SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#304867 - 11/04/05 06:54 AM Tyros2 Problems
Derek Ladkin Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi all those lucky enough to have Tyros2,

I have downloaded the new Scat voice to a Flash memory stick and loaded the individual voice into Custom Voice and also saved it to User Drive. I can then remove the flash drive. Fine, but after switching off,when I come back to switching on again it does not load the Scat voice. It seems I have to leave the Flash drive in all the while inorder to reload the voice everytime I switch on. Presumably I shall have to fit a HDD if I want to re-use my Flash drive.
Has anyone else experienced this ?

I'm also having problems with the connection to the computer. When I wish to switch the Tyros off but leave my computer on I cick on the icon to unplug or eject hardware and then to 'stop' USB Midi driver However it tells me that I cannot ,as it is being accessed by another program. So I then get the window which warns me etc about possibly crashing the computer. It often disconnects me from the web too. On looking at properties ,it says the Yamaha driver is working perfectly ok.
For the moment I've uninstalled the program and the computer recognises the Tyros as a Digital Workstation which I can remove safely.
Can any of you experts out there help please ?

Derek

#304868 - 11/04/05 10:16 AM Re: Tyros2 Problems
lacobo Offline

Loc: Hoofddorp, NH, the Nethelands
Quote:
Originally posted by Derek Ladkin:
Hi all those lucky enough to have Tyros2,

Has anyone else experienced this ?

I'm also having problems with the connection to the computer.

Can any of you experts out there help please ?

Derek

The first is known by me. It want's to load the voice from the harddrive (takes a few seconds! even from my built in 5400 sp. harddrive) or the medium used when the voice was created and stored. I hope a future firmware upgrade makes the T2 a bit faster loading voices. If one voice of 2.5 MB is taking a few seconds to load, how would it be if you have 10 or more of these custom voices loaded. First turn on the T2, take a break, drink some coffee, etc. and then after 2 minutes the thing is usable. Ofcourse the process can be canceled, but then there are no custom voices.

Haven't connected the T2 to a computer yet...

Bert.

[This message has been edited by lacobo (edited 11-04-2005).]

#304869 - 11/04/05 12:28 PM Re: Tyros2 Problems
Derek Ladkin Offline

Hi Bert,

Quote:
I hope a future firmware upgrade makes the T2 a bit faster loading voices.

I've also noticed a longer time in the basic saving of Panel and Registration memory,compared to Tyros1 but not a particular problem. However I think it is something to allow for as I also had problems when trying to update the Music Finder list from floppy disk via USB 1. Whether it is just my model but I carried out the procedure as per the owners Manual (Page 172)and it read the floppy and when I looked at Music Finder it had been been updated. I removed the floppy and when I looked again Music Finder had reverted to Preset. I put the floppy in again,this time there was no indication of it being read and it seemed to recognise that it had the data stored somewhere. I used the 'Replacement Button'as before and the data replacement was completed. I waited a while and this time when I removed the Floppy the updated Music Finder remained and now seems OK.
Just thought I'd mention this for information.

As you say ,if the new voices are of 2.5MB and with all the other possibilities I'm thinking I should look at getting a 60GB HDD and at least 5400rpm. What do you have ?

Derek

#304870 - 11/04/05 12:44 PM Re: Tyros2 Problems
lacobo Offline

Loc: Hoofddorp, NH, the Nethelands
Quote:
Originally posted by Derek Ladkin:
Hi Bert,

As you say ,if the new voices are of 2.5MB and with all the other possibilities I'm thinking I should look at getting a 60GB HDD and at least 5400rpm. What do you have ?

Derek

Hi Derek,

My harddrive is a Toshiba 40 GB 5400 speed with 8 MB cache. I payed 75 Euro's for it. I've decided not to go for an expensive 7200 speed Hdd, because of the costs.

In about a year I predict that you can't even buy drives with a lower speed then 7200. By then the price has dropped to the level of the 5400 speed now. Then it's soon enough to switch to a 7200 speed disk with a higher capacity. For now everything works fine and 40 Gig's is plenty space for 1000s of styles, many new voices, hours and hours of HDD-recordings etc.

Bert.

#304871 - 11/04/05 01:19 PM Re: Tyros2 Problems
Derek Ladkin Offline

Hi Bert,

Thanks for that information. You will have saved me some money.
I notice that Yamaha say that a Toshiba MK4026GAX is suitable but I haven't found one yet, whether this has been superseded as there is a MK4036GAX which has 40GB and a 16MB buffer( which I think is better ? ) at around £47 so that might be suitable. I must do some more searching .

Derek

#304872 - 11/04/05 01:57 PM Re: Tyros2 Problems
veneman Offline

Loc: Mierlo, the Netherlands
Hello Derek,

When you have a wave/voice file on USB stick, and configure the Custom Voice to use that file, at powerup the T2 it want to load that wave file again from that USB disk. Its indeed better to install a Harddisk in the TYROS to save voice/wave files there.

When you have installed the Yamaha USB drivers on your PC, and TYROS connected via USB, you switch on the TYROS, then automatically Windows XP will recognise that and your connection is on. You can savely switch off the TYROS, without using the remove hardware fucntion of XP.

The new Toshiba 5200 RPM with 16 MB Buffer memory are expected to work fine in the T2.
7200 RPM drives are indeed expensive, much more noisy, due to high spinning speed.
They are only slightly faster, particular for finding/copying many small files, due to average random access times.
Difference with 5200 RPM is not so high.
Might be suggestion to make 2 partitions, one reserved for audio recording avoiding fragmentation will decrease speed.

Cheers JaapV

#304873 - 11/04/05 03:15 PM Re: Tyros2 Problems
Derek Ladkin Offline

Hello Jaap,

Thanks for the advice. I will re-install the USB driver and try again. I have W 2000pro running so it might not react quite the same as XP.
I can see that making a separate partition for audio recording will be a good idea,thanks.
I expect to experience some problems at various stages of getting to know the Tyros2 ( I've previously had Technics Keyboards )and it is great to be able to get good advice on these forums.

Thanks again,
Derek

#304874 - 11/05/05 08:11 AM Re: Tyros2 Problems
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Thank you Venneman for joining our Tyros Forum here. I did post your information regarding hard drives in this forum with your permission a few days ago
I can see you will be very helpful to us and I do ask you to stay with us. Many of us have not had Yamaha products so this is a new learning curve for us.
I have a Yam 9000 but didn't much like it so never used it. I received the Tyros 2 yesterday and it is a totally different machine from the 9000 and my many Technics Keyboards and I like it already.
Best to you our new friend
Bebop

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online