SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#300813 - 12/13/10 03:41 PM Remember when playing was fun?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'm now playing with a group of guys and we are doing a lot of this kind of stuff (at least at rehearsals). Takes me back 30 years when what we played actually made our juices flow. I'm getting better at this rock organ thing (I've always liked it, just never played it).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qBHUsGVOp4&NR=1

luv that rock/funk organ (@ 2:19).

chas

#300814 - 12/13/10 04:56 PM Re: Remember when playing was fun?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Nice stuff, chas, thnx, ... So when do WE hear some of what YOUR group is doing??? ...
These guys do a real good job, but did you read the comments below the vid - comparing them to the original band ?!?!? ...
Why is it that REAL GOOD musicians can't play a REAL GOOD version of a tune, give it their own flavor, and NOT be compared to the original ... it just takes us right back to the damned DJ mentality, where everything HAS to sound like the record ...
in the words of Charley Brown "AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!'
t.

#300815 - 12/13/10 05:04 PM Re: Remember when playing was fun?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hey, Chas...it's good to see you posting.

For me, playing is still fun...playing with the arranger is every bit as fun as when I play in a group.

There's a bunch of us who get together a few times a week to jam...I'm the lucky one, as I get to play a lovely, well maintained, Hammond B-3 with a Leslie.

Most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Yet, I still really enjoy playing the arranger, particularly the PSR-S910.

I assemble my own styles (that's also part of the fun), and I love having the ability to play with a "virtual band" at a moment's notice. I also like the control I have over what's tunes to play, and being able to spontaneously add extra, or different chords, without throwing off everyone else.

Both situations are a great deal of enjoyment for me; both are fun, but different kinds of fun.

The arranger is more profitable in my case.

Ian

PS...that guy in the video is a fine player...great funk chops (of course, having the real B-3 helps too )

#300816 - 12/13/10 05:53 PM Re: Remember when playing was fun?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
IRemember when playing was fun?

What do you mean, it's STILL fun! especially now with Tyros4!

Chas, it's great to hear about the renewed inspiration & fun your having playing with your group of buddies, and I agree that nothing comes close to creating live music with other musicians vs an arranger. I miss my jazz trio band days back in college and do try to p/u a couple of live musicians when I can too. Unfortunately or not, to meet my financial demands, I opt for the one man band arranger approach most of the time now, but have found I've now found a fresh shot of inspiration after having purchased Tyros4, giving me a fresh approach with new styles utilized on both core repertoire as well as the new tunes. - Scott

#300817 - 12/13/10 06:57 PM Re: Remember when playing was fun?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Are you kidding me? Playing is always fun. Sure, some days are better than others, but I'd rather be doing this than anything else I can think of. I loved it 40 years ago and I still love it today.

Joe

#300818 - 12/13/10 08:00 PM Re: Remember when playing was fun?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I know what chas is driving at - playing with other musicians can be a blast - but I don't ever foresee the day playing music is no longer fun for me, whether it be OMB, duo, trio, whatever ...
t.

#300819 - 12/14/10 04:57 AM Re: Remember when playing was fun?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
It is not one is better than the other, but what playing with other musicians offers. There is a point of excitement when you know something special happened and that can only happen with two or more musicians are playing. We always called a high. It just happens and you can not create it.

When the tenor sax took a solo I would be playing my guitar with purpose, I was adding to what he was doing – I was completely involved with his feel and his direction – Here is where the magic begins.

Playing a keyboard (solo, one-man-band) has it’s own beauty, I enjoy it. Here’s a word picture:
One-man-band – On one gets in the way – the drummer does not pick up or slow down – it sounds the way I want it to sound – more dollars. (grin)

Two or more musicians – I hear another view – what he is doing brings out musical emotion in me – I have someone to ad to – You can talk about the song you just played.
I guess from my post you can see that I miss the four/five guys I played with. IT WAS FUN.

John C.

#300820 - 12/14/10 05:07 AM Re: Remember when playing was fun?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
You got it, John. That's what I was talking about.

chas

#300821 - 12/14/10 08:15 AM Re: Remember when playing was fun?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Trading fours...variations on a theme...getting in that "zone" when the communications channel is complete to the point where you just know what happens next...that's what I enjoy most from playing.

Of course, all I ever wanted to be was a sideman, and, from the time of my first pro job at 11, I was a featured player; then front man of my own group.

I do everything I can to include other players on my jobs...about 50% of them.

I take home less bread, but I use my music jobs as contacts for my day work, so the better impression I make, the more day work I get.

I just don't like doing singles.

Music is best for me when it's played with others. The "love-hate" situation with arrangers still exists; it's just that I have had to rely on them for more jobs lately due to an injury. So, I guess, from a business standpoint, I'm glad to have the arranger option. I just don't enjoy playing them much as a single; a little more fun with others.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 12-14-2010).]

#300822 - 12/14/10 09:15 AM Re: Remember when playing was fun?
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
i have this DVD chas. Its quite good even just for providing ideas. !

I love playing with a live band and playing keys alone in piano style (no accomp ) and in piano style (with accomp). Its all good.

[This message has been edited by spalding1968 (edited 12-14-2010).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online