Hi guys.

I just want to share my feelings on this because I think for the first time ever I am utterly content with my sound and the ability of the two keyboards I have. Obviously it started when I got the OASYS as I downsized my Studio heavily because I felt HD-1 made everything else PCM based I owned at the time obsolete, and all the other engines gave me the tools to be ultra creative when designing sounds. That and the clarity of the OASYS sound and it's ability to be used in a mix without ever giving me problems with the spectrum being overloaded and muddy makes the OASYS an utter dream machine to work with on countless levels. Truly a KORG masterpiece of the highest order that is so good sounding it's almost impossible to explain to anyone who does not own an OASYS.

However, regardless of the label it once had, it is not an open keyboard, not even close, and it is something that KORG were able to discontinue unexpectedly which has also defined the value of the investment in the OASYS. I'm not going to list out the points and reason why because it's been said countless times on the forum and at the end of the day, it is what it is and at this point I'm happy with that and I do love the OASYS for all it is.

That said though, this is where the Mediastation steps in as the perfect companion.

From an investment point of view first, the Mediastation is a true Open keyboard that is technically unlimited. To be more accurate, my unit in it's current configuration is only limited by the speed and ability of the CPU, Motherboard and RAM that's installed. If years from now I need more power I can just replace those parts and I have a current model again. The Lionstracs OS is open ended and those who bought a keyboard 6 years ago are still getting free OS updates, the exact same OS updates the people with the latest keyboards are getting. Beyond that again you then have the fully open part of the system which allows you to install your own software or favourite programs, VSTi's or massive Giga Libraries. So even if at some point Lionstracs stop developing the OS for my model, the system is still open always to accept new software.

It offers way more than just a PC too. The Lionstracs OS allows you to integrate anything new you install with the custom Lionstracs interface. When I select sound for example from massive giga libraries, I do not load any software or have to interact with a PC interface. I select the sounds no differently than I do on my OASYS. So you do get the tight integration of a closed system, plus all the benefits of an open system at the same time. Dedicated buttons control everything too which makes operation of the system extremely tightly integrated. I can call entire VSTi's setups at the press of a single button and jump between multi setups at the press of a button.

Now pair all that with the OASYS and where do you go after that ?

It's got to be one of the most powerful combinations of technology around. Open Labs don't even fit into this as an alternative because they are not even close to being as tightly integrated at the OS level as Liosntracs keyboards. An Open Labs keybaord is for the most part just a PC in a keyboard assembly.

Maybe in the future KORG will take the OASYS concept and allow it to evolve into a true open keyboard with all the benefits of OASYS technology, but at this moment in time I have to say that I must have the ultimate setup anyone could have right now and I feel like telling people about it.

Bottom line... KORG + Lionstracs = The future now. If I were an arranger user, give me a Pa2X and Lionstracs and I'd feel the same way.

Regards
James