SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#305551 - 02/06/01 09:20 AM I have an old PC, what MIDI sequencing software would be best?
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Well Hidee Ya'll
I have an old laptop. It's an IBM Thinkpad 360Cs. It has a 386 processor, with 8 megs of ram, currently running windows 3.1. It has no CD-Rom, just a 1.4m diskette drive. My hard drive has 220 megs free. I was thinking of loading Voyetra's MIDI orchestrator Plus on it and then simply just dedicate this laptop for MIDI sequencing alone.
Does anyone have an recommandations on a simple but good MIDI sequencer program that will run on Windows 3.1?
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks

#305552 - 02/15/01 04:23 AM Re: I have an old PC, what MIDI sequencing software would be best?
DMC Offline

Loc: NY City
I don't know of ANY current sequencer that will run on a 386. Generally speaking, most require at least a 486. For midi ONLY, a 386 would work! But good luck finding software. Maybe a really old version of one....

DudeManCentral

#305553 - 02/15/01 09:05 PM Re: I have an old PC, what MIDI sequencing software would be best?
tommyde Offline

Loc: Dallas TX USA
Quote:
Does anyone have an recommandations on a simple but good MIDI sequencer program that will run on Windows 3.1?

Voyetra will do fine, as long as its an older version that will run on W3x.

I have a nice little program for W3x called Midisoft recording studio 2.1 that fits on 1 floppy!
Found it in a half-price bookstore in the software section.
There's no website listed on the box.

Try the junk software stores. That's where I find some beauties.

- tommyde ~

[This message has been edited by tommyde (edited 02-15-2001).]

#305554 - 03/01/01 05:55 PM Re: I have an old PC, what MIDI sequencing software would be best?
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Hang on!

Back up a second! Did someone just say that you need at least a 486Mhz processor.

I have a 166 processor (using Cubase to sequence midi information to and from my synth/sampler), BUT I've been having big troubles to do with timing. It keeps stuttering.

Do you think that my timing problems could be to do with the fact that I have such a weak processor?

thanks

Equalizer

#305555 - 03/07/01 08:25 AM Re: I have an old PC, what MIDI sequencing software would be best?
RW Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Equalizer:
Hang on!

Back up a second! Did someone just say that you need at least a 486Mhz processor.

I have a 166 processor (using Cubase to sequence midi information to and from my synth/sampler), BUT I've been having big troubles to do with timing. It keeps stuttering.

Do you think that my timing problems could be to do with the fact that I have such a weak processor?

thanks

Equalizer

Here's my thoughts. I think your processor may be too weak to run the software but certainly not too weak to process MIDI signals. MIDI transfers at what? roughly 31K Baud. Through serial or paralell ports this shouldn't be a problem. But if the sequencer you are running requires more memory for graphics and other dll files and what-ever, then the program may run with the stutters. If it were not a musical program, you may never notice that it is stuttering. Like if you were running say Lotus 123 or MS Excell or some other non-musical application. But with the MIDI we can detect stutters so easily cause they break up the rhythm.
I found an old version of WinJammer for my windows 3.1, It runs beautifully. Ok it has no cool graphics or fancy editing capabilities. It is a very streamlined program but sends and receives MIDI very accurately and realiably. However I'm still not sure if my old laptop is a 386 or 486 but I think the megahertz is only 66. By the way I still haven't tried Voyetra's MIDI Orchestor on it yet. My version is not compatible with Win3.1 I'm asking Voyetra for a win3.1 version... (they haven't replied yet to my week old e-mail).

RW

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 03-07-2001).]

#305556 - 03/08/01 01:36 PM Re: I have an old PC, what MIDI sequencing software would be best?
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Thanks for that RW. Is there anywhere where i can get a freebie download of this program you speak of?

#305557 - 04/05/01 01:32 PM Re: I have an old PC, what MIDI sequencing software would be best?
RW Offline

Wow,

Sorry for such a long delay Equalizer... I did get my copy of WinJammer from the internet. It is a shareware program. I hope you found the software by now but if not and you see this... www.winjammer.com is where you can find a copy and Win3.1 version too!

RW

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online