SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#294796 - 09/28/10 06:52 AM Convolution Reverb
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Does anybody know... what exactly is convolution reverb? And is it something worthwhile having? Check this out:
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/p...paign=Reflektor

Glenn

#294797 - 09/28/10 08:49 AM Re: Convolution Reverb
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I used to see it in conjunction with VSTi's. It is a complicated algorythm, rather large in nature, and involves scripting. It is probably refined and packaged now.

It was supposed to be the ultimate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution_reverb

#294798 - 09/28/10 01:47 PM Re: Convolution Reverb
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Convolution reverb involves extracting the reverb characteristic from a sample and applying it to a new sound. It requires playing a known impulse (eg. white noise or pistol shot ) into a space, recording it and then analysing the behavior of the sound in that space and using that information to digital recreate that reverb for a new sound source.

For example a convolution impulse could be created in the Albert Hall then the convolution impulse response would be used to apply the reverb characteristcs of the Albert Hall to your own music.

Obviously you wouldn't need to go to the Albert Hall yourself but just get the Convolution Impulse Response file that had been created there and use it with software that supports synthesizing reverb from those files.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 09-28-2010).]

#294799 - 09/28/10 02:29 PM Re: Convolution Reverb
Sokratis 1974 Offline

Loc: Hellas, Creta, Iraklion
And with convolution method can to capture more sonic character....
No only Reverb....
Very good example it is the Focusrite with the LIQUID series product.......
With this product, Focusrite with Sintefex have capture the sonic character in many, many Compressors, pre Amps, and Equalisers....
This has been achieved with technical similar like Sample_layers, that we know from samplers...
However here the difference they is that this it becomes in DBLS......
I am working software and hardware but with Liquid mix, I feel as somebody that it has always!!!!......
I love this techonology.....

[This message has been edited by Sokratis 1974 (edited 09-28-2010).]

#294800 - 09/28/10 02:43 PM Re: Convolution Reverb
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've used Altiverb (a Mac convolution plug-in) since it first came out. It is AMAZING at doing natural reverberation and ambiance. Not just big environments, but also smaller ones. I rarely use drum samples on a production without putting them all in a convolution drum room, to get some realistic 'space' around the usually too dry sampled sounds. It is amazing how this simple step livens up a sequenced track and makes it far more 'real'....

Plus, any orchestral work, string sessions, whatever, you can put in a proper sampled hall, Concertgebouw, Carnegie Hall, La Scala, etc.. Compare any of these to your 'Hall' preset on your arranger's reverb, and you start to realize just how MUCH you are missing!

Highly recommended.

#294801 - 09/28/10 09:44 PM Re: Convolution Reverb
Nigel Offline
Admin

#294802 - 09/28/10 09:45 PM Re: Convolution Reverb
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Sokratis 1974:
And with convolution method can to capture more sonic character....
Not only Reverb....

Yep it can be applied to any sonic quality. Even includes microphones.

#294803 - 09/29/10 07:14 AM Re: Convolution Reverb
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
So I get the idea, from what Diki says, and listening to the NI demo tracks, that convolution reverb just sounds a whole lot better than "non convolution" reverb, technical aspects aside. Anyone else been using it for recording?

#294804 - 09/29/10 02:20 PM Re: Convolution Reverb
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No, I didn't say that. In fact, for sounds that evolve, and have random characteristics (like the best digital reverbs), the real thing is often the best choice. I'm not even a huge fan of convolution compressors and EQ's and mike emulation, simply due to the non-linear nature of most of those. You have to think of a convolution processor as somewhat similar to sampling a sound...

It's VERY good at capturing things that remain consistent, but not so good at capturing sounds from sources that are ever-evolving, and change radically from moment to moment. For instance, the better reverbs can put quasi-random modulation on the tail of the reverb (the Lexicon sound!) to make it more interesting, but a 'sample' of that reverb only captures the modulation in one state, and then applies it IDENTICALLY to everything. The overall effect is subtle, but noticeable.

Let's be honest... if convolution WAS the perfect emulation of everything, everything would be done by convolution! But there is much that the real thing is still better at. Convolution comes CLOSE, just as sampling real instruments comes CLOSE, but whether it's 'close enough' is only up to you...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online