Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#300639 - 12/12/10 12:15 PM Re: Ipad Band
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
That view does not take into consideration Android devoices, Cloud, Windows 7, and the Kindle type devices. All of which cost significantly less than an iPad and more offer infinitely more function.

All of which by this time next year will be available on a huge range.

I like Apple, I have an iPhone myself but it ain’t the utopia Fan Boys believe it is. I can think of 3 instances in my time owning an iPhone where Apple actually killed certain functions and bough instability to the phone. The latest OS runs so freaking slow on my wifes 3G phone that it makes it almost unusable. Everyone on Apples forums feel the same way about it too.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 12-12-2010).]

Trouble is all these tablets arriving are only cheaper in the small 5" to 8" sizes.

I have not seen many in the "useable" size of 9"+ range. And those that are, are about the same price as the iPad anyway.

So they are really no cheaper in the comparable size range. And the iPad touch technology is so far in front of anything windows.

I do know this as I recently went from a touchscreen tablet laptop to the iPad. I could not be happier with the change.

And now the iPad has MIDI capability (tried and tested personally). It has even more appeal.

Just my 2c

Dennis

#300640 - 12/12/10 12:40 PM Re: Ipad Band
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
the iPad touch technology is so far in front of anything windows.I do know this as I recently went from a touchscreen tablet laptop to the iPad. I could not be happier with the change.

+1 ditto. Though I've never owned a windows OS touch sreen tablet myself, my brother in law did, and over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I let him play with my iPad while he let me play with his Windows OS Dell TouchScreen Tablet. He was immediately sold on the benefits of the iPad. My brother in law has since bought himself an iPad and now selling his Dell Tablet.

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:

And now the iPad has MIDI capability (tried and tested personally). It has even more appeal.

Which Apple iPad 'midi apps/hardware' have you tried & tested and recommend?

#300641 - 12/12/10 12:48 PM Re: Ipad Band
miden Offline

Hey Scott,

I did try catching up with you via Skype last night (your time) around 9.30, but you were prob working.

I have used it with the Line 6 Midi Mobiliser, using the Line 6 free Midi app. It's pretty basic and I would not really recommend it. BUt it confirms midi is definitely happening on the iPad.

I also have the Apple camera dongle (with the USB port) but I, along with many, many others am awaiting an app that starts utilising the Apple midi API's inbuilt into iOS 4.2.

I have connected my Edirol UM1-SX midi interface and it powers up fine, although with no actual app, I cannot go any further.

There are a couple of app designers looking at working with the camera/usb dongle. One has even bought it and is working on it.

Music Reader has now started the hunt for a developer to write into ITS iPad app, API midi support too.

Dennis

#300642 - 12/13/10 12:54 PM Re: Ipad Band
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
Quote:
I think it greatly depends on what you mean. MultiTouch Screen will be heavily featured on everything in the future as a controller, but the iPad as a musical tool it's really only every going to be a “Play Thing” to mess around on or a scratch pad for an idea or two.

It's operating system and it's price tag will ultimately be the reason why it will die a death very soon. Why buy an iPad with a limited closed OS when you can buy a full blown Windows 7 Tablet for less and that can do anything you want.

My 2 cents.
James.

Oh !!! Is Window 7 & an "open" Operating system? First time that I hear that one.
Maybe "open" to all kind of virus and madware.

#300643 - 12/13/10 04:26 PM Re: Ipad Band
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Oh !!! Is Window 7 & an "open" Operating system? First time that I hear that one.

I'll put it to you this way, name one single program you can install on your iPad that does not come from App Store and the censorship and terms and conditions that apple apply on programmers.

?.... I bet I'll be waiting a very long time to hear you name a single program.

#300644 - 12/13/10 04:34 PM Re: Ipad Band
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
the iPad touch technology is so far in front of anything windows

Dennis... seriously ?
Apples iOS doesn’t even remotely compare in function or ability when put up against a full operating system like Windows or Apples own full OS.

Feck me, you can't even open a webpage with Flash on the iPad let alone instal a single progarm that does not come from App Store.

#300645 - 12/13/10 04:46 PM Re: Ipad Band
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
Quote:
I'll put it to you this way, name one single program you can install on your iPad that does not come from App Store and the censorship and terms and conditions that apple apply on programmers.

?.... I bet I'll be waiting a very long time to hear you name a single program.

What define an OS for being "open" is NOT from where the application that run on it are coming from, but because that OS is of public domain and the source code available to be modify as people choose do it. ( some variation of Linux are a good example}.
In this regard Windows 7 is as close (propietary) as Apple iOS is.

#300646 - 12/13/10 05:01 PM Re: Ipad Band
miden Offline

Quote:
Dennis... seriously ?
Apples iOS doesn’t even remotely compare in function or ability when put up against a full operating system like Windows or Apples own full OS.

Feck me, you can't even open a webpage with Flash on the iPad let alone instal a single progarm that does not come from App Store.

I am talking about the touchscreen and the associated tech itself James. NOT the OS!!!

The iPad does exactly what I need in using it for live gigging. The laptop was overkill as all I used it for was to replay files and charts

I use my DAW for anything else.

I am perfectly aware that iOS is NOT a full operating system

BTW I did send you an email yesterday, you msut no have got it

#300647 - 12/13/10 05:02 PM Re: Ipad Band
Irishacts Offline

Hi Machetero

Nobody said anything about Open Source.

Go look at the question I asked you. That's what I'm talking about.

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 12-13-2010).]

#300648 - 12/13/10 05:03 PM Re: Ipad Band
miden Offline

Don't forget I OWNED a tablet laptop (Dell XT2 - the model with the fully functioning touchscreen) running Windows 7, with ITS alleged "wonderful" touch screen tech, and I've got to say it did not live up to the hype!!

So I do know exactly what I am comparing.

Dennis

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online