SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#296247 - 10/09/10 04:02 PM Ordering a new kb case, some questions...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
After many years of almost daily use, I'm afraid both of my Yamaha cases for my Tyros kb's have bit the dust. So, its time for a new one...

I looked closely and favorably at this one which sells for $129.99:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SKBKB61/

Which seems very similar to the Yamaha cases. However, I noticed this product as well which sells for $89.00:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SKBKB61Kurz/

Q: Are they the same bad other than the Kurzweil label?

Q: Does anyone use this case and care to share their thoughts on it?

Thanks in advance!!!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#296248 - 10/09/10 09:57 PM Re: Ordering a new kb case, some questions...
Dnj Offline

This is the only case I use..
http://www.guardiancases.com/ck010.html

#296249 - 10/10/10 12:25 AM Re: Ordering a new kb case, some questions...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
This is the only case I use..
http://www.guardiancases.com/ck010.html

Donny-

That looks like a nice case. Is it available with wheels?

Thanks-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#296250 - 10/10/10 03:01 AM Re: Ordering a new kb case, some questions...
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Bill

Those cases at sweetwater are the same model number, but different price. Pretty funny really.

I have seen this particular case and I would not use it. Too flimsy to suit me.

If you were really happy with the Yamaha soft case, then maybe it would be ok for you. I have never seen the Yamaha case but the descriptions I heard made me realize I didn't want a case that was so long.

A lot of us use the Kaces KKP9KB but the new version is smaller and the Tyros doesn't fit.

The case from Oostendorp in the Netherlands is a case we all would love to have, 13 lbs, according to Mrs. Oostendorp, but it will cost almost $500 to have it shipped to the US. I would want the one with wheels and an outside pouch ( no pic for that currently).

The only way to get a good deal on shipping if a number of people placed an order for the US. This was mentioned a few years ago, but never happened.

The Yamaha reps in Europe all use and prefer this case over the Yamaha hard case. At about 36 lbs, I can see why.

They are made with Kevlar, in Poland. I'd love to know which company in Poland that would be
http://www.oostendorp-muziek.nl/Yamaha_Tyros_1_30065.html

The guardian case would be great EXCEPT the 61 is too short (weighs about 12 lbs) and the 76 is too long for my needs and no wheels. Steve Molnar gave me the outside dimensions which are 55 1/4 inches long x 20 1/2 deep x 6 3/4 high.

If you are ok with the length, and you don't mind a do it yourself with the wheels, if that is possible, then this could be a nice case for a Tyros owner.

The cases I have been eyeing on ebay are made in the same town and have the same phone number but have different user ID's.

I have recently seen a nycase co case and they are nice, lightweight, and cheap! The ad says 15 lbs, but they answered in their email about 20 lbs (about the same as the Yamaha soft bag and the Kaces KKP9KB).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ATA-CASE-YAMAHA-TYRO...=item1e5de046a2

This one shows 10-12 lbs. I emailed about weight and both suggest I call to find out the details.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-TUFFBOX-Road-Cas...=item45edd5bcac

I was going to call them this week and once I find out the weight as close as possible AND if it will work for a Tyros 3 or 4 (thinking ahead) I will probably make a decision.

I have spent many days and hours trying to find a case that is lightweight, sturdy, has wheels, doesn't cost $500 etc. I hope this helps you and other Tyros owners who don't want a Yamaha bag.

Best
Scott

#296251 - 10/10/10 06:10 AM Re: Ordering a new kb case, some questions...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Good stuff, Scott..

I'd love a new Yamaha case. The last I heard from Steve Demming was the cases they'd had available during the Tyros 1 and 2 roll-outs were simply gone. My impression from Steve was that there weren't any new ones coming down the pike...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#296252 - 10/10/10 06:27 AM Re: Ordering a new kb case, some questions...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Donny-

That looks like a nice case. Is it available with wheels?

Thanks-

Sorry no wheels, but lightweight and ridid....but why would you need them with a Rock N Roller cart ...it only adds weight.

#296253 - 10/10/10 09:09 AM Re: Ordering a new kb case, some questions...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I will always want wheels on my keyboard cases...the option is worth the extra half pound...the R-10 is not always the best option at some venues for me..the wheeled case is easier and faster..

BTW: if you guys are wearing out multiple cases..it is time for a reality check...buy a quality case...you are spending the money anyway on wore out cases..

#296254 - 10/10/10 09:32 AM Re: Ordering a new kb case, some questions...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I will always want wheels on my keyboard cases...the option is worth the extra half pound...the R-10 is not always the best option at some venues for me..the wheeled case is easier and faster..

BTW: if you guys are wearing out multiple cases..it is time for a reality check...buy a quality case...you are spending the money anyway on wore out cases..

Fran-

I agree wheels are just nice to have even its its for short distances like across a room or whatever.

The two cases I've gone through were those special yamaha cases that came with the original T1. I bought my T1 in early '03 and my T2 in '05 when it came out. I'm averaging about 425 jobs a year, so that's a lot of wear & tear on those cases.

The things that fails is always the same thing. The zipper. Not sure why. The zipper always seems to pull away from the corners over time and then you know you're heading into trouble.

I've taken them to 3 different shoe repair shops in SW Ohio and they all say the same thing. Its a specialty zipper that they never use...

I used to used a hardwood, heavy as **** case for my old Yamaha P-200 but the case weighed 50 lbs, which considering the 70 lbs. of the P200, made it pretty unpleasant to move about. It was almost indestructible, but was bad for my back...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#296255 - 10/10/10 04:29 PM Re: Ordering a new kb case, some questions...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
If you want to stay with soft cases, I had the Gator and it was great; probably the best bag. Donny's Guardian cases have always intrigued me too. Don't forget, if you go to wheels or semi-hard you add weight.

#296256 - 10/10/10 04:43 PM Re: Ordering a new kb case, some questions...
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
The Gator case isn't bad if you don't mind a 25 pound soft case

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online