SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#295422 - 10/04/10 05:05 PM New sound module vs new keyboard
ytlevine Offline

Hi all.
I've been around SZ for a while, but haven't posted in a bit, but I've been reading the posts about the Tyros4, and contemplating my options.
I still use a PSR 3000, but I've used a friend's Tyros3 extensively, and I liked it a lot.
I was thinking of trying to get a Tyros4, if I can get the money together, but I was speaking to a friend today, and he said that it may make sense to look into getting a sounds module instead.
From what I hear, the Yamaha Motif Rack modules have some of the best sounds out there (feel free to chime in if you think or would recommend otherwise).
Question is, is it more worth it to save up for a T4?
Or should I be investing in a sound module and use that with my PSR 3000 now?
And will the sound module integrate well with the PSR 3000?
Looking forward to your replies.
Thanks a lot!

Yitzchok

#295423 - 10/04/10 09:28 PM Re: New sound module vs new keyboard
Kymon Offline

My personal experience :
sound modules are great for home/studio use, but not for live playing.

The nice thing about arrangers is that you can select a style, a sound and then start playing. A sound module breaks the flow, as you have one more thing to take care of.

But if you are the kind of player that likes to program, setting up each song at home to send the proper patch changes, a sound module may work very well for playing live.

#295424 - 10/05/10 12:48 PM Re: New sound module vs new keyboard
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sadly, Yamaha rack modules have enough differences between the Mega voices and SA type voices from the Tyros and PSR lines and the Motif line that you can't use them as a substitute for a full arranger, if you use a software Yamaha style player.

Basically, other than the Audya, your ability to duplicate an arranger's sounds on a module is virtually nil.

#295425 - 10/05/10 01:17 PM Re: New sound module vs new keyboard
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Sadly, Yamaha rack modules have enough differences between the Mega voices and SA type voices from the Tyros and PSR lines and the Motif line that you can't use them as a substitute for a full arranger, if you use a software Yamaha style player.

Basically, other than the Audya, your ability to duplicate an arranger's sounds on a module is virtually nil.

+1...Been there, tried it (with several different keys and modules including the ES and XS racks), it doesn't work in the real-world.
Way too convoluted, and even after all that setting up and configuring, you get a poor result. Sound is pretty good though!!!

Dennis

#295426 - 10/05/10 01:37 PM Re: New sound module vs new keyboard
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Actually a sound module properly integrated into the setup is great...it is just like it's not there..BUT, in order for that to happen all the setups you use must have all the MIDI bank/pgm changes all IN THERE so when you select a style / performance / registration / song book entry for a song all the MIDI messages get sent out to the sound modules (and light controllers if you wish :-))

Many PRO setups on stage use sound modules all over in the corner in a rack...just works.

All that said...Get the T4 as the Yamaha arangers (T3 in your case) do not have a very PRO level of MIDI implementation and it will drive you crazy!

Lee S.

[This message has been edited by leeboy (edited 10-05-2010).]

#295427 - 10/05/10 05:25 PM Re: New sound module vs new keyboard
ytlevine Offline

Thanks all for the replies.
Guess that's out the window now...
Problem is that I really need to somehow get the money together to upgrade.
When you're a young player starting off, and you don't play too many big gigs yet, and you don't really want to borrow the money to get the equipment you need, it ain't easy.
All you folks with an already steady supply of gigs have it easy

#295428 - 10/06/10 09:03 AM Re: New sound module vs new keyboard
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Don't let anyone here kid you... You do NOT need the latest greatest to make a living. In fact, the preoccupation with whatever is newest is rarely the sign of a skilled player, or those secure in their profession.

There are some here working extensively with no better than what you currently have, and some with the EXACT same arranger. If you put your emphasis on learning to play better, and finding your 'niche' musically, you tend to learn that the gear has little real impact on how many gigs you get.

You already HAVE the equipment you NEED. You are simply talking about what you WANT. Be careful to not confuse the two.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online