SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#295439 - 10/05/10 07:47 AM Janis Joplin RIP 40 years ago....
Dnj Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbdSmHy4cLk&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/arts/music/03joplin.html
http://tinyurl.com/273q3bt

#295440 - 10/05/10 09:33 AM Re: Janis Joplin RIP 40 years ago....
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I had the privilege of seeing her perform live on two occasions at the Fillmore East in Greenwich Village in the 70's.

What a talent! She cannot be judged just by listening to her voice only, you actually had to see her show to appreciate the raw talent and energy she put into her singing. She was one of the most communicative and expressive singers I've ever seen.

A close second was Joe Cocker who also had his raw style of interpreting his songs.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#295441 - 10/05/10 09:52 AM Re: Janis Joplin RIP 40 years ago....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I had the privilege of seeing her perform live on two occasions at the Fillmore East in Greenwich Village in the 70's.

ditto on that .....I saw Janis at the Fillmore and many other great acts when I was a kid also.....was in the Village all the time .......I also saw Sly & the Family Stone at the Electric Circus on St Marks place in the 60's OMG what a show!!!

"Gotta Take You Higher"

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-05-2010).]

#295442 - 10/05/10 03:16 PM Re: Janis Joplin RIP 40 years ago....
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
You ain't kidding; my father took me every night and I think I got higher sitting their breathing in all the weed that was being smoked!!! No wonder my father would fall asleep during those shows.

I was fortunate enough to see all the major acts back then including Hendrix, Steppenwolf, The Who, Fleetwood Mack, Chicago, Canned Heat, Jefferson Airplane w/Grace Slick, Spirit, Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young; The Doors, Sly Stone, Santana, etc, etc. Who knew back then they would become legends.....at least to me!

What great memories.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#295443 - 10/05/10 03:29 PM Re: Janis Joplin RIP 40 years ago....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
You ain't kidding; my father took me every night and I think I got higher sitting their breathing in all the weed that was being smoked!!! No wonder my father would fall asleep during those shows.

I was fortunate enough to see all the major acts back then including Hendrix, Steppenwolf, The Who, Fleetwood Mack, Chicago, Canned Heat, Jefferson Airplane w/Grace Slick, Spirit, Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young; The Doors, Sly Stone, Santana, etc, etc. Who knew back then they would become legends.....at least to me!

What great memories.

I'm glad I was able to see all those groups and be a part of the Woodstock era bands...as a young KB musician I absorbed alot of what I heard at those concerts everywhere I went for my own inspiration, the 1960's was a special time. I still get a chill when I hear many of those songs on the radio.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online