SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#303945 - 11/14/06 08:28 PM Styles thru the IDC Connection
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
For Tyros 2 owners, what's available in terms of new styles thru the IDC Connection? I haven't gotten set up as yet. Several questions: Are these styles equal to or better than the built-in styles? What's the cost per style? Is there a good variety available, such as latin, swing, country, etc.? Somebody's reaction, please. Thanks.

#303946 - 11/15/06 04:10 AM Re: Styles thru the IDC Connection
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hi J. Larry,

I'd have to say the PREMIUM style on the IDC site are better than the internal styles. There are some non premium styles that are equal to what is in the keyboard.

The selection is quite diverse with some rock, funk, country, and others. I think the prices are from 4.95 to 6.95 per style.

I've downloaded about 1/2 dozen or so that I thought were really good and should be part of my collection.

On the whole, I think it's nice to have this option, just that Yamaha really isn't exploiting it very well. On my keyboard with a wireless I-net connection, it's slow and frustrating to navigate through all the screens. Then when you get to a screen, you can preview a style which downloads it into your keyboard, and it plays for a few seconds and just when you start getting the overall picture of how the style sounds, the demo is over. You then need to navigate back to the style selection screen and this take time. I'd like to see a better interface where you can see multiple columns of styles on a single screen with the ability to preview "in-place" without having to navigate all over the place.

Maybe Yamaha should contract with me to re-write the interface!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#303947 - 11/15/06 02:10 PM Re: Styles thru the IDC Connection
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Thanks for the response. That's the kind of information I was looking for. The whole process sounds a little complicated. I wish one could demo the styles directly from a Yamaha web site, then make purchases accordingly.

#303948 - 11/15/06 11:17 PM Re: Styles thru the IDC Connection
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello J.Larry
All the demos I have seen about IDC have included a Midi demo of the song/style, which you can listen to on the site direct though you’re Yamaha before you decide to purchase.
Follow this link http://www.musiciansroom.net/Videos/default.aspx and choose the PSR 3000 Demo, you will find IDC towards the end of the Video.
Hope this helps

Bill

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online