SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#305478 - 08/08/05 05:07 AM Sequencing for live situation (I'm a rookie)
IGGY Offline

Hi, I'm new to this BBS and a rookie at sequencing. I'm hoping those far more experienced can help me.

I own a Korg Triton Studio and need to sequence some backing tracks for use in a live situation to play horn parts, strings, effects, etc.

I understand how to do this on the keyboard but my question is: How should I create the tracks so that everyone else in the band can play in sync with the tracks? Normally the drummer would start a song my setting the tempo by counting down 1-2-3-4 by tapping his sticks together. Since this will no longer be possible and basically be my job on the synth/sequencer to do this. How do you all go about doing this WITHOUT using the audible metronome countdown built into the sequencer. My thoughts would be to sequence the 'sticks countdown' for one bar the have some sort of simple drum beat playing but I don't want interfere with the actual drummers beats.

How do you all go about doing this?

If I'm not clear enough with my question, please feel free to ask me. This is my first attempt at this.

Thanks! IGGY

#353593 - 10/25/12 06:18 PM Re: Sequencing for live situation (I'm a rookie) [Re: Nigel]
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
I need to know about this also but the link provided does not work.

#353633 - 10/26/12 10:30 PM Re: Sequencing for live situation (I'm a rookie) [Re: deatonent]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
The best way would be if you can have a simple click track on a separate output that only the drummer can hear either through headphones or a dedicated monitor speaker. That is the best way for him to hear the click track over his acoustic drums.

I play in a band with a drummer using a Roland V-Drums electronic kit so it is a little easier because he already has a monitor system for his own drums. We use a few sequences and I simply have a hihat click running through the song. He can hear it but the audience don't notice it along with his own hihat and drum sounds. I always have a bar of the hihat at the start of the song to count us in and the whole band can hear that. If the drummer has the click isolated in headphones then you would want to have 2 bars of count in, 1 bar for the drummer and another bar for him to count off with his sticks for the band. Because my band can hear the click we only have one bar count in.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online