SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#300673 - 12/11/10 10:40 PM What does one play to this type of group?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I do volunteer work in senior residences and nursing homes. The other day I walked into a local place to volunteer my services and while waiting for the AD to come down, I noticed most of the residents were African-American. I haven't a clue what kind of music older A-A's like to listen to.

To complicate matters further, I remember the last time I tried to explain that to an AD, she got insulted and viewed me as something between a racist and an elitist.

Recalling that incident in my mind, I think I used good judgement by telling the desk to "cancel" my request to see the AD and I left, even though it was a volunteer basis.

I don't plan on playing this type of gig, but I'm curious if any of you others have encountered this situation?

Lucky

#300674 - 12/11/10 11:13 PM Re: What does one play to this type of group?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have found that the same music works just fine. I play mostly 50's and 60's music for them, regardless of color. I might do a few extra R&B stuff. Some of the songs I've had good response to:
Mustang Sally, My Girl, Jimmy Reed (like Bright LIghts Big City, Peepin' and Hidin', Big Boss Man, etc). Everybody around here likes You Are My Sunshine, I Saw the Light, I'll Fly Away, one or more of which I do to close the show.
It's important to keep it mostly upbeat. Get their toes tappin'! I believe good music crosses any color lines!
DonM

#300675 - 12/12/10 07:03 AM Re: What does one play to this type of group?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with Don. I play for lots of AA groups--the music is the same and I always get invited back for a return engagement.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#300676 - 12/12/10 07:43 AM Re: What does one play to this type of group?
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I think DonM is right-good music crosses any color lines.Play what you do best.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#300677 - 12/12/10 07:53 AM Re: What does one play to this type of group?
zuki Offline

Tell that (supposedly) AD to get a life! There are some wonderful ADs out there and also some real winners that need not be in that business. I see it every day. The bads ones move from job to job and eventually disappear.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#300678 - 12/16/10 10:05 PM Re: What does one play to this type of group?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I have found that the same music works just fine. I play mostly 50's and 60's music for them, regardless of color. I might do a few extra R&B stuff. Some of the songs I've had good response to:
Mustang Sally, My Girl, Jimmy Reed (like Bright LIghts Big City, Peepin' and Hidin', Big Boss Man, etc). Everybody around here likes You Are My Sunshine, I Saw the Light, I'll Fly Away, one or more of which I do to close the show.

DonM

Don.....good advice...thanks. I don't know why I didn't think to tap into my 50's and 60's repertoire and probably definitely Motown.

Thanks also for reminding me it's about time I started updating my routine. I'm forgetting that a lot of today's seniors grew up with the 50's/60's.

I love that Carl Perkins stuff you do/did on your SD5(Matchbox, That's Alright, Mama, etc). I'd really like to integrate those tunes into my act. Unfortunately (or fortunately), many seniors around here are still in the "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" era.

Lucky

#300679 - 12/17/10 01:38 AM Re: What does one play to this type of group?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I perform at several facilities that have a high minority population and I'd echo what Don said but also offer that the older big band stuff from artists like Duke Ellington and Count Basie go over great, as well.

Frankly, I find AA's among my best audiences and probably have more fun at places like that than many others. They know their music, they are enthusiastic and very warm and genuine. Its kind of funny being a white guy who seems to go over so well at facilities with large minority populations, but I absolutely love it.

Give it a try, they don't bite.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#300680 - 12/17/10 02:29 AM Re: What does one play to this type of group?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:

Frankly, I find AA's among my best audiences and probably have more fun at places like that than many others. They know their music, they are enthusiastic and very warm and genuine. Its kind of funny being a white guy who seems to go over so well at facilities with large minority populations, but I absolutely love it.

Ditto they are great group to play for.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 12-17-2010).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online