SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#299750 - 11/22/10 09:14 PM And the winner for best keyboard, best video demo, overall performance, etc is…
Lucky2Bhere Offline

http://www.sud-claviers.com/index.php/2008/09/17/168-g-70

I spent a few hours surfing, catching up on music videos, what’s new, etc. Most of the keyboard demos and players didn’t impress me. There was nothing bad about the keyboards themselves. Nor the players, particularly the professionals and company demonstrators. Some really knocked my socks off with what they do on these arrangers and workstations.

But I wasn’t looking to get my “socks knocked off.” I was looking to hear great demos of good listening music or dance music. Performances that the average person plays on jobs with his arranger keyboard. All I heard was the virtuoso pieces and your standard jazz and blues runs.

How come no one does songs like If I Were a Rich Man, or Do-Re-Mi, or any of the great show songs? Or Latin songs like Sway, Quizas, etc? Or even Beatles songs?

So that leads me up to what I considered the best demo for getting me interested in buying a new keyboard. I loved that G-70 when it first came out, and after hearing this gentleman play it, I’m falling in love with it again. Here’s hoping Roland DOES come out with a replacement. Meantime I enjoyed listening to what this fellow did with it.

The keyboard doesn't make the player, rather the player makes the keyboard.

Lucky

#299751 - 11/23/10 04:40 AM Re: And the winner for best keyboard, best video demo, overall performance, etc is…
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Fully agree with everything you said.
The G70 (and the E80) still sound brilliant today which shows how good they were when they were introduced.

What amazes me about Roland is, if they have no intention of producing new top-of range G & E models, why didn't they carry on making both G70 & E80 available for sale?

After all, their R & D costs should have been covered so it would all be clear profit and they would be pleasing Roland fans who would sooner buy an older model than none at all.

I tried to buy an E80 after they were discontinued and couldn't believe that they would sooner not make and sell a few more if the demand is there.

And yes, that guy knows how to make a board sound good without the virtuoso stuff - a refreshing change from the average demo.

#299752 - 11/23/10 06:46 AM Re: And the winner for best keyboard, best video demo, overall performance, etc is…
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Lucky a great video find....the guy is a great player..not the flashy type just a brilliant player showing a great keyboard and the still great sounds..

This shows why I say the G70 is simply the best keyboard....any open minded person listening can tell the sounds are unmatched ..piano , guitar, organ, accordion, strings , orchestral, sax ..and drums were all demonstrated...

Add to the great sounds, the sequencer, make up and cover tools, V beam, guitar mode..key feel and range...Anyone can see it is a winner.......And you can find one for under $2,000 used....Talk about "bang for the buck"....

#299753 - 11/23/10 07:10 AM Re: And the winner for best keyboard, best video demo, overall performance, etc is…
Dnj Offline

The weight aside......I would say the G70 is no doubt the Best Arranger Keyboard made to date.

#299754 - 11/23/10 08:07 AM Re: And the winner for best keyboard, best video demo, overall performance, etc is…
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The piano sounds, which have never been an issue with Roland, were outstanding. The guitars, IMO as an ex-guitar player, the guitars were marginal at best. Fortunately, the player is very skillful and really knows how to get the most out of the keyboard. Same holds true with the tenner sax--it's the skill of the player that makes it sound pretty darned good--not the sax itself.

Both players really know the instrument like the backs of their hands, something that was readily demonstrated by their ability to effortlessly more through the menus and pitch bend wheel without detracting from their playing.

Thanks for the link--I watched it twice,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#299755 - 11/23/10 08:35 AM Re: And the winner for best keyboard, best video demo, overall performance, etc is…
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Nice instrument..great player...no doubt.
That guy is a real PRO!
BUT, If I gave that guy my PA2XPRO for a week...he could make it sound just as good...maybe better.

Fact is a great player like that could sound great on any MOTL or TOTL arranger.

I think the real test is to take a below average player...like me...and see which instrument sounds best when played. I learned that a long time ago with different brands/models of Organs.

A Yamaha E323 just can not sound as good as a T3 or T4 no matter who plays it (as example).

IMHO, the best arranger for person is one that sounds best and has the features wanted for that person...AND the type of music played and where (Weddings?, RET. Homes, Living room? Dances etc)

Could ot understand a word they said...but it sounded good for sure!

Lee S.

#299756 - 11/23/10 09:46 AM Re: And the winner for best keyboard, best video demo, overall performance, etc is…
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Nice demo. When it comes to key feel & acoustic piano sounds, Roland definitely has the rest beat.In addition, What I notice right off on the G70 is it's chocolaty rich overall sound. The mid-upper registers though seem to lack the clean sparkle I appreciate on Yamaha & Korg arrangers. The only thing that's kept me from the G70 is the lug around weight and that it doesn't recognize jazz chords the way the other arranger manufacturers do. - Scott

#299757 - 11/23/10 03:41 PM Re: And the winner for best keyboard, best video demo, overall performance, etc is…
DannyUK Offline

Nice demo, the G70 sounds great.

My favourite demo though is this Tyros 2 demo by Michel Voncken, he really makes the T2 sing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcLL3331lww

#299758 - 11/23/10 04:14 PM Re: And the winner for best keyboard, best video demo, overall performance, etc is…
DannyUK Offline

#299759 - 11/23/10 08:44 PM Re: And the winner for best keyboard, best video demo, overall performance, etc is…
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
http://www.sud-claviers.com/index.php/2008/09/17/168-g-70

I spent a few hours surfing, catching up on music videos, what’s new, etc. Most of the keyboard demos and players didn’t impress me. There was nothing bad about the keyboards themselves. Nor the players, particularly the professionals and company demonstrators. Some really knocked my socks off with what they do on these arrangers and workstations.

But I wasn’t looking to get my “socks knocked off.” I was looking to hear great demos of good listening music or dance music. Performances that the average person plays on jobs with his arranger keyboard. All I heard was the virtuoso pieces and your standard jazz and blues runs.

How come no one does songs like If I Were a Rich Man, or Do-Re-Mi, or any of the great show songs? Or Latin songs like Sway, Quizas, etc? Or even Beatles songs?

So that leads me up to what I considered the best demo for getting me interested in buying a new keyboard. I loved that G-70 when it first came out, and after hearing this gentleman play it, I’m falling in love with it again. Here’s hoping Roland DOES come out with a replacement. Meantime I enjoyed listening to what this fellow did with it.

The keyboard doesn't make the player, rather the player makes the keyboard.

Lucky

absolutely awesome! I wish there was a 61 note version of the G70!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online