SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#296394 - 10/12/10 12:44 AM Re: WIVI (For advanced users)
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Double Post

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 10-12-2010).]

#296395 - 10/12/10 12:19 PM Re: WIVI (For advanced users)
casaet Offline

Loc: Norway
Thanks abacus.
My use of MIDI is very basic and simple, and it works, but it never hurts to learn more. I have already had a look at the article about audio interfaces, so now I am trying to find a unit that suits my simple needs. MIDI in, line out to amps, and computer connection. To get one of good quality I will probably get a lot more than I need, but I am used to that. The only thing I need is the audio interface to get started with Pianoteq. But I have enough gear to keep me happy, so no need to hurry.
casaet

#296396 - 10/12/10 01:05 PM Re: WIVI (For advanced users)
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Hi guys.

I was going to do a write up on all this, but I think if you just watch this video it will explain things a lot better.

This is not a sample library this is modeling technology and therefore is a million times more expressive.
http://www.wallanderinstruments.com/?mode=support〈=en

Bear in mind now that you DO NOT need a Breath Controller. It will work off the Wheels / joystick of your keyboard, or Expression Pedal, but to get the most you do need to use a breath controller.

Download the demo version and see for yourself.

Regards
James.

PS.. the Voilin I posted in that other thread is of East Wests PLAY engine.

wow!!! that's impressive! it really seems a groundbreaking product. And it sounds impressive,I own 3 Eastwest libraries so I should know. You are spot on, sample modelling is way better than samples. I've got the Eastwest simply because I didn't find anything that sounded better, but the libraries take ages to install and are cumbersome.

sample modelling is the best, and the Wallander instruments seems built to wipe out everything else.

#296397 - 10/12/10 01:08 PM Re: WIVI (For advanced users)

the website is ridicolous, though....where are the demos? where is the information? I don't get it...this seems a great product

#296398 - 10/12/10 01:14 PM Re: WIVI (For advanced users)
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
1. Open Labs Neko
2. Lionstracs Groove/Media station
3. Wersi OAS instruments (OAS 3 -7)

Two sound modules to throw into the pot.....

Muse Research - Receptor
SM Pro Audio - V Machine

Both however are not true open tech and require Wizard files to get the VSTi's running. The V-Machine is also limited in power and probably not suited to running Modelling technology but I said I'd just mention it anyway because these kind of devices are rare.

One to watch will be Lionstracs and their Rack Unit which is on the way. In my opinion this is going to blow the entire market wide open and will be hugely popular.

Regards
James

#296399 - 10/12/10 01:34 PM Re: WIVI (For advanced users)

I have found this stupid review:
http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/computers-software/virtual-instruments/wivi-v2-191837/review

I say stupid, because the 'reviewer' say that the sounds are passable! he whines about the price and the fact that 'using a breath controller require as much expertise as real players'.

What a stupid review....first off, I think the sound quality is amazing. The price reflects what is being bought. It's not too expensive for what it is. And the breath controller in conjuction with a keyboard seems a child's play. These guys aren't even willing to blow air into a breath controllers? Total wussies.....

My prediction is that this product will soon overshadow the best sample libraries available. Maybe not all of them (some sample libraries offer instruments that will not be found on any other product, like Eastwest's SILK, for example). But still....WIVI seems truly groundbreaking.

#296400 - 10/12/10 02:03 PM Re: WIVI (For advanced users)
Irishacts Offline

Yeah, he seems to contradict himself and totally miss the point at one stage.

Quote:
My prediction is that this product will soon overshadow the best sample libraries available.

I really think so too. It's a great product and it far exceeds the ability of a Sample Library in many ways. Being able to move the instruments on the stage and hear them change as if listening in the real world is amazing. It really give you total control over assembling your orchestra as sample libraries normal come with set instruments in specific configurations.

I hope to be able to splash out on the entire package myself soon. I've got to watch the pennys at the moment though with Christmas on the way.

Regards
James

#296401 - 10/12/10 02:19 PM Re: WIVI (For advanced users)
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi James,
thank you for all these great links.
Stuff I certainly wasn't aware of.
Pianoteq is something that certainly interests me, plus the basic version isn't terribly expensive.
Also like the Synful strings, but the price may not be worth it for what I do. I'm trying to spend my limited funds wisely haahaa.
Going to have fun downloading these demo's.
Interesting alternative to sample libraries.

Thanks so much.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#296402 - 10/13/10 12:14 PM Re: WIVI (For advanced users)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Simple needs need simple solutions.

Sadly, while this product is groundbreaking (mind you, there was much that I felt was quite ho-hum, too) it is anything but simple to operate, set up a stable computer environment to run it, and interface it with an arranger or simple keyboard like that...

#296403 - 10/13/10 12:32 PM Re: WIVI (For advanced users)
Irishacts Offline

Diki, I'm shocked you don't appreciate this.
WIVI and Pianoteq are two of the most exciting developments in Modelling Technology ever. Go download the demo versions and take them for a spin.

I guarantee you that you will be blown away.

Quote:
it is anything but simple to operate, set up a stable computer environment to run it,

Seriously man, PC's give very little trouble these days. Vista was a great OS and Win7 is by far the best ever to leave Microsoft.

James.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online