SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#29613 - 02/08/03 02:47 AM Replacement FDD in SD1 notice
Roel Offline

A few weeks ago the FD-drive in my SD1 stopped functioning and I replaced it with a standard PC-drive (brand=ALPS)

BUT :
Since the replacement I detected noise from the HDD and FDD (while working) in the speakers. After some checks it turned out to be caused by a 'earth-loop' in the new FDD.

In the original FDD the housing and the GND of the power-connection are isolated. In the new one GND and housing are electrical connected..... what causes a loop after the FDD is mounted in the metal SD1-housing.

Solutions :
1. I took the easiest way. Mounted the new FDD isolated with double-sided adhesive tape to prevent metallic contact.

2. Open the FDD drive and try to find where the GND (0 V)is connected to the housing. Then disconnect it (usually a soldering / jumper)

Now all the noise is gone !

Waiting for OS 4.0 ........... waiting ......... waiting ........ waiting.... will it ever come ?

Roel

#29614 - 02/08/03 03:00 AM Re: Replacement FDD in SD1 notice
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
You know that the moment the new OS4.0 is officially released AJ will make an announcement on this forum to let you know. You guys will probably amongst the first public in the world to know about it. It won't be long now ....

#29615 - 02/08/03 04:42 AM Re: Replacement FDD in SD1 notice
Roel Offline

Hi Nigel,

Yes we know my friend.... but is SOOO hard to wait any longer !!

Roel

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online