SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#293981 - 09/21/10 08:00 PM Re: Which company in YOUR opinoion (and why) has made the greatest LEAP forward?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Since we are picking arrangers, and not synths or workstations, I'd have to say Yamaha, and not just because I work for them, and/or use their products.

In fact, I work for them because I like their products.

The introduction of Mega voices, and Super Articulated Voice generations one and two, are the major advances.

Ketron comes in a late second with their recently developed audio based styles, although the technology is still not as good as it could be.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-22-2010).]

#293982 - 09/21/10 09:24 PM Re: Which company in YOUR opinoion (and why) has made the greatest LEAP forward?
DannyUK Offline

Although I still own a Korg and used to own a Ketron, I'm with Ian on this one.

I think Yamaha have created the most complete keyboard out there that wouldn't sound out of place in whatever arena or audience you play in. Maybe the same could be said for Ketron as well but the Yamaha seems to be more attractive to play.

Whenever I've owned a Yamaha, I've always never thought it dominated in any one area, it's been balanced right through and I have always found a style or sound that's useable for all the music I play where as with my Korg or Ketron, it ranged from sounding exceptionally brilliant to really horrid or I struggle to find a sound or style that was suitable. I've never had this problem with the T3, every day I find something that's better than I found the day before about it. Amazing keyboard.

#293983 - 09/21/10 10:10 PM Re: Which company in YOUR opinoion (and why) has made the greatest LEAP forward?
Bachus Offline

I think Roland has made a step backwards in recent years..

Ketron has made progresiion with their audio styles.

Yamaha has made progression with their SA2 and other solo sounds

Korg has made progression with their User interface and overall functionallity and sound edditing.

But alltogether they have created the possibillity for companies like Lionstracs to gain a fair market share over the next few years.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#293984 - 09/21/10 10:14 PM Re: Which company in YOUR opinoion (and why) has made the greatest LEAP forward?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Haven't seen a Tyros 4, but Audya hands down has done the most lately of the ones mentioned.
About the only criticisms I hear are from fans of other companies who have never touched an Audya.
DonM

#293985 - 09/21/10 10:22 PM Re: Which company in YOUR opinoion (and why) has made the greatest LEAP forward?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I have already HEARD the Audya, at its' best... I don't need to TOUCH it to know what it sounds like. And I don't need to touch it to know that the loop issues are a part of using one. And I don't need to touch one if I have to make a 15 hour round trip just to find a dealer with one in his store!

No amount of playing it is going to make its' issues go away. I KNOW it sounds great, but that isn't the ONLY thing I need in an arranger.

And, bachus, I'm not sure if you've noticed, but Roland hasn't made ANY steps with TOTL arrangers in the last few years! The G70 and E80 were definitely better than previous Roland's (with the exception of the Chord Sequencer, and that was dropped LONG before the G70 came out), so I'm not sure where you come up with a step BACKWARDS...

You've got to be IN the race to LOSE the race...!

#293986 - 09/22/10 12:32 AM Re: Which company in YOUR opinoion (and why) has made the greatest LEAP forward?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I would say Yamaha, due to the fact of their SA voices which help normal players to get great results.

Bill

#293987 - 09/22/10 01:57 AM Re: Which company in YOUR opinoion (and why) has made the greatest LEAP forward?
to the genesys Offline

I would have to give this one to Ketron.
The implementation of audio loops for more than one track in a style IMO is a major step forward from the SD1 product.
Also, the ability to have audio guitar and other chord instruments follow your cords in real time is very forward looking from the SD product.
Yamaha with their T1 to the T2 gets the second prize for the implementation of SA voices.
Although it is something good, SA is just a sophisticated way of velocity switching and legato programming. It is an extension of sound manipulation that has been around for decades.

Roland and Korg have not done anything revolutionary from one TOTL arranger to the other with in the past 8 years.

------------------
I have shortened my ID to TTG

#293988 - 09/22/10 05:02 AM Re: Which company in YOUR opinoion (and why) has made the greatest LEAP forward?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
From a "Value" proposition, I would say that the Korg Pa2xpro is a leap forward in arranger technology. Across the board, look at the features and compare to every other keyboard. The Korg comes standards with

Color motorized touch sensitive screen.
TC Helicon Voice Processor
DNC / RX Voices
Korg M3 Synth engine and probably the best synth out of the whole group.
Included Hard Disk
the Best Songbook function
Usable Multi-Function Sliders
USB Thumbdrive jack just where it SHOULD BE!!
Balanced Inputs
Guitar Mode
4 Effects Processors with a choice of 125 effects
Double MP3 Player / Recorder
Most Configurable Operating System

All of the above at the LOWEST price point of all the keyboards mentioned!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#293989 - 09/22/10 05:04 AM Re: Which company in YOUR opinoion (and why) has made the greatest LEAP forward?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
From a "Value" proposition, I would say that the Korg Pa2xpro is a leap forward in arranger technology. Across the board, look at the features and compare to every other keyboard. The Korg comes standard with:

Color motorized touch sensitive screen.
TC Helicon Voice Processor
DNC / RX Voices
Korg M3 Synth engine and probably the best synth out of the whole group.
Included Hard Disk
the Best Songbook function
Usable Multi-Function Sliders
USB Thumbdrive jack just where it SHOULD BE!!
Balanced Inputs
Guitar Mode
4 Effects Processors with a choice of 125 effects
Double MP3 Player / Recorder
Most Configurable Operating System

All of the above at the LOWEST price point of all the keyboards mentioned (except the G1000/G70)!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#293990 - 09/22/10 01:43 PM Re: Which company in YOUR opinoion (and why) has made the greatest LEAP forward?
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Haven't seen a Tyros 4, but Audya hands down has done the most lately of the ones mentioned.
About the only criticisms I hear are from fans of other companies who have never touched an Audya.
DonM

I think its the opposite, Audio loops are nothing new, uses 1993 technology and its
user interface and controlls completely suck. I want someone to REALLY tell me whats new on the Audya.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online