SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#296293 - 10/09/10 07:13 PM Restaurant / Lounge acts
zuki Offline

Those here who are doing these venues, I would like to know what type songs you are playing and singing, relative to the usual crowd age.

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 10-09-2010).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#296294 - 10/09/10 10:02 PM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
Dnj Offline

Go see a few sucessful KB acts in your area, absorb what they are doing and get song ideas, watch the audience's reaction and the dance floor.

#296295 - 10/10/10 12:39 AM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Jim-

I can't speak for your local area but I can about Dayton.

There's isn't much going on. Not many restaurants have live entertainment these days, almost none have dancing available.

La'Berge on Far Hills Ave. in Dayton offers live music in their lounge but they go through musicians like we go through socks. The pay isn't anything to write home about, you have to wait until the next day to get paid and they're freakish about volume.

Some places have a quite piano in a corner somewhere. These gigs, usually 3-4 hours in length pay a top dollar of maybe $125-150 + tips for the night.

I've done all of them around Dayton and just don't have any interest in going back. Its not my bag. The Heritage House might have been the exception to that and there were some discussions about me playing a couple of nights a week there a few years ago but then the owner decided to retire and close the business. I drove by there the other night on my way to the Dayton CC and its still closed.

That's Dayton, Cincy would have to be better- I just don't know how MUCH better.

So...with little dancing, the type of stuff that works will usually be soft, light jazz standards, ballads from almost every era, some suitable pop stuff. If you're good with requests that can come in handy, for sure...

Hope that helps...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#296296 - 10/10/10 07:44 AM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

Most of the restaurant/lounge players here, which there are now only a few that are still working, play and sing 50s, 60s, 70s and some early 80s stuff.

I still do a restaurant job once in a while to help an old friend, the pay is lousy--less than half per hour what you would get for a nursing home job.

There are a few guys that I know that say they love doing the restaurant/lounge jobs. Every one of them is flat broke all the time.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#296297 - 10/10/10 10:51 AM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Filled in for a friend at an upscale Italian restaurant last night ...
http://lucianos.diningquest.com/dinner.php

Crowd age from 30's to seniors ...

I played in the bar/lounge area which is also used for dining ... Started out with a lot of bossa novas, light jazz tunes (I'm NOT a jazz player) from "The Real Book", some vocals in Italian ... moved into vocals of Sinatra, Bennett, Darin, etc. tunes, ... by the end of the night it was from 'Just a Gigolo', to 'My Girl' and a lot of 'up' tunes in between ... even threw in some country - 'Beyond The Blue Neon', 'Neon Moon' ... ...

Had people dancing, made some tips, got nice comments from clients and staff including one of the managers ... some even asked if I was coming back next week ... a good night ...
I enjoy these types of gigs because there is a 'different' interaction with the audience and the satisfaction that comes from that ... not necessarily "better" than other types of gigs, but satisfying none the less ...
And I'm not flat broke - but then I didn't make my living this way either ...

t.

#296298 - 10/10/10 03:43 PM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I've done a few restaurant gigs and I'm looking for more but they are very hard to get. You really have to talk to the owner and he or she can be hard to track down. Also it seems to have to be an indepent restaurant not a big chain like Red Lobster.

In this economy, an owner doesn't want to have live music if you take up too much physical space, and your not bringing bussiness....

As for your question, I played drums for several years at a trendy Mexican resturant. It was a four piece group that did Gypsy King type music. The crowd loved it- very festive type atmophere. In fact that same band is still there but I left for various reasons...

I sub on drums at an upscale steak house with a trio. The pianist sings like Sinatra and instrumental jazz and lots of bossa nova. He's had the gig forever and it pays well.

My solo keyboard gigs have been a bit rocky. I got a gig at brand new Italian place for a few months and then he went out of bussiness. Too bad. it was a nice place.

Then I did a Japenese resturant for almost a year and then ASCAP wanted a fees from the owner and she didn't want to pay. Too bad becuase she paid very well in cash.

Then I did a another steak house playing keyboards. That lasted a few months and then owner wanted to try the Kareoke stuff- he thought it would be in big crowds. It seemed so tacky for the place. Now he's using an "americana" style guitarist/singer which fits the room better as it is an upscale South Western type place.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think resturant work is better suited for solo piano and maybe vocal. It's a more transparent sound than an arranger keyboard. Volume is a hige issue at these places.

As for material, standards, 50-80's pop,lighter rock, R&B, country and some Latin seems to be good.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#296299 - 10/10/10 05:52 PM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
zuki Offline

Thx for all your replies. A little bit of everything, which is very useful.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#296300 - 10/10/10 05:56 PM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by montunoman:

Maybe I'm wrong but I think resturant work is better suited for solo piano and maybe vocal. It's a more transparent sound than an arranger keyboard. Volume is a hige issue at these places.

As for material, standards, 50-80's pop,lighter rock, R&B, country and some Latin seems to be good.

mm ... you are right on about the volume, especially in the earlier part of the night ... if the venue is such that the 'dining crowd' turns into more of 'drinks/talk/dance' crowd - such as where I worked last night - you can usually turn the volume up a little bit ...
I will ALWAYS ask a staff member in the room to check my volume early on ...
In last night's venue, I know to not point the speakers toward the bar, and I ask the bartender about the volume ... invariably he will say "just a little lower" at the start of the night ... I turned it down so little I doubt he could have heard a difference, but he gave me the 'thumbs up' anyway ...
However, in the main dining room of this place, they use a guitarist who does vocals ... very tasteful ... his volume is VERY low, and remains so all night ... I'm not even sure he can be heard in the back of the room ...

BTW, yes, the owner - who owns 3 other successful restaurants - pays 2 musicians both Friday and Saturday nights, and pays better than the going rate in most places ...

t.
PS ... Usually in the early hours I use minimal accompaniment on the arranger ... many times just bass and guitar along with the piano - or sometimes accordion - voice ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 10-10-2010).]

#296301 - 10/10/10 06:05 PM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
Dnj Offline

This is where the importance of using a Sound Meter comes in ....I always use mine on many venues......keeping the level in the 90db range seems to work best..
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103667

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-10-2010).]

#296302 - 10/11/10 06:11 AM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Tony's description of a restaurant gig pretty much parallels my experience except that I don't play in an 'upscale' restaurant ... light and soft to start and a party-like atmosphere when the wine kicks in. This is the only eatery gig I currently have partly due to, I think, the heavy handed BMI tactics in my area. I've been at this particular restaurant 11 years, down to 1 night a week. The exposure and the resulting private bookings gotten from the restaurant gigs may be worth the less than stellar pay.
Ciao,
Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online