SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#303999 - 11/22/05 04:33 AM More Tyros 2 Observations
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Having owned the T2 for less than 3 days, I'm still exploring all the new features of this board. Here are some of my initial observations:

I installed a new 60 gig hard disk which I purchased from Best Buy. I noticed the T2 hard disk compartment on the underside of the keyboard did NOT contain any screws to affix the hard disk to the mounting plate, nor were there any included with the hard disk. Be sure you gather these small screws before you begin installation. Luckily, I found some laying around in my junk drawer.

After formatting the hard disk, which the Tyros2 adeptly detected and initiated automatically, I used the USB File Mode to restore the backup which I made from my old Tyros. One of my gripes is that you must hold down the Music Finder button as you power on the keyboard. The bootup process does take about 20-40 seconds so you feel like an idiot sitting there holding the damn MF button. Shame on Yamaha for not taking care of this in software by rewriting part of the operating system to toggle between these two modes: Play mode/USB File Mode.

One very nice feature on the T2 is the two new buttons on the left side of the keyboard by the Play controls for Lyrics/Text and Score. Having these two buttons dedicated on the keyboard really add a lot more efficiency to the keyboard during MIDI file playback. A very nice feature.

Text/Lyrics: As noticed by another user, you cannot view text files with any other file extention other than .TXT Also, any formatting such as bold,underline, etc. embedded in the text file is ignored. Another very nice feature is the TAB buttons on the LCD display in the upper right hand side of the display. This is dedicated for paging the Text / Lyric display and works very nice. YOu can also flip pages with a foot controller. I have not tried linking Text files to Registrations as yet, that is next on my TO-DO list.

Well I have to run, stay tuned for more observations of the next few days.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#304000 - 11/22/05 05:41 AM Re: More Tyros 2 Observations
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
It's odd you got no screws from Yamaha.
My Tyros 2 came with 4 screws ready to fit. I also got some with my Samsung hard drive.

#304001 - 11/22/05 05:58 AM Re: More Tyros 2 Observations
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
That really is screwy!

I know they weren't in the plate, and none on the drive. Perhaps they were in the box. I'll have to check again.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#304002 - 11/22/05 09:30 AM Re: More Tyros 2 Observations
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Look in the bag with the user manual,

Its all there

Arno.

#304003 - 11/22/05 11:37 AM Re: More Tyros 2 Observations
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Yep, mine came with screws in a plastic bag with the user manual as well. - Scott

#304004 - 11/24/05 04:31 AM Re: More Tyros 2 Observations
paulgee Offline

Hi

You only have to hold the MFD button down momentarily while powering on. You can let go through the rest of the boot process. But it's still rather a naff implementation.

They seem to have implemented the soft reboot the other way round, i.e. if you hit the exit button while in the USB-file mode the keyboard automatically reboots. But all this booting and rebooting seems rather archaic. This is one area they haven't really improved over Tyros 1 - and it's still not USB 2.0. So it was painfully slow transferring some songs onto the HD.

FYI, I also had screws shipped with the board.

Best Regards
Paul.

#304005 - 11/24/05 07:05 AM Re: More Tyros 2 Observations
BobT2 Offline

Just saw this. I have had my T2 for 4 days and use a USB 2 Gig flash drive to transfer files. It worked great from my T1 to the T2.
BTW, I am going to sell my T1. How much should I be asking????

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online