SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#293332 - 10/04/10 11:31 AM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
elwoodblues1969 Offline

Squeak,

You are completely overlooking my point,which is,that if Casio is going to charge $1400..then they should offer professional features all around,which the 7500 does not deliver.
PERFECT EXAMPLE....the Korg M50 73 note keyboard is going for $1400 as well and check out the specs;

Synthesis Technology: EDS (Enhanced Definition Synthesis)

Tone Generator:
- 256 Mbyte (when converted to 16-bit linear format)
- 1,077 Multisamples
- 1,609 Drum Samples

Maximum Polyphony:
- 80 voices, 80 oscillators max, single mode
- 40 voices, 80 oscillators max, double mode*

* The actual maximum polyphony will vary depending on oscillator settings such as stereo multisamples and velocity crossfading.

Sounds
Programs: 640 total locations, 608 preloaded

Combinations: 512 total locations, 384 preloaded

Drumkits: 48 total locations, 32 preloaded

GM: 256 GM2 programs, 9 GM2 drum kits

Program Structure EDS
Oscillator:
- OSC1 (Single), OSC1+2 (Double)
- Stereo multisamples are supported
- 4 velocity zones per oscillator, with switching, crossfades and layers.

Filters:
- Four types of filter routing (single, serial, parallel, 24 dB)
- Two multi-mode filters per voice (low pass, high pass, band pass, band reject)

Driver: Per-voice nonlinear driver and low boost

EQ: Three bands, with sweepable mid

Modulation:
- For each voice: two envelope generators (Filter & Amp)
- Two LFOs
- Two key tracking generators (Filter & Amp)
- Two AMS mixers
- Pitch EG
- Common LFO
- Two common key tracking generators

Combination Structure:
- Up to sixteen timbres
- For each Timbre: keyboard and velocity split/layer/crossfade
- INT, OFF, EXT and EX2 MIDI status settings
- 3-band EQ with sweepable mid
- Pitch/Transpose
- Use OSC1, 2 or Both
- Force Osc Mode (PRG, MONO, LEGATO, POLY)
- Portamento and Bend range settings
- Controller filters
- Modifications to the program settings via the Tone Adjust function

Drum Kit Structure:
- Stereo and mono drum samples
- 4-way velocity switches with crossfades and adjustable crossfade shapes (Linear, Power, Layer)
- Exclusive keygroups
- Per key 3-band EQ, Drive, Lo Boost, filter and level offsets

Effects:
- 5 Insert Effects (stereo in/out), 2 Master Effects (stereo in/out), 1 Total Effect (stereo in/out) are available simultaneously
- 2 effect control busses, 2 effect common LFOs
- 170 types (can be used for Insert/Master/Total.) Note: double-size effects cannot be used as a Total effect.
- Effects Presets: Up to 32 per Effect, 700 provided in OS 1.10
- 3-band Track EQ (High, low, and sweepable mid band) Per Program in Program Mode, per Timbre in Combination mode (16 total), and per Track in Sequencer mode (16 total)

Sequencer:
- 16-track MIDI sequencer with 480 ppq resolution
- 128 Songs, 20 Cue Lists, 210,000 notes (max)
- Tempo: 40.00 - 300.00 BPM (1/100 resolution)
- 16 preset/16 user Template Songs
- 522 preset patterns, 100 user patterns (per Song)
- Cue List function: 20 cue lists, Songs can be arranged consecutively or repeatedly in up to 99 steps, A cue list can be converted back into a song
- Standard MIDI File (SMF) format 0 and 1 available
- Auto Song Setup function (One Touch Record) for easily going from a Program or Combination into "record-ready" status

Dual Polyphonic Arpeggiator:
Two arpeggiators, useable simultaneously (Combination, Sequencer modes)

5 preset arpeggio patterns; 216 user arpeggio patterns (200 preloaded)

RPPR (Realtime Pattern Play/Recording): A set of 100 patterns are available per Song

Drum Track:
671 preset patterns/1,000 user patterns

Patterns created in Sequencer mode can be converted to drum track user patterns

Trigger Mode (Immediate, Wait for Keyboard), Sync (On, Off) and Zone (Key and Velocity) settings can be specified.

Program selection, 3-band EQ and effect bussing available

Audio Outputs:
L/MONO, R - 1/4 in. TS (Mono), unbalanced

Headphones - 1/4 in. TRS (Stereo), Output Impedance: 33 Ohms, Maximum Level: 32+ 32 mW @33 Ohms

Interface:
MIDI IN, OUT

Computer USB type B connector (for MIDI interface, USB 2.0 supported)

System Requirements
Computer with the KORG USB-MIDI Driver

Windows Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition/Professional Service Pack 2 or later (MIDI Driver for the 64-bit editions is a Beta version), all editions of Microsoft Windows Vista (MIDI Driver for the 64-bit editions is a Beta version), computer supports Windows XP/Vista with USB port (Intel USB Host Controller recommended).

Macintosh Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later, Apple Macintosh with USB ports supports Mac OS X 10.3.9 (PowerPC/Intel-based supported).

Please use the latest Korg USB/MIDI driver.

General
Keyboard: 61-key, 73-key versions use a new semi-weighted Natural Touch keyboard

88-key weighted action (RH3: Real Weighted Hammer Action 3 keyboard with 4-zone graded action response)

Controllers: Joystick, [SW1], [SW2]

Display: 5.7 inch TouchView(TM) GUI, 320 x 240 dot

Control Inputs: Damper Pedal (half damper pedaling supported), Assignable Switch, Assignable Pedal

Common specifications: Frequency response: 20 Hz-20 kHz, +/-1.0 dB, 10 k Ohms load

THD+N: 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08 % 10 k Ohms load (typical)

Included Accessories:
- Three-Pronged IECC13 Power Cable (Model D8B5518003B)
- Owner's Manual (M50 Operation Guide)
- CD-ROM (M50 Parameter Guide (PDF)
- Voice Name List (PDF)
- KORG MIDI driver
- M50 Editor stand alone and plug-in versions

The WK-7500 does NOT have a resonance filter in it's tone editor,it does NOT have a 3 band EQ per track,it does NOT have 80 note polyphony,it does NOT have a 4 X 5 inch touchscreen display,it does NOT have a 210,000 note capacity in the sequencer,it does NOT have 5 insert effects and 3 master effects,it does NOT have semi-weighted keys and the WK-7500 does NOT have the ability to be used as a midi controller for neither a computer,nor to control other keyboards.

See what I mean?In many ways,the WK-7500 is half the keyboard that the Korg M50 73 is,so the Casio should be half the price of the Korg.

If you shop around enough on the internet,you could find a Korg M3 61 key for about $1500 and it's everything that the M50 series is,but with the M3 series,you get audio recording,a ribbon controller,a full color 4 X 5 inch touchscreen display,the option to add on a Radias synthesizer board and with the expansion set(which is a USB stick with an additional 1GB worth of sounds that's included).

Try to understand that the WK-7500 will be nothing but a toy in the $1400 range,in contrast to most everything else out there,for the same money.

Bear in mind also,that I've been a keyboard player for 25 years,so I've owned a few different Casios over the years and just about every Korg workstation that was released in the last 20 years,so I'm intimately familiar with pro boards and I know exactly what $1400 will buy...so with my experience,I am flat out telling you as a fact,that Casio charging $1400 for the WK-7500,is pure extortion.

It's all very simple dude..think about it...if a pro company like Korg can deliver a pro quality keyboard for $1,000 and up,then Casio can certainly deliver a semi-pro keyboard for under a grand-very easily...especially since Casio is a huge company like Korg.

All this being said,the fact that both the MZ-2000 and the WK-7500 are Casio's best,does not justify their over-inflated price tags,because when all is said and done,Casio's products are just toys,compared to the pro boards you can buy for the same price.

If for some reason,the WK-7500 ends up being well under a thousand,then I think it would be a great keyboard to have.

Since the release date of the WK-7500 is actually spring of next year,then there's a good chance that this keyboard is only a prototype at this point.

That being said,if Casio resonates any common sense from now till then,then they will increase the polyphony and the amount of insert effects.
So if they make improvements before it's release that are comparable to the competition in this price range,then I would be happy to pay $1400 for a Casio...but otherwise,forget it.

Didn't you ever wonder why the MZ-2000 disappeared so quickly and why the WK-3800 is still in production??

Price proportionate-wise,the WK3800 offers a lot for it's $400 price tag,whereas the MZ-2000 was more than 3 times the price,but did not measure up to the pro competition and if the WK-7500 is going to be $1400 as is,then the this keyboard is going to crash and burn,just like the MZ-2000 did.

-Elwood

------------------

[This message has been edited by elwoodblues1969 (edited 10-04-2010).]

#293333 - 10/04/10 11:56 AM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
Bachus Offline

So it has been presented and demoed at Okey Tastenpoint last weekend, now we need to know what does it sound like?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#293334 - 10/04/10 11:56 AM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
You're misssing a point here Elwood. You're comparing the WK-7500 to a PROFESSIONAL workstation based on price and features.

First thing.., the 7500 "is not" a pro model. It's a "semi-pro" model.

Second thing.., WELCOME TO THE UNFORTUNATE AND VERY UNBALANCED WORLD OF ARRANGER KEYBOARD PRICES. Do you for any second think that it's ONLY Casio that would produce an arranger keyboard whos features DO NOT match that of a pro synth..., yet it sells for a price that makes it look like a rip off compared to a synth/workstation?

Take your own example.., you mentioned the Korg M3 (which is a VERY nice workstation) by the way. Have a look at another keyboard (the PSR-S910) that sells for damn near the price of the Korg M3. The S910 is no where near the quality of the M3.., yet look how close the price is. That's just the world of arranger keyboard pricing Elwood. It ain't changing anytime soon.

This is how it has been for YEARS. Plus there has NOT been any confirmed prices for the United States yet. I wouldn't start bitching about a US conversion you got from a UK website before the official prices have even been released yet.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#293335 - 10/04/10 12:07 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A 76 will not make you a BETTER player... if you have a 61.

But a 61 will make you a worse player if you are used to a 76 At least for piano and Rhodes parts!

I mean, how many 61 players, having got used to that, would happily shave an octave off it and play a 49? Damn few, I'd be willing to bet...

I can only wait for the howl that is going to occur when Yamaha decide, from extensive market research that the vast majority of home users, being talentless hacks, rarely use more than 49 notes, and promptly reduce the size of all their arrangers to cater to the lowest common denominator... Oh, and be prepared to be castigated by those that HAVE happily got used to a 49 note arranger, too..

BTW, if you can't recognize sarcasm when you see it, get all outraged over that last paragraph, will you...

#293336 - 10/04/10 12:14 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
elwoodblues1969 Offline

Squeak,

Give Casio a chance...give them a break?? What do you think I've been doing for the last few weeks?...with all of my countless hours and days doing online research,writing & phoning customer support(all of which-by the way,was virtually pointless),because it seems evident that the Tokyo branch of Casio is not releasing any pertinent information to the people of Casio USA.

If anyone has gone through all of the headaches & frustration that I've experienced with Casio support,then they would not want to give Casio a chance either.

All of Casio's speculative horse-sh*t and misdirection has stressed me out & made me raving mad.

Do you honestly think that the WK-7500's sound quality is going to be better or as good than everything else in the $1400 range??

If so,then great...excellent...fantastic,as I will be the first person in this country to own one,if Casio makes a keyboard THAT good!

Understand that if Casio was willing to reveal in their specifications,as to how much WAV ROM was used for the WK-7500 sound set,then that would give me a good indication of well the sounds were produced.

A decent amount of WAV ROM...in the sum of at least 256MB would tell me what I need to know,to surmise the level of sound quality that the WK-7500 has to offer.

Casio does NOT provide this critical information,which is standard information on any pro board website & product page.

So until Casio either reveals this info,or comes up with a sound demo,I will be very skeptical of the WK-7500's quality,but right now,I am really disgusted with Casio's lack of information & I am not prepared to wait another 7 months for this damn keyboard to be released.
In the interim,I am looking to buy another pro board,one of which that has some features/sounds that my Korg M3 does not have.

Perhaps one day,when & if Casio gets their act together,I just may buy a Casio again,but thus far,things are not shaping up well at all,for what I want to add to my studio.

-Elwood

------------------

#293337 - 10/04/10 12:22 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

But a 61 will make you a worse player if you are used to a 76 At least for piano and Rhodes parts!

I mean, how many 61 players, having got used to that, would happily shave an octave off it and play a 49? Damn few, I'd be willing to bet...

I can only wait for the howl that is going to occur when Yamaha decide, from extensive market research that the vast majority of home users, being talentless hacks, rarely use more than 49 notes, and promptly reduce the size of all their arrangers to cater to the lowest common denominator... Oh, and be prepared to be castigated by those that HAVE happily got used to a 49 note arranger, too..

BTW, if you can't recognize sarcasm when you see it, get all outraged over that last paragraph, will you...

Hmmmmmmm?....meanwhile Yamaha continues to be the TOP DOG an sell worldwide so many units it aint funny....I would say their market research is way above the rest...61/76/88 Yamaha has it going on BIG TIME!! The Numbers, Great Sound & Happy Repeat customers don't lie. Synths, Arrangers, Pianos, Home Units, they have all the bases covered.

#293338 - 10/04/10 12:52 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
elwoodblues1969 Offline

Squeak,

To the contrary,I am NOT labeling the WK-7500 as a PRO board,as I know it's a f*cking semi-pro board...CASIO IS NOT A PROFESSIONAL COMPANY,PERIOD.
However though,if it turns out that the WK-7500 does end up going for $1400,then that is A PRO LEVEL PRICE...can we at least agree on that??

Call the WK-7500 an arranger if you must,but you can't make price comparisons to a Yamaha keyboard that is "marketed" as an arranger,versus a Korg workstation.

The Yamaha PSR series are designed differently that the Korg M50 series and for whatever reason,arrangers are priced higher, and for whatever reason,Casio has not "marketed" or labeled the WK-7500 as an arranger and it should not be priced as such.

I don't know...maybe some of you will be happy to pay $1400 for the WK-7500(even if it does not sound better than the WK-3800),simply because it's perceived as being an arranger board and also due to the fierce loyalty that some have towards Casio.

Just as some of you feel that the WK-7500 is an arranger in your minds,then the WK-7500(in my mind)should have some more pro-type features in the WK-7500,due to it's pro level price tag(if in fact,$1400 is the real price).

I think that all of my bitching and moaning is justified and does in fact,have a point to it all,because Casio cannot give me a f*cking straight answer on anything!

I cannot trust anything that anyone says at Casio and if their 2011 spring release date is true,then Casio has no business making an announcement 8 months before fact,especially when these douche bags are telling everyone that the release date is a f*cking week from now!!

-Elwood

------------------

#293339 - 10/04/10 01:03 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
$1,400 is not a PRO level price. $1,400 is in the SEMI PRO RANGE.

Korg M3, Roland Fantom G Series, Yamaha Motif Series, Kurzweil's PC3 line (above the PC3LE) are PRO keyboards in the PRO price range.

Korg's upper PA series, and the Tyros are PRO arranger keyboards in the PRO price range.

If you want to see a semi pro arranger (on the upper end of the semi range line) hitting the area of PRO synths in price you need to look at the Korg PA-800. The S910 is getting close as it comes in just under the cost of a Korg M3.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 10-04-2010).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#293340 - 10/04/10 02:07 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
124 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

And right you are, sir. I went from a 61-note Korg i30 to a 76-note Pa1XPro a couple of years ago. I like the extra range for those dizzying blues runs among other little things like chord extensions and such. To be honest,pre-76, I felt cramped, for want of a better word.

#293341 - 10/04/10 02:25 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
elwoodblues1969 Offline

Squeak,

$1400 is in the budget range of the PRO arena of keyboards.
Every pro keyboard company has their budget range of pro keyboards,but it does not necessarily mean that they're semi-pro.

Yes,Yamaha has the widest range of keyboards...everything from the highest grade of pro,all the way down to consumer grade.
However though,a keyboard like the Yamaha M06,is derived from Yamaha's old flagship ES series,so it is considered a pro board,but in the budget range.

Consider this also,the Korg M1 only had 4MB of sounds,an 8 track sequencer,1 insert effect and only 16 voices of polyphony,but it used to be Korg's flagship workstation,so technically it was, & still is,a pro board.

Classifications in workstations these days,are a bit subjective...like for example,the Korg MicroStation is well under a $1,000 and it has some pro level features in terms of recording,but a lot of the sounds are terrible and are what I consider to be consumer grade.
Korg has begun to scale down their workstations so much,that I don't know what to call the MiscroStation exactly...maybe a budget level semi-pro board?

All I know about Korg definitively,is that Korg has never made consumer grade keyboards and that you'll never find a Korg keyboard in a Wal-Mart.

Oddly enough though,some Best Buy stores have a pro instrument department in them...very strange.

Casio-in the last ten years,has begun to blur the line a bit, between consumer-grade, semi-pro and pro,but if Casio ends up improving the WK-7500 beyond the MZ-2000 in terms of sounds & the amount insert effects,then I would consider the WK-7500 a professional budget keyboard and it would be worthy of a $1400 price tag.

20 years ago,yes...I would agree with you that $1400 is not a pro level price range,but currently,it is.

-Elwood

------------------

Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online