SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#301747 - 12/26/10 09:38 AM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The one thing UD and I have in common is we both rely heavily on our vocal ability. In my case it's because I'm a mediocre player at best, therefore, my vocals are essentially my right hand. Dave has an incredible right hand.

The slight delay caused by triggering the vocal harmony on the PSR series, and T1, T2 and T3 has always been a pain in the a$$ for those of us that use the harmony feature. While I was able to work around it for many, many years, it was still a real pain. The addition of a stand-alone vocal processor solved the problem, plus provided much better vocal effects.

Overall, I believe the S-910 is one Hell of a keyboard for live performers. And, when properly tuned, which does not take a lot of effort or expertise, the machine really rocks. Yamaha apparently fixed this, and other, problem(s) with the T4, and if that technology is transferred to the ensuing S-series models, they should be awesome. Who knows, I may just trade in my aging PSR-3000s. Gotta' finish the boat work first.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#301748 - 12/26/10 10:31 AM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I too would find the sort of annoying vocalizer glitch (delay) Uncle Dave describes unacceptable, as on both Tyros 2 and Tyros 4, I've got no problem cleanly activating/deactivating the VH on/off right at the moment I activate the foot pedal.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not on the S910, but on Tyros 4, when the Vocal Harmony 'pedal polarity' is set to "-", VH is activated/deactivated when the pedal is initially pressed, and when set to "+", VH is activated/deactivated only when the pedal is released. I got mine set to "-".

Ok, back to that S910 glitch. I honestly would have expected the S900 series to be able to work the same way it does on the Tyros, and if not, I would think it a bug that Yamaha could correct in an OS update, as it sounds like a software issue. That said, how many S910 owners have actually contacted Yamaha to report this, and if so what's been their response?

#301749 - 12/26/10 11:05 AM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Dnj Offline

The VH glitch is one problem on everything Yamaha previous to the Tyros 4 although I've yet to demo it my self or even see or hear any QUALITY demos dedicated just to the VH2....how can one person experience the bug & one person not?...that said the toyish KAZZOOISH garbling quality of all VH features on any PSR/S series arrangers is the big problem.....hopefully the VH2 on the T4 is a step in the right direction but even that is yet to be heard. WHY, WHY,WHY,.....can't Yamaha make a demo just on the VH2 feature and explain how it's been improved.....show how good it works vs the old VH for the last 10 years+ ? Why does VH take a back seat....they have made some great sound & sound demos so far I'm hoping we'll see a great VH2 on also...for singers this can be a deal breaker and a loss in sales also.

Happy New Year

#301750 - 12/26/10 11:17 AM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My apologies to current 910 users - I said it was an entry level, but I really didn't mean that. It's every bit a mid level contender, and if you can stand the key feel and don't use the internal VP a whole lot, it's actually quite a beast.

I admit to being a "vocal snob" when it comes to my shows ... I use the harmony a lot, and I honestly think it's not overused the way I approach it. You can't just turn it on and off and get the effect that I desire ... it has to be finessed, tweaked, and modified in real time all night long. I am constantly reaching for the dedicated level control on the PA800 - another reason the 910 did not make it in my lineup.

Seriously - this is an amazing instument with terrific sounds, but i need the thing to be my vocal monitor too, and the speakers and quality of the VP just can't compete with what I have. If I used an outboard PA more often and didn't need the "in my face" monitor - I might have plugged my guitar into the vocal input and used a standalone VP, but I need to travel light and be ready to do a show with one kb, one mic and one speaker ... no matter where it's placed. ( I need to hear my mix no matter where the PA winds up, or how loud it needs to be.)

Am I high maintenance? Yup ... but I charge for it and I love the result. I'm still trying to work my E3 into the rig .... I just love the feel and the sound with 2 hands on it. Hmmmmmmm

#301751 - 12/26/10 01:49 PM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Dnj Offline

No offense taken Dave......sorry it didn't work out for you...........but as a previous PSR21k,3k, player etc,.. .... didn't you know this was going to happen before hand? I know you too well & I don't think in anyway your going to carry & hook up two Kb's anywhere anytime soon for gigging, remember the
Mad Anthony Hammond days ...or maybe the new KORG unit due out at NAMM will tickle your fancy & you'll sell the PA800/Nord and use that .....anyway be happy which ever direction you go, I know it will always sound good no matter what you use.....breakfast soon & Happy New Year!

#301752 - 12/26/10 02:01 PM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
The VH glitch is one problem on everything Yamaha previous to the Tyros 4

Odd. I certainly haven't experienced this with either Tyros 2 or Tyros 4. Anybody else?

#301753 - 12/26/10 02:11 PM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Odd. I certainly haven't experienced this with either Tyros 2 or Tyros 4. Anybody else?

Dave can explain this better he uses the VH a bit different then most. That said ...Scot could you record a short VH/Vh2 demo song so we can hear the difference being you have a T2/T4? if you get time.

#301754 - 12/26/10 02:52 PM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

If I recall, the T2 experienced the problem prior to the OS updates. The T4 never had the problem. When I talked to Yamaha many years ago about this problem they said it had something to do with the processor not being able to handle all the tasks at hand with the amount of available RAM memory. I believe the T2 OS updates addressed this by consolidating some of the OS tasks, thereby freeing up RAM for the vocal processor on/off function to perform a bit faster. The problem is most noticeable when you are in the middle of a word when you punch the harmony button. If the song is somewhat slow, such as Have You Heard by the Duprees, you can usually time the foot pedal depressions and avoid the problem--but not always. The delay is about 1/4 of a second, which is very noticeable.

Gary

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#301755 - 12/26/10 02:56 PM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Scott,

If I recall, the T2 experienced the problem prior to the OS updates. The T4 never had the problem. When I talked to Yamaha many years ago about this problem they said it had something to do with the processor not being able to handle all the tasks at hand with the amount of available RAM memory. I believe the T2 OS updates addressed this by consolidating some of the OS tasks, thereby freeing up RAM for the vocal processor on/off function to perform a bit faster. The problem is most noticeable when you are in the middle of a word when you punch the harmony button. If the song is somewhat slow, such as Have You Heard by the Duprees, you can usually time the foot pedal depressions and avoid the problem--but not always. The delay is about 1/4 of a second, which is very noticeable.

Gary

Gary

After a while I just stopped using a pedal altogether and let my fingers do the walking..

#301756 - 12/26/10 06:27 PM Re: Back in the box ... goes back tomorrow!
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi U.D. and those who have responded:

Thanks so much for advising us of this problem. I can certainly see where this would cause significant grief during a performance. I understand your frustration and hope Yamaha becomes aware and resolves the problem.

Regards,

Dave Rice

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online