SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3029 - 05/22/02 08:39 PM Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
I saw it the other day. Better than the first movie hands down, but still not what made the first trilogy great, and that is the "real feel". Lucas is too infatuated with cgi. Im almost glad he didnt have access to that technology back when he was making IV, V and VI.

What I think made "Clones" better is that there was more character building for starters. Some hardcore "StarWars nerds" didnt like the movie because it was too much of a love story, but if it wasnt for that part, then Luke would have never come to be, so that was important as well. I already like the Count Dooku character. I cant wait to see what his role in the third film will be.

Your input?

#3030 - 05/22/02 09:17 PM Re: Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
Soft Machine Offline

I havent seen it yet. But are you saying we're gonna have to wait another 3 years to see a REAL Star Wars movie?

#3031 - 05/22/02 09:25 PM Re: Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
Chris Attison Offline

Didnt say that at all. Like I said, I think this movie was more of a Star Wars movie than Phantom Menace, but that is my opinion. I started this thread to see what other people thought of the movie, so go see it damn it!

#3032 - 05/23/02 08:43 AM Re: Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
tekminus Offline

I've seen it twice now. What's this bitchin about it being a love story. Seems like everyone's forgotten that Lucas already gave away the outline of the 3 movies in 1999.

Ep1 didn't have too much character build because it's the beginning of the whole thing. Ep2 would be a love story and clone war. Ep3 will be really dark and the bad guys will win. From Lucas himself anno 1999.

-tek

#3033 - 05/23/02 10:13 AM Re: Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
tekminus Offline

Oh yeah, Chris, Dooku's role in ep3 will be to die The Sith travel in pairs you know.

-tek

#3034 - 05/24/02 11:21 AM Re: Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I have to say , I really liked it . The look and feel is awesome . George would have used CGI back in the first episodes if it were available . I think the CGI paints a beautifully futuristic picture . Oh yeah , Yoda is a BAD ASS . In every episode , we mostly see the Jedi get there asses handed to them , even though Yoda said the dark side is not more powerful , just quicker and easier . It was great to see a Jedi master live up to there reputation . The whole movie had a futuristic feel that has not been topped since BladeRunner . It lived up to what I expected , a great fantasy .

#3035 - 05/26/02 07:35 PM Re: Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
Chris Attison Offline

Yeah, I realize Dooku has to die in Ep.3. I still like his character though.

Again I think the cgi was too much and too perfect in many respects. I would have liked to see the rustic and industrious look of the original trilogy, but Im happy....for now.

[This message has been edited by Chris Attison (edited 05-26-2002).]

#3036 - 05/27/02 08:35 AM Re: Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
tekminus Offline

Did you notice how the clones were training their midi-sequencing skills on ultra-flat monitors, while in the old trilogy you have these old IBM/Commodore PET like screens. The ones you see on the cover of Kraftwerk's 'Computer World', with the keyboard built-in.

#3037 - 05/29/02 08:24 AM Re: Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
Blacklight Offline

My two bits about "Clones" is thus: 1. Hands down better than Phantom Menace.. 2. Still didn't have the feel of parts IV, V, and VI, 3. Dialog for the most part was poor (especially for the scenes with Anakin and Amidalla "I am hoping that the kiss that never should have happened will become a deep scar that will never heal") 4. Amidalla sounded like she was reading from a cue card in every scene (I don't know if this is because she can't act or her character is a Vulcan and has no emotion) 5. Man..Darth Vader was a whiney teenager !
6. They should have cut some of the action scenes and added more romance scenes (This coming from a guy who hates watching romance films). There was no spark between Anakin and Amidalla. It felt like the romance just kind of got tossed in there at the last seccond and suddenly they were in love.
That's my Clones rant... Oh.. wait..
7. Yoda ROCKS !!

#3038 - 05/29/02 03:13 PM Re: Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
Stalker Offline

Loc: Germany
I was VERY disappointed.
Lucas didn't learn very much of his faults in Ep.1. Okay, he made this movie look different, but better?
The story was not too good, the characters could all have more personality and the lightsaberfights are too fast (so fast that it's difficult to follow) and with too much jumping. And there are not very much really existing sceneries, are there? Almost everything is computer-made. I don't like that, it just doesn't look real (although the special-effects are VERY good).

The movie doesn't have the Star Wars-atmosphere. It doesn't have this magic, this spirit. And the jokes are terrible!!!

Yoda with lightsaber was silly. I didn't like it at all.
And why the hell did Uncle Owen have to be there? Now Darth Vader knows him (he's the husband of his mother!!), Obi-Wan would be SILLY to hide Luke there!! Besides: Owen doesn't know C-3PO in "Star Wars", but in Ep.II he worked with him.
And originally the Death Star was created under the command of Moff Tarkin and not by some weird insects!

But there were nice things, too:
Jango Fett was good, especially the fight with Obi-Wan. Samuel Jackson and Ewan McGregor were good, too and Hayden Christensen could have been worse. But: a man buildt like him can never turn to a man who looks like Dave Prowse (the original Darth Vader). He's 20 years old and has to grow some inches until he reaches Prowe's heigth. But Vader is taller in every direction, not only the height.
Yes, Christopher Lee was okay, too.

Obi-Wan isn't old enough. I think he should be about 30 years old, Anakin 20. But in "Star Wars" Vader calls his Master "old man". Guinnes was in the mid-sixties, Vader has to be about 40 years old to call him an old man, or not?

There are only three Star Wars-Movies: "Star Wars", "The Empire strikes Back" and "The Return of the Jedi".
And there is a "Spaceballs"-Trilogy: "Spaceballs", "Episode I" and "Episode II" !

May the force be with You (I mean the real force, not that horrible "Episode1-Medachlorians-JarJar-Anni-PODracer-he'sthechosenone-Idon'tknowanyfurtherdescription-mickeymouse"-force!

Greetings from a real Star Wars-fan (from the REAL Star Wars-Movies)!!

#3039 - 05/29/02 03:46 PM Re: Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
Soft Machine Offline

I agree Stalker

i'll add this too

How many times can we stand hearing the word "MASTER" in Ep 2. They say it like hundred times.

I hate the whole "ANNI" thing too...awful. Not once did we hear Lukey or Hanny-baby in the 1st trilogy. There were lots of young kids who saw the original movies and it never got to that childish level (although the political sub-plots are quite complex for young minds)

ahh, I hated the scene where Yoda teaches a bunch of kids. Drilled since birth, like nazis!

I thought they're was too much parallels with the situation in THEIR world is and ours
with the whole Democracy thing
**ANNI : "the system doesn't work" duh

Im probably missing a couple of other things.

But the real surprise and what made me smile was seeing the actor who plays JANGO ( its JAKE from ONCE WERE WARRIORS)
Seeing him again made me forget all the faults the movie had

Anywhos,
Good Film, Great Story but Sorry Acting

#3040 - 05/29/02 09:29 PM Re: Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Stalker:
[B]Darth Vader knows him (he's the husband of his mother)
Owen doesn't know C-3PO in "Star Wars", but in Ep.II he worked with him. B]

OK-One at a time:

1) Owen is NOT the husband of Anakin's Mother, he is her SON.(just as Anakin is.)
EP IV clearly showed that Owen and Vadar had some history, although it was not defined at that time. I suspect we'll see more in the next chapter. Obi-Wan is gonna be the cause of most of what ails Vadar. Maybe that's what ages him so fast. It's the aggression....the fighting. See what it did to Yoda???

2) re: droids
Droids are not "that" personal to these people. They are like hammers and saws to us. A robatic tool that someone had as a teenager would have little sentimental value to a grown man, I think. (just a guess)
A droid's a droid ... no one cares what the name is.

3) These episodes are new scripts, but old story lines. If they were strong enough to stand on their own, Lucas could have sold them all in 1977, but the simple truth is - the movie studio did not want to take a chance on a loooooong saga that "might" not even sell. They asked George to start with the strongest story, one that could hold it's own.
The CGI's and the little anomolies don't bother me at all. I'm a fan.....a REAL fan. I love the story line, the suspense, and the "whatever is next".
Stop trying to be a "backseat director" and enjoy what can only be classified as "The epic fantasy of our time".
Sequals rarely measure up to the originals, and Lucas proved THAT theory wrong with "Empire" (my favorite).... and as for Yoda and the light sabre .........
Don't even GO there.
That is one BAD, green little dude.

My 25 yr old son and I have had this story to enjoy for his WHOLE life. He was barely a year old when he saw the first movie, and it's still a big thrill for him and his pals. (AND his Dad!) I will be there on opening day in 2005 to watch the thrill continue. I love this stuff.

#3041 - 05/30/02 04:29 AM Re: Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
Stalker Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

1) Owen is NOT the husband of Anakin's Mother, he is her SON.

Believe me: I knew this, but I was searching quite a long time for the word husband that I forgot to write "his father was her husband". Sorry

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
EP IV clearly showed that Owen and Vader had some history, although it was not defined at that time.

Yes, You are right. But I believe that in "Star Wars" originally Vader really killed Anakin. That he was NOT Lukes father. And Owen knew Anakin but not Vader (who at that moment was not the same person as Lukes father). My opinion.

#3042 - 05/30/02 10:35 PM Re: Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Stalker:
I believe that in "Star Wars" originally Vader really killed Anakin. That he was NOT Lukes father.

Hmmm, interresting view. I'll ask my son if he read anything that would confirm or disprove that thought. According to him, these scripts have been pretty close to the books so far. Anything is possible.

#3043 - 05/31/02 01:09 PM Re: Attack of the Clones or Attack of the Clowns?
Stalker Offline

Hi!
It's just that it seems to me that at the beginning there was only existing "Star Wars". The book (written by Alan Dean Foster, NOT George Lucas - HE had the idea and wanted Foster to write it in a good style and his name is printed on it) was before the films. And the original second book was named "Skywalkers Rueckkehr"(Rueckkehr=Return), also written by Foster. That story has nothing to do with "The Empire Strikes Back", it's just Luke, Leia and Darthi (as far as I've read it now). All I want to say is that the story has expanded, by far not everything was thought at the beginning. And so it may be that Darth and Anakin were not everytime the same person.

I think in the book "Return of the Jedi" was mentioned that Owen was Obi-Wan's brother. In the new episodes it doesn't seem so. Owen lives on Tatooine and Obi-Wan didn't even know that planet in Ep.1.

I've seen the three originals again yesterday. Be serious: compared to those masterpieces the new "Episodes" (how I hate this name) are only silly shit.

By the way: in the german "MAD"-magazine it's named "Pepsidose 1" (Pepsican1) instead of "Episode 1" . There was a lot of merchandising with Pepsi, right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online