SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#293495 - 09/17/10 03:02 PM Re: TYROS 4 DOESN'T DISSAPOINT !! WOW !...WOW.!.. WOWEEEEEE !!!! WOW! !!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
But those who purchased an XK3c won't be sitting around lusting after the 'next great thing' and will probably never even think about upgrading.

Well, I won't need to be upgrading once, or better, if, I get a Tyros4...I plan on keeping it for a very long time...probably be my last arranger.

The T4 has a terrific Hammond sound, and of course, the XK3c has no styles I can play with and edit and make my own.

As an aside, and concerning the Tyros3 to Tyros4; Yamaha did this back in the mid-90's with the PSR-7000 and two years later, the PSR-8000 came out...nearly identical cabinets, but the 8K was so much more under the hood...a whole huge level above.

I bought an 8000 and kept it quite awhile, but finally, the two variation styles, and the limited editing made me want something else..

The Tyros3 tempted me, but I kept an S910 for my own use, and waited for the next Tyros, and I am very glad I did.

The scat voices, the vocal sounds, the terrific new SA pianos...Chas, it is a significant upgrade for those who like Yamaha's sound, and I do.

There's nothing stopping me from buying a second hand B-3 for my home later on...my place is quite big and my living room/studio has lots of space for jams.

For the last while, I've been playing a vintage B-3 ('57-'58 I think) in a jam band, and that's what tempted me towards the XK3c.

So, that's why I believe the Tyros4 will be "the one"...of course, I have to play it for awhile before I make that final decision...it's not set in stone yet.

If I don't get it, I'll keep the S910, and get an XK3c Pro system....at least that's the plan...for now.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-17-2010).]

#293496 - 09/17/10 03:03 PM Re: TYROS 4 DOESN'T DISSAPOINT !! WOW !...WOW.!.. WOWEEEEEE !!!! WOW! !!
DannyUK Offline

Damn! My posts sounded negative! I don't want to appear so, I really do like the T4 and if I hadn't of bought the T3 yet I most definately would have got the T4. If I was offered a good deal on my T3 I would consider changing simply for that Chillout stuff, I adore Cafe Del Mar and the T4 does it the closest I've heard (even though the T3 was pretty good anyway!)

#293497 - 09/17/10 03:05 PM Re: TYROS 4 DOESN'T DISSAPOINT !! WOW !...WOW.!.. WOWEEEEEE !!!! WOW! !!
DannyUK Offline

I totally agree Ian, I almost bought the PSR7000 until I tried it and it sounded so much like my PSR620 I passed, then when I heard the PSR8000 it was like a world apart, totally blew it away and anything else around it, I think this was where Yamaha got really serious in my view.

#293498 - 09/17/10 03:07 PM Re: TYROS 4 DOESN'T DISSAPOINT !! WOW !...WOW.!.. WOWEEEEEE !!!! WOW! !!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Morten Jonassen:
They should have changed the name from Tyros to Yamaha Scat Doo Bloddy Bah! Why on earth have they chosen to highlight these awful sounds in most of the styles? Horrible!
As expected, nothing ground breaking has happened.

Morten I felt the same way after 50 demos...too much vocal chorus sounds..although you can always mute those parts if you need to I guess...but it wouod be interesting to hear what went on in the R&D room when T4 was designed regarding these Voice driven styles etc, etc, ....If I'm being honest for me ....the new VH2 vocalizer still yet to be determined, and the XLR Mic input are a few of the new features that I'm interested in the new S series unit...if they aren't included with new styles also I'll pass myself and wait for whoever else want to join in the arranger Wars & go demo other manufacturers units....

#293499 - 09/18/10 05:57 AM Re: TYROS 4 DOESN'T DISSAPOINT !! WOW !...WOW.!.. WOWEEEEEE !!!! WOW! !!
Dnj Offline

One other thing is that Tyros 4 has no on-board speakers and that alone is a big turnoff for me for gigging...although I have owned many non speaker units, the convenience and monitor capabilities is wonderful....IMO.
Ahhhhh whats the use?....nothing will ever be perfect!!

PS another thing I dont like is the Multipad buttons on the LEFT side?

#293500 - 09/18/10 01:18 PM Re: TYROS 4 DOESN'T DISSAPOINT !! WOW !...WOW.!.. WOWEEEEEE !!!! WOW! !!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
These are very, very nice Diki...what are the styles like?

Ian

Kurzweil's market research has proved conclusively that there is no need for an arranger whatsoever. Who could possibly argue with THAT?

Lee, I have the full CD-ROM for my K2500S(KDFX). You'll find a LOT more samples and programming on that than the ones included in the ROM of newer K's...

#293501 - 09/18/10 04:08 PM Re: TYROS 4 DOESN'T DISSAPOINT !! WOW !...WOW.!.. WOWEEEEEE !!!! WOW! !!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Kurzweil's market research has proved conclusively that there is no need for an arranger whatsoever. Who could possibly argue with THAT?

Yep, and seems like Roland's marketing research is coming up with the same results...hence, bye bye G-series, E-series and perhaps the entry level GW-8/Prelude...do we hear much weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth? Nope.

I think Cassp had/has a Kurzweil arranger...one of the piano-based models they made back in the 90's, before, as you say, Kurzweil's market research proved conclusively that there was no need for an arranger whatsoever.

Who could possibly argue with THAT?

Ian

#293502 - 09/18/10 05:19 PM Re: TYROS 4 DOESN'T DISSAPOINT !! WOW !...WOW.!.. WOWEEEEEE !!!! WOW! !!
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Diki..are you speaking of the set from Sweetwater or something else?
I have all the CD's from sweetwater incuding Take 6. Some awefully good stuff. Actually when I go there (20 minutes from my house)I often get to see/talk to Daniel Fisher who did a lot of wotk for Kurzweil sounds for Sweetwater. He's really interesting to talk to. Very talented. You should see their studio... TOP DOG! He also did some work on the PC3 for Kurzweil...if I have my info correct.

If Kurz would ever do a TOTL arranger...it would be something! But...don't think they will. The new PC3K is superb..it is the PC3 WITH full program and sample compatability to the older K's...if they announce a rack version, I will sell my K2600X and get one.

Lee S.

#293503 - 09/18/10 05:38 PM Re: TYROS 4 DOESN'T DISSAPOINT !! WOW !...WOW.!.. WOWEEEEEE !!!! WOW! !!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
If Kurz would ever do a TOTL arranger...it would be something! But...don't think they will.
Lee S.

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Not a chance Lee (see above)...Mr. Diki, the spokesman for Kurzweil, has uttered.

Who could possibly argue with THAT?

Ian

#293504 - 09/19/10 12:52 AM Re: TYROS 4 DOESN'T DISSAPOINT !! WOW !...WOW.!.. WOWEEEEEE !!!! WOW! !!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
One wonders if there is ANYTHING I can post that won't elicit a snide remark about Roland from Ian, despite having absolutely nothing to do with it. I could probably talk about football, and Ian would say that it has gotten better since Roland left the upper end of the arranger market...

But, it's still hilarious to see him censor me for being the Kurzweil spokesman, while doing exactly the same for Yamaha himself. Those four fingers are pointing back, Ian

Lee, I am jealous beyond belief that you know Daniel Fisher... his programming for the Kurzweil's sets the bar for ANY modern keyboard. Yes, I was talking about the CD-ROM from Sweetwater. I had mistakenly assumed you were talking about the Take 6 samples that are now in the ROM sounds of some of Kurzweil's product...

I also have most of the Sweetwater CD's, but I still find my go-to CD is usually the Sounds of the 70's CD-ROM. Some of those vintage keyboards sit in most mixes without a single thing being done to them!

Please congratulate him from me the next time you meet. And they can have my K2500 when they pry it from my cold, dead hands!

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online