Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#303473 - 09/09/05 04:36 AM Roland GW-7
thecass Offline

Loc: Ireland Dublin
Hi Guy's.

I'm looking at buying a Roland GW-7.

I'm using an EXR-3 at the moment.
Can you tell me if I'm wasting my money or doing the right thing.

#303474 - 09/22/05 07:25 PM Re: Roland GW-7
tonebank Offline

Loc: England, UK
I sold my EXR-3 on ebay and got the GW-7. It really depends what you want...

I personally prefer the GW-7 becuase you can edit the sounds (its basic editing) and save them, its got the two analog control knobs, its a HELL of a lot lighter, It has two pedal inputs, you can save 10 favourite tones to the category buttons which is great for live stuff aswell as the 100 (i think) performances you can have (I think the EXR-3 has only 10) and the value wheel is fantastic for finding sounds quickly.

They sound almost identical, only the GW-7 has newly sampled ethnic instruments and styles. I dont think theres as many styles on the GW-7 because theres none stored on the flash memory, unlike the EXR-3. So theres more space for compositions. The overall size is about 4 Megs, the same as the EXR-3.

Theres no cover function on the GW-7, nor is their V-Link support and no built in speakers.

I'll leave it up to you!! I'll answer any questions if I can...

------------------
- James
www.tonebank.co.uk
www.skeletationmusical.com

#303475 - 09/22/05 07:41 PM Re: Roland GW-7
tonebank Offline

oh.... and one other thing.... the GW-7 was made at Roland China and the EXR-3 was made at Roland Italy. The keyboard feel on the EXR-3 is crap compared to the feel of the GW-7. The keys are actually straight aswell, some of the keys were slightly warped on my EXR-3. The key feel is very solid and straight.

I think the GW-7 has the same key action as the Juno-D.

And dont forget the GW-7 has a D-Beam if you like those...

#303476 - 10/27/05 08:34 AM Re: Roland GW-7
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey there,

I just switched to GW-7 from EXR-3 - seems to be a good tradition:-)))) Still I got a question about that D-Beam thing - it doesn't seem to be working properly in dimly lit surrounding - e.g. the preset Drum Roll keeps working even without my hand over the beam! Only when I turn on the ceiling light it starts working as it should. Do you get the same prob???? Or maybe I got a bad copy?:-(

#303477 - 10/27/05 12:25 PM Re: Roland GW-7
RolandLover Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tonebank:
I sold my EXR-3 on ebay and got the GW-7. It really depends what you want...

I personally prefer the GW-7 becuase you can edit the sounds (its basic editing) and save them, its got the two analog control knobs, its a HELL of a lot lighter, It has two pedal inputs, you can save 10 favourite tones to the category buttons which is great for live stuff aswell as the 100 (i think) performances you can have (I think the EXR-3 has only 10) and the value wheel is fantastic for finding sounds quickly.

They sound almost identical, only the GW-7 has newly sampled ethnic instruments and styles. I dont think theres as many styles on the GW-7 because theres none stored on the flash memory, unlike the EXR-3. So theres more space for compositions. The overall size is about 4 Megs, the same as the EXR-3.

Theres no cover function on the GW-7, nor is their V-Link support and no built in speakers.

I'll leave it up to you!! I'll answer any questions if I can...

Hello tonebank,

Have you tried EXR-5s? How is it compared to GW-7 ?

Is the keys of EXR-s series is better than EXR series?

Could you please give me some advices, which one I should get: GW-7, EXR-5s, or G-600?

All I know about G-600 is I need firmware version 1.03 to fix some bugs. And I don't know whether the one I'm going to get has version 1.03 or newer.

Thanks a lot

#303478 - 10/27/05 10:46 PM Re: Roland GW-7
Chris 01 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Hello,

I just want to know if you can customize any of the factory styles on the GW-7, or can you compose a new style from scratch on this keyboard?

Thanks.

#303479 - 11/03/05 08:13 PM Re: Roland GW-7
zuki Offline

I really like the EXR7s. It is much different than the 5 or 3 models. The keybed is terrific. There are dedicated banks for both sounds and styles, but not in the other boards. The GW-7 has very small keys, like an accordian. The styles in the GW and EXR are very similar. The EXR has built-in speakers, not in the GW. All of the Roland manuals can be downloaded for free from the ROLAND USA site to answer specific questions. Just my opinion.
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#303480 - 11/04/05 09:37 AM Re: Roland GW-7
tonebank Offline

lets see if i can answer all your questions from memory...

From what I recall when I tried it at the shop, the EXR-5s has the same cheap key feel as the EXR-5. The EXR-5s has a few more new styles over the EXR-5, im not sure it compares to the GW-7 in my opinion.

As for the D-Beam, yea, I've had that problem. I just think it depends on the lighting of the room you're in. The manual says that lighting will effect its performance.

No you cant create styles from scratch on this keyboard.

#303481 - 10/09/06 04:58 PM Re: Roland GW-7
MaestroJ Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY
So I just bought the Roland GW-7

I have an external sequencer/sampler (MPC 2000xl) feeding midi sequences to the Roland GW-7

I need to set the tones (sounds) on my 16 channels in my Roland GW-7. How do I do that in the keyboard?

Basically, how do I go into the GW-7 to set what sound comes out of Track1, Track 2, Track 3 etc all the way to 16

#303482 - 10/10/06 10:25 PM Re: Roland GW-7
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Guys,
the GW7 style convertor may be of interest.
I think it creates styles from midifiles. I checked it out briefly a while back, it's a bit complicated, and as I don't currently own a Roland, I didn't spend a great deal of time trying to figure it out.
http://www.roland.com/products/en/GW-7/GW-7_World_Styles/index.html

If your GW7's load G70 styles, this site may be of interest. http://www.selskabsmusikeren.dk/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=24&Itemid=32

EMC Styleworks may be of interest if you were wanting to create styles. I have the Universal plus Package version for my psr & ketron keyboards. Unfortunately it's a very pricey piece of software.
http://www.emc-musicsoftware.de/viashop/storefront/start.asp?

best wishes
rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online