust and realistic than one triggered via software.

Also, you should consider that most rhythm machines like the ER-1 and MC303 etc, have, apart from expansion options, parent firm and 3rd party software support.

Find someone in your locale who is using rhythm machines in the nature you intend to ... a good source of information is usually studio owners. Diplomatically ask them for a tour of what they are doing and how. Most people will be glad to help.

Best of luck

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online