SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#304424 - 05/11/06 02:00 PM T2 DIMM upgrade problem
Derek Ladkin Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi All,
Has anyone had problems with T2 recognising the DIMM upgrades ?
I've just installed a pair of Kingston Memory/128MB 100Mhz PC100 SDRAM KVR100X64C2l/128 ( Low Profile) Cards and the PROPERTY screen tells me I have only 4MB.
I've visually checked them,changed them over and reinstalled but no good.
The Spec seems to conform with the figures in the handbook.
Is one likely to be faulty do you think?
Also installed Toshiba MK4032GAX 40GB HDD and that's working OK.
Derek UK

#304425 - 05/12/06 03:37 PM Re: T2 DIMM upgrade problem
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
looks to me like you got the wrong clock rate at 100.
I put 133 in mine:KINGSTON VALUE RAM KVR133X72C3/512 512MB ECC PC133 133MHZ CL3 168-PIN SDRAM DIMM
this is where I got it at. http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA08522

that is the site where I bought it and it spells out the part number with the pc133 clock rate.
Bebop

#304426 - 05/14/06 12:56 AM Re: T2 DIMM upgrade problem
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
You are supposed to be able to use PC100 or PC133. I used PC133 with no problems

KF

#304427 - 05/14/06 08:26 AM Re: T2 DIMM upgrade problem
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California

#304428 - 05/15/06 01:29 AM Re: T2 DIMM upgrade problem
Derek Ladkin Offline

Yes Bill, I was thinking that, and I will look for some with clock rate of 133.
However, as Kfingers says ,the owners manual says that 100 or 133 will work.
I spoke to Yamaha UK Technical help and they could not see why these cards wouldn't work unless they were faulty.They said it was preferable that DIMM cards conformed to JEDEC standard but that was all they could advise.
I then called Kingston Technical Help who confirmed that all their products were to JEDEC standards.They said if I could give details of computer or mother board they could recommend suitable DIMMS.I explained that it was a keyboard and as Yamaha don't give these details that was not possible. They were trying to be helpfull but wished me luck :-)
I re-checked the cards and cleaned contacts, re-installed and this time the 'Property' screen showed no memory at all in any of the boxes and locked up on that screen !
I had also looked at the Yamaha.com list which shows several 100 clock rate cards
but seems out of date as things move on.
Does this mean that their motherboard used was abit outdated ? ( I had difficulty in locating one of their HDD recommended models but finally obtained it, just hope it comes up to expectations )
I think that if Yamaha offer add-on accessories they should give more specific details about module types ,keep their lists up to date and confirm that 100 clock rate cards will still work.
I now have to return these cards for testing,and negotiate changing them for 133/128Mb cards but with no idea whether those will work !
The nearest I can find on my retailers list to those on the Yamaha list is Crucial CT16M64S4D75...128 Mb. The Yamaha quotes CT16M72S4D75 . Not sure whether the '64'or '72'figure is critical.
Wish me luck guys as that what it seems to depend on ;-)
Derek

#304429 - 05/16/06 07:49 AM Re: T2 DIMM upgrade problem
Derek Ladkin Offline

Well someone must have thought about me.I'm up and running today.
I decided to go for the Crucial 128MB 168-Pin DIMM 16MX64 SDRAM PC133 Low ProfileCL3.
I ordered online yesterday direct from Crucial ( UK Branch)as their prices were also competitive, and they arrived this morning Post free !
No problems.
Incidentaly, they have some useful information pages about Memory modules and for computers they have a scanning program as below:

"The Crucial System Scanner will load a small tool (approximately 77KB, which will take about 15 seconds to download on a dial-up connection) on your computer that will scan your computer's hardware, then show you a page with important information that will help you to select the right memory upgrade for your computer. "
Perhaps Tyros 3 will have this capability ;-D
http://www.crucial.com/uk/

Hope this might help anyone thinking of upgrading memory.
Just need to sort out the other cards with the supplier now.
Derek UK

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online