SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#304511 - 08/20/06 07:52 AM question re T2 transposing/muting
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
i need a kb that transposes directly with up/down buttons or slider, and can also mute all tracks for live play except
bass and drums, and stay on those settings while changing styles. I have avoided Yam psr's, etc because they require going on-screen each time to transpose, and the only global muting is to drums only, not bass/drums unless one goes to the screen to mute each style. that's why I have used Korg. Someone mentioned in a post here that the T2 had direct transpose --is this true and does it also have global muting to bass/dr.ums only, not just to drums?
Miami Mo

#304512 - 08/20/06 05:37 PM Re: question re T2 transposing/muting
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Yes, Tyros 2 has dedicated octave buttons plus dedicated transpose buttons. Tyros, and I believe most new PSR's, have the quick muting of all voices to leave drums and bass sounding. This is done by pressing 3 adjacent keys eg C, C# & D
Keith

#304513 - 08/21/06 09:37 AM Re: question re T2 transposing/muting
keysvocalssax Offline

thanks, Keith.
i assume you own a T2? is the 3-key track muting you
mentioned a global setting? or do you have to do that
for every style change? if you change styles on the fly,
what happens? how do you press 3 piano keys without
getting them to sound? While I have you (and others can answer this as well), are you a jazz player to any degree?
if so, do you find the bass/drum tracks for swing, bop,
bossa, latin, funk, etc on the T2 have enough quality and
variety for your needs without tweaking? Also--the "new"
psr's you mention--do you mean ones coming soon, or
models on the floor now? I would prefer a light psr to a T2 if it has dedicated transpose and easy global track
mute to bass/drums like my 1996 Korg i-series does.
Miami Mo

#304514 - 08/22/06 04:36 AM Re: question re T2 transposing/muting
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Miami Mo:

For clarification - in a PSR or Tyros, If you play three adjacent keys in the accomp section when a style is playing it will cancel everything but the drums. If you play three adjacent keys plus a lower key you will then get drums and a bass pattern for the lowest key.

However this is just temporary until you play your next chord and is really only used for break or special bars etc.

If you want to cancel some of the accomp voices for a style you have to press the "CHANNEL ON/OFF button first and then press cancel for each of the voices you don't need. This then cancels the voices for all fills and variations. This is quite quick but a bit cumbersome while playing - However, it is very easy just to save the style with cancelled voices as a registration.

I do this a lot with jazz styles usually leaving bass and drums whilst I play piano across the whole keyboard. Sometimes I leave a simple strummed jazz guitar as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards - Keith F

#304515 - 08/22/06 10:27 AM Re: question re T2 transposing/muting
keysvocalssax Offline

ok.."2 guys named keith", big help! thanks a bunch.
i will only be using registration styles just like you, KF..
so now i need to find out which psr's, if any, have
dedicated transpose buttons, and I can check them out..
do you know? also, since you are a jazz player, are you
happy with the psr bass/drum styles? enough of them
good in the swing-bop-latin-bossa-funk bags? did you compare those w/roland/korg when you chose psr?
Mo

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online