SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#302812 - 04/02/06 03:23 PM GW-7
soundboy Offline

Loc: London
Hey everyone!
I really really need some help!

Im trying to decide if i should buy the GW7 and there is very little feedback on how good it really sounds!

Has anyone got any experience they could share?
When i listen to the styles mp3s it sounds so rubbish, the instruments sound like GM1 midi sounds.

Surely this keyboard is capable of more?
Im trying to decide on this or the juno d but the juno d's sounds are a bit too synthy for me.

Thanks SO much in advance for any help!

#302813 - 04/25/06 08:25 AM Re: GW-7
ocomain Offline

At its price point I think the GW-7 sounds are pretty decent, though some are obviously better than others! The advantage of this keyboard is there are 2 controller knobs that allow you to change each preset tone in subtle or drastic ways (read page 12 of the downloadable manual). Once you edit a tone to your liking, you can save it to one of 128 User Tone slots. You can register your favorite tones (10 apiece) to one of 10 different "Favorite" categories for quick access. You can adjust chorus and reverb send levels using the controller knobs, or do more comprehensive fx editing on the front panel. The GW-7's best and most comprehensive sounds are the Electric Pianos, Organs, Accordians, Basses, Brass, and Ethnic Instruments from Asia, Middle East, Eastern Europe, and Latin America.

I also have S & X Fantoms but am using my GW-7 as my main controller because I like its easy, uncomplicated layout and its quieter synth keyboard action, compared to the semi-weighted clunkier, noisy action of the Fantoms. In fact, I am selling my Fantoms and buying a Fantom XR rack module instead. I also prefer using my GW-7 because it's simpler to sketch out songs using style arrangements than using Performance mode in the Fantoms (at least for my kind of material). By using the optional Style Works software, you have access to styles from all the top arranger keyboards (and the conversions are excellent)!

Hope this helps,

Michael

[This message has been edited by ocomain (edited 04-25-2006).]

#302814 - 04/28/06 12:44 PM Re: GW-7
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I played the e09 yesterday which sounds identical to gw7. I didnt add any fx to the sounds yet i was absolutely impressed that a cheap keyboard can sound so good. I didnt like a few styles but most were very good and a few like the india styles absolutely fabulous.

#302815 - 05/01/06 04:05 PM Re: GW-7
ocomain Offline

This weekend I set up my Fantom X as my main controller and played it quite a bit, just to get a feel for it again. Looks like I won't be selling it and getting the XR rack after all! I still prefer a synth type action for everything but piano stuff, but I absolutely love the Fantom X interface and how easy it is to find and edit presets and samples. At least I have everything set up now so I just have to swing my chair around and there is my GW-7! I'll use the GW-7 for song arrangements, then port them over to the Fantom or Garageband.

Michael

#302816 - 06/03/06 06:54 AM Re: GW-7
madvikins Offline

Hi there.
Im looking for general chats about GW7.
-I have baought this arranger and Im using it both for live and studio work. In the studio I use it to jag for new ideas. I finally record i n Cubase, but sometimes the sounds coming from GW7 is better than Halin 3 so I record those tracks as audio before mixdown...
-Live I use it together with my midifiles made in Cubase as a backbone for my band.

/M

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online