SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#296312 - 10/10/10 08:36 AM TC Harmony M help needed!
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Ok, so I got one of these bassed on the very good reviews here and the impressive internet comercials. I must be doing something wrong: I have the midi cable going from the Tyros "midi out" to Harmony M "midi in"

To be honest I don't hear a difference if the Harmony is pluged in with midi cable or not. I don't here harmony changing according to the left hand chord changes. The "harmony" sounds to my ears like 5th and octaves.

Maybe there is a setting on the Tyros 2 that I need to activate?

Please help!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#296313 - 10/10/10 11:32 AM Re: TC Harmony M help needed!
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Make sure you have the input channel of the Harmony matching the output channel on the Yammie of whatever part of the keyboard you are using to generate the harmony notes.

EG...If the upper is what you are using, and it is set in the MIDI settings on the Yamaha to channel 1, this is the receive on the Harmony M (its the default by the way)

If you are using the lower, use that channel, if you are using the arranger section use that.

From memory, the MIDI out TX is set to off by default on the Yammies, but you may have to check. It is easy enough to set under the MIDI setup pages on the Yammie.

Dennis

#296314 - 10/10/10 01:05 PM Re: TC Harmony M help needed!
montunoman Offline

Thank you Miden for your reply.

I'm not sure what you mean by "input chanel"

Here's what I've tried: I push the funtion button on the Tyros and choose "midi". On the Tyros screen I get these opptions:

"all parts"
"kbd & style"
"master kbd 1"
"master kbd 2"
"clock ext."
"midi acord 1"
"midi acord 2"
"midi pedal 1"
"midi pedal 2"
"midi off"

I'm in the right area? which setting should I use? I hear no differerance at all between them so I must be doing something wrong.

#296315 - 10/10/10 01:24 PM Re: TC Harmony M help needed!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Set the keyboard's MIDI options to KBD & Style. Now, hold down the A/B and ON buttons until the Harmony M's 3 LED lights begin to flash. Next, play a chord on with your left hand on the keyboard. The chord must be played below the keyboard's split point. This tells the Harmony M what channel to select for receiving the MIDI information from the keyboard. To exit the MIDI setup mode, press the A/B and On buttons until the lights stop flashing. You can find more advanced setup information on Page 20 of the Harmony M operating manual.

Because I have a relatively deep, soft voice, I set the Harmony M's Vocal Harmony settings to High and Higher. Then I set the Humanizer to the 9 O'clock position, and the Effects and Harmony to the 12 O'clock position. I set the input level to the 9 O'clock position, but this will depend upon your input source, mic, etc...

Hope this helps,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#296316 - 10/10/10 01:56 PM Re: TC Harmony M help needed!
montunoman Offline

Thank you Gary- I'm following you for the most part except when you say " hold down the A/B and ON buttons until the Harmony M's 3 LED lights begin to flash"

The A/B buttons are on the screen panel, right? Which "ON" button are you refering to? The one on the left side of the keyboard that turns the keyboard on and off? (The power button)

#296317 - 10/10/10 02:00 PM Re: TC Harmony M help needed!
miden Offline

Loc: The World
The A/B buttons on the Harmony M unit.
This puts it into MIDI channel set mode.

As I said it defaults to channel 1, but use the increment dial to change channels in the display (1-9 and then the same but with a dot next to it for the teens) whilst playing the keyboard section of the Yammie you want to use (assuming TX is on) just wait until you see some flashing on the H-M...then set that as the channel

Dennis

#296318 - 10/10/10 02:53 PM Re: TC Harmony M help needed!
travlin'easy Offline

The On button is the Harmony On/Off foot-switch/button.

Gary

#296319 - 10/10/10 03:12 PM Re: TC Harmony M help needed!
montunoman Offline

OK, guys that worked. sorry, sometimes I have my blinders on and don't look at the "whole picture" Thanks for the help!

Gary, like you, I have a Bose Compact. I'm having problems with the vocals distorting.

I'm using a Makie 808M mixer- I don't know if that's part of the problem. What kind of mixer are you using?

I'll try using the setting on the Harmony M to see if that helps...

#296320 - 10/10/10 04:21 PM Re: TC Harmony M help needed!
travlin'easy Offline

I rarely use a mixer unless I someone else performing with me. When I do, it's the Alesis 6FX, which sells for under $100 and does an outstanding job.

With my setup, I fire the keyboard main outputs directly into the Bose L1. My mic, a Crown CM-311A heaset mic, is connected to the Harmony-M, and the output of the Harmony-M is connected directly to the keyboard's Line/Mic In. The Keyboard's master volume is set at the 1 O'clock position.

The switch next to the keyboard's input jack is set to Line and, the volume level of the line in trim pot is set at the 12 O'clock position, while the keyboard's Mic slider is set at 85.

The Bose L1 Compact's input selector switch is set to Line, the master volume is set at approximately the 10 O'clock position for most jobs, but I have cranked it up to the 12 O'clock position on rare occasions. No distortion whatsoever.

Good Luck,

Gary

Almost forgot. If you need additional help, I can call you on the telephone and walk you through the setup process. Just email me your telephone number. I have unlimited long distance service for the U.S. and Canada.

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 10-10-2010).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online