SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#295601 - 10/06/10 02:28 PM Casio Privia PX3
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I read Keyboard magazine's review on the new Casio PX3 and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. How similar is it to the PX-330 which has speakers. I'd be interested in the USB/SD card options for playing midi files. I played a PX-100 at a funeral home today and was pleasantly surprised at the keyfeel and piano sound. How much better are the PX3/PX330? http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/casio-privia-px-330/October-2009/101537 http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/casio-privia-px-3/October-2010/121671

#295602 - 10/06/10 03:05 PM Re: Casio Privia PX3
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I read Keyboard magazine's review on the new Casio PX3 and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. How similar is it to the PX-330 which has speakers. I'd be interested in the USB/SD card options for playing midi files. I played a PX-100 at a funeral home today and was pleasantly surprised at the keyfeel and piano sound. How much better are the PX3/PX330? http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/casio-privia-px-330/October-2009/101537 http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/casio-privia-px-3/October-2010/121671

My wife is anal about keyboards and when she could not carry her Roland RD700 around anymore we looked for a small light replacement. She played the Yamaha P-85 (No split, no line outs.... deal beaker) Ended up with a trip to Guitar Center where she decided the Privia was the best choice for her. At $700 we bought two since working
at the beach can much up a board really fast.

The Korg P-250 is really imressive as well if one does not want a split. I think it sounds better an is a much better value.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#295603 - 10/06/10 03:41 PM Re: Casio Privia PX3
cassp Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
...The Korg P-250 is really impressive as well if one does not want a split. I think it sounds better and is a much better value.

What did you like about the P-250 over the PX-330? I like to play an accoustic bass on my left hand. Can you layer?

#295604 - 10/06/10 03:48 PM Re: Casio Privia PX3
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
What did you like about the P-250 over the PX-330? I like to play an accoustic bass on my left hand. Can you layer?

I liked the Piano sound over the Yamaha P-95 and the Privia PX300 (have not heard the 330) and the variations of each sound times 3. The stand and METAL sustain pedal made it a great deal at $699. Yes you can layer by pressing both sounds. No split though for those who play left hand bass its a no go. http://www.korg.com/product.aspx?pd=134
That is the only reason I would not buy one for my wife...No split which is a shame becasue it is a nice unit all around.

I just think its a better value than what Yamaha has in that prce range right now. The Previa might even be better though if one needs a split. I am impressed with Casio as of late. Would love to hear the WK series for fun.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 10-06-2010).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#295605 - 10/06/10 04:00 PM Re: Casio Privia PX3
Dnj Offline

Common stop fooling around with the Toy Crap Pianos...
http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/

Nice demos..
http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Vide...ew.flv&title=1. FRONT PANEL OVERVIEW&duration=4:50&filesize=24.86 MB

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-06-2010).]

#295606 - 10/06/10 07:36 PM Re: Casio Privia PX3
cassp Offline

Donny, Donny, Donny,
I love and have a Kurzweil. They are tops when it comes to digital pianos and synths, BUT the PC3LE7, which is a 76 board and probably what I might choose, lists at $2k, even the SP series is over a grand and I didn't care for the panel design on those.

Right now, the PX-330 is available from Amazon.com for $599. As the Keyboard reviews of that and the new PX-3 state, there's not much available as good as these two boards for twice the price.

What's attractive to me, and I want to check this out myself, is the accompaniment and sequencer features. If there are 6 good styles and decent GM sounds (which have been reviewed as weak) then I'm buying. For $600 I'd have a great piano keyboard, some decent speakers, styles and SMF playback via SD card. That beats a Prelude in my book.

#295607 - 10/06/10 07:43 PM Re: Casio Privia PX3
Dnj Offline

Cass I'd think before buying.....
go & really demo these cheap units ...

#295608 - 10/07/10 08:04 AM Re: Casio Privia PX3
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
cass and others,
there is a huge difference between the piano sound of the old privia sound (PX310 and PX320) and the new PX330. It's a whole different technology. The dynamic variation in the new 4 sample per key piano which goes from a very soft and delicate to very bold and realistic grand piano sound. I would also like to remind those who haven't tried this to play a key as rapidly as you can and on the Yamaha P95, Korg 250 and others you can't retriger the note unless the key comes all the way up and on the PX330 it will retriger when only slightly coming back up.
The styles I would rate at about a 5 out of 10. The GM voices are for the most part fine. I have about 400 tune1000 midi files on an SD card which I demo and they all sound fine. Having the chord sequencer which you record chord sequences using the accomp. is an added plus. There is a 16 track basic sequencer as well.
Anyone wanting a keyboard with 88 graded weighted keys and very good sounds and stereo outputs and inputs for less than $1500.00 this is the best option in my opinion. I've not had any issues with build quality and have had only one bad key on dozens and dozens I've sold.
The PX3 offers better and more piano variations because this model has more options with insert effects and tone parameters which both the Casio programmers and the individual can adjust to their liking. Also the PX3 has the "ivory touch" keybed which simulates an acoustic piano for feel on the keys. It doesn't include speakers and doesn't have the auto accomp. section or sequencer. It does however still play standard midi files using SD cards and has GM voices as well. It features better midi controller functions including the ability to play 4 internal sounds (2 on each side of a split) and 4 external sounds via midi.
Bang for the buck................I rate these 2.....10's!

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#295609 - 10/07/10 11:04 AM Re: Casio Privia PX3
Kingfrog Offline

Casio is like Hyundai....They are sneaking up quietly on the Pariahs .

Kurzweil is not even close to the Kurzweil boards they made before they sold out to Lernout and Hauspie in 1997 followed by the issues and layoffs that occurred with a hostile takeover in the Mid 2000s. Few new players realize what a premiere company Kurzweil was 15 years ago in it's hay day.

I used to think any keyboard with speakers on it was a toy......before I laid hands on my first experience with a Yamaha Arranger 5 short years ago. Never even knew they existed nevermind the great samples my Triton.QSR.U220/Proteus 1 and Proteus 2000 could not match...sold all of them to buy the PA2x first (being a huge Triton fan)then the Tyros and later the XS8 to replace the WS features I missed selling the Triton, and never looked back.

My wife is far more critical and has been playing for a living for 30+ years and her board of choice was the Roland digital Pianos. If she likes the lighter Casio, and she could have any board she wants. the weight to quality ration is the best according to her..... I believe it because no one is more anal than her when it comes to gigging. She will not play anything but 88 keys on a solo gig. The only time she will use the RD700 is for band or show gigs which she hates doing anymore.
http://www.myspace.com/beccabaxxon

(of course she doesn't list the Casio in her equipment list for the same reason a few have indicated....LOL)

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 10-07-2010).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#295610 - 10/07/10 09:22 PM Re: Casio Privia PX3
Lucky2Bhere Offline

George,

Thank you for posting that Casio Privia info. I always respect what you have to say.

I've been going down to my local GC to try out both the 330 and the PX-3 whenever I get a chance. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the salespersons are useless. You told me more in one paragraph than they were able to tell me collectively. These days I'm happy if they even know how to turn the machine on!

I didn't know of those differences in the two keyboards. I assumed the PX-3 being the latest was also the "greatest." When I managed to speak to Gus Casio, I remember he DID tell me I might like the 330 better. Now I see what he means.

I found the pianos to be very comfortable to play, but a little harsh sounding. I've since learned about the "adjustment" and, of course, EQ-ing it. And, with the right amplification, I can see that having one heck of a sound.

I, too, would give them a 10, (nice touch, 88 keys, super-lightweight, nice-looking, etc) especially if one was to compare them to other brands in the same price range.

For that kind of money, I can buy a few and give them out as party favors!

Lucky

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online