SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#296144 - 10/11/10 07:50 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
Lee,
Yes I've watched many Stagea videos and I think they are incredible instruments. In relation to those wonderful performances there is something I don't like and it's they are pre programmed and all the players, if they are good of course, sound the same like a copy of the original song. That's great for a show but in my case as a home player I would get very bored practicing the exact same pattern and I would give up on the try. I love to flow along the music so I've never taken the time to program the registrations in my Psr for a performance and I know I wouldn't do it on a Stagea either. I play less than an hour a day during the week (when I can) and I wouldn't be able to practice enough those arrangements.
I have not found here other pedals than the Pk5 but I know Roland has another 2 octave model which is much more expensive and lacks all the programmability of the Pk5. Since it is a dedicated pedal for Roland instruments I was afraid it could not work properly with other brands and I didn't take the risk to order one. On the other hand remember you need spare room for a couple of volume pedals and foot switches for your right foot and it won't be easy to place them on top of the pedalboard cabinet. I use two pedals, one for volume the other for modulation wheel functions and 4 switches, 2 for sustain for middle an upper manuals respectively and two for variation up and break fill in the Psr.
Lee what you can do is only limited by your imagination.

Victor

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#296145 - 10/11/10 08:07 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Victor,
I suspect most here could care less what we are taliking about.
I will PM you and we can talk via regular e-mail.

PS..if anyone else here is interested in what we are talking about we will include you. :-)

Lee S.

#296146 - 10/12/10 12:25 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:
Well...after some fight with Norbert ( live-styler and Live-arranger developer)on next OS 5.0 we will remove this all windows arranger features.

yes, I think it's a good idea. Live-styler is far from my idea of fun. Isn't the program full of numbers?
Staying away from programs developed for Windows is a good idea.....personally I like none of them.
Q-ranger seems a very nice program. Hope that one day it will be able to be as immediate ,complete and intuitive as a Yamaha arranger.

#296147 - 10/12/10 12:37 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Note to all...

Just so there's clarity here, my comments are related to ME being utterly content with my sound for the first time ever. I'm not in anyway telling people to go buy an OASYS and a Mediastation and that YOU will then have the best setup for YOU.

in fact, I didn't think you were telling us to buy anything. But as you are telling us why your setup works for you, people also have a right to say why for -them- your setup would not work.
Both your reasons and ours are good reasons....it's just different needs and different wants

[This message has been edited by arranger_yes_pc_no (edited 10-12-2010).]

#296148 - 10/12/10 12:44 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now

Quote:
Originally posted by vagro:
I want to share my enjoyment with you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLq4x6D6Jqc

In this video I only play my arrangers and synth. The MS links the usb input/output from all the devices via Jack ALSA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6qw50Kk1-U

In this video I use simultaneously:
In the upper keyboard: 3 strings from the pa500, 3 edirol strings and 7 layers combi orchestral sounds from the Korg Tr, the latest regulated by an independent volume pedal.
In the middle keyboard: and edirol bass flute and Psr s900 strings with harrmony effect. Later on an Edirol clarinet.
In the lower keyboard Psr's strings and Pa500 choir.
In the pedalboard a Psr string.

The style is from the Pa500.

Note: In the video when I change the bass flute for a clarinet the vibrato (activated by the aftertouch sensor) remains too loud for the clarinet, uuups!

Vagro, this is by far the most out there setup I have seen. I can see why you prefer real instruments ,real keyboards to that PC crap. It's equipment for composers who haven't got time to mess around ridicolous PC problems and distractions. Respect.

#296149 - 10/12/10 12:48 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by arranger_yes_pc_no:
Vagro, this is by far the most out there setup I have seen.

I have to agree...and the playing is superb.

Ian the Impressed

#296150 - 10/12/10 01:38 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
LIONTRACKS,
You sure you want to do that?
I have the latest version of Live-Styler and it is pretty darn good.

The fact that Mediastation canplay Yamaha styles is not a big deal to you??
AND the new version plays Ketron styles even with a SD-2 if you want!

How in the world will you ever get any real arranger content without playing someone else styles...it take years and LOTS of $$ to create all those styles.

Lee S.

#296151 - 10/12/10 08:54 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
arranger_yes_pc_no and Ian, I appreciate very much your comments, truly.

Victor

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#296152 - 10/13/10 05:11 AM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally posted by vagro:
I want to share my enjoyment with you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLq4x6D6Jqc

In this video I only play my arrangers and synth. The MS links the usb input/output from all the devices via Jack ALSA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6qw50Kk1-U

In this video I use simultaneously:
In the upper keyboard: 3 strings from the pa500, 3 edirol strings and 7 layers combi orchestral sounds from the Korg Tr, the latest regulated by an independent volume pedal.
In the middle keyboard: and edirol bass flute and Psr s900 strings with harrmony effect. Later on an Edirol clarinet.
In the lower keyboard Psr's strings and Pa500 choir.
In the pedalboard a Psr string.

The style is from the Pa500.

Note: In the video when I change the bass flute for a clarinet the vibrato (activated by the aftertouch sensor) remains too loud for the clarinet, uuups!

Fantastic setup, fantastic playing.

Sadly the only thing it has in common with mine is the little Korg nanokontrol thingy.

#296153 - 10/13/10 05:59 AM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Trying to have it both ways, James...?

Yes, FOR ME (and for what is probably a pretty large percentage of live gigging arranger users) a one keyboard setup is a fairly important part of our equipment decision process. And I get enough flack from most of them for using just ONE keyboard that weighs less than EITHER of your choices..!

Given that the MS was SUPPOSED to be an arranger, still has the arranger software in it from the original release (with updates), it is still fair to talk about it in arranger terms. Having to buy a REAL arranger to make it work is totally unacceptable. From the very beginning, I have always said I 'get it'... I understand the POTENTIAL of the open arranger. If, in any real PRACTICAL sense of the word, it offered the ease and convenience of a modern TOTL closed arranger, it would be a complete no-brainer because of how much FURTHER you could take it.

But, after so much back and forth between us, and many other open arranger evangelists, well, first of all, your admittance that you would be happy as you are now in arranger terms with a PA2Xpro and an MS, all I can hear here is a frank and total admission that, after you promised us that you were working on making the MS into as good an arranger as a closed one, you have pretty much given up on that pipedream.

As, to be frank, pretty much ALL the posters here on this forum that kept telling us the same thing must have done so too. We, as per usual, are certainly not hearing any music done in arranger mode on an MS that proves otherwise. Or, for that matter, proves us right..! The MS... the quietest arranger in the world!

I know it bugs the hell out of you whenever I try to inject a note of reality into the proceedings, but this IS an arranger forum. You post that you are happy linking two workstations together, but get mad when it is pointed out that ONE of them was sold to us as an arranger, and still, years later, sucks! If you want the happy reception of your news, it is likely you would get it posting this on a workstation forum...

I am happy you like your sound. I am happy you like linking the Oasys and the MS. I really am....

But I'm an arranger player. If I want to go and talk about WS's, and VSTi players, and stuff like that, I'll go to a WS forum. I am pretty sure, were I to post there how happy I was with a product that was SUPPOSED to be a great WS but turned out to suck, and was, in fact, a MUCH better arranger, it would get the reception it DESERVED on the WS forum! And complaining that the rest of them just didn't get it would get me the reception I deserve!

I actually agree with Diki here, even though he sounds like a broken record, he makes some very valid points (no offense)....

I have not heard one performance come out of mediastation that actually impresses my ears. I am more visually impressed by what I see though. it does look like an awesome system - check out this video below: the drum software looks so good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE-cCt4-caE&feature=related

Maybe Lionstracs need Bert Smorenberg from Yamaha demoing their products??

the Yamaha Motif XF with flash memory is a dead set winner for me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSDOORN79r0

Nick

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online