SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#299837 - 11/24/10 09:11 PM Re: Wholly Crap! This is how an arranger can be part of something superb!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Gary,
Did you listen to his solos? Not perfect but sounds were good and he is decent player.

Lee S.

I loved his playing .... and to be honest the best solos are those that aren't perfect. It is the human imperfections and improv that make for the best solos.

#299838 - 11/25/10 06:59 AM Re: Wholly Crap! This is how an arranger can be part of something superb!
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Nigel,
Thanks for the comments...I thought I had suddely gotten a poor tast for music. :-)

No, it's not perfect..neither am I or most players I hear...it got me exicited for the reaon you said....just beacause it is an arranger, does not mean it is not a great sounding synh as well. I thought the mix was pretty good too.

I have contacted him to see if he will share some of the tech. stuff he did to make it all work. I can build the cabinet...my good friend is a cabinet maker!

Maybe, just, Maybe I get my...so to speak, Yamaha Staga after all....:-)

That's what I really want, but it can't happen here in USA.

Lee S.

#299839 - 11/25/10 07:16 AM Re: Wholly Crap! This is how an arranger can be part of something superb!
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
That Tyros sounds fab. I think they should have their guitar player stand up and when he takes a ride, somehow, do something that brings attention to himself... like take a step forward or shine a spotlight on him or something. So that is apparent that there are real players there, not canned music. And same for the drummer.

#299840 - 11/25/10 08:44 AM Re: Wholly Crap! This is how an arranger can be part of something superb!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with Nigel about the solos--they show the humanistic quality of the performance. The sax is definitely a winner to my ears, however, I would like to hear comments from Randy (Saxman) on this aspect.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#299841 - 11/25/10 09:40 AM Re: Wholly Crap! This is how an arranger can be part of something superb!
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think it is a great sound overall, although they use some midi backing. Look at Diana and Beautiful Rose of the Morning. This is used on some vocals at least. I am not downgrading them, just an observation.

#299842 - 11/25/10 11:13 AM Re: Wholly Crap! This is how an arranger can be part of something superb!
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
No disrespect. Obviously these guys can play.
Would be cool to have more energy in the guys themselves. Playing ability is only a part of a performance. But hey who am I to judge.

Personally I think he could get away with a lot of those sounds on the new Motif XF - that thing sounds amazing! Even for acoustic instruments. That one is far more than just another synth. And that would release the band from the style. But I'm not saying that they sound bad at all. Hey I'm just 31 and I love this kind of music. I grew up with it - I can't play much of it, but I love it.

When they came to "Sweet Georgia Brown" they let themselves more loose.

But I would love to hear and see them kick the music stands away and just jam out.

The hum could be from a computer if they recorded on a laptop. But I see that red pilot light behind the guitarist - maybe a Fender Deluxe or similar - could be the source of the hum.

What worries me more is the extremely anoying microphone feedback on the vocals "Geh nicht in die Stadt". They might be pro players - but are certainly not pro sound engineers.

And I can't tell if they are running double drums, running the tyros drums on an auxiliary output utilizing it as a "click track" for the drummer, or just muting the drums and using only the percussion track. The drums don't sound like the standard Roland kit either - maybe they've midied them back to the Tyros? That would be clever.
Or maybe they have practiced so much that the drummer know the styles by heart.

Anyways I think it is pretty cool.
And kudos on the cabinet build - that's awesome.

DocZ

#299843 - 11/25/10 11:20 AM Re: Wholly Crap! This is how an arranger can be part of something superb!
doc-z Offline

These guys weren't bad.

However these guys are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeMDvCdrtc

They need a Tyros! And some help from Antares....

DocZ

#299844 - 11/25/10 11:40 AM Re: Wholly Crap! This is how an arranger can be part of something superb!
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
The thing is...he can play with the rest of the guys (Yep, more enthusiasum would be good) OR he can play one-man-band all with the Tyros Twin. If they were playing for a wedding or dance I think they would be different...my thinking is this is a supper club deal.

Tough to do on, say a Motif, Fantom, or a Kurz PC3 by itself.

And, I have not heard a better Sax on any synth.

Lee S.

#299845 - 11/25/10 01:16 PM Re: Wholly Crap! This is how an arranger can be part of something superb!
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The problem is that you cannot tell for sure what the keyboard guy is playing. Look at the beginning of Sweet Georgia Brown. That is a backing track. He is not playing that piano intro. The sax may be canned too.

#299846 - 11/25/10 03:49 PM Re: Wholly Crap! This is how an arranger can be part of something superb!
doc-z Offline

The piano, guitar comp (the mellow one far in the background), bass, organ pads and percussion are all part of the style. And the more I listen to it, the more I believe that the drums are midi'ed back to the Tyros. That's a Roland TD-20SX (Pretty nice! Would love one myself actually).

Nothing wrong with this setup though, I think it's pretty clever.

Is this a club? Or is this one of the guys garage converted to a sanctuary of coolness?

And I would love to find out where they got those lightsaber lights! They are AWESOME!!!! WOULD LOVE THOSE IN MY NEW STUDIO!

DocZ

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online