SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14 >
Topic Options
#293280 - 09/18/10 01:19 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
elwoodblues1969 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jamman:
The reasons that it can't beat psr s710 (for arranger players).

Turn offs
------------

Modulation button (no wheel)
2 variations (even psr 550 has 4)
250 styles only

The Casio WK-7500 is not an arranger keyboard and is not marketed as such.

The reasons that the Casio WK-7500 can beat the PSR S710;

the WK-7500 is a workstation,which means that it has a midi sequencer(pattern mode,quantize,event edit)

Value priced,as Casio did not dump the bulk of the expenses on the screen.

Try and record 16 tracks of audio without any midi sequencing & quantizing on the PSR,without it sounding like a train wreck.....as if you can pull that off,I would be very impressed to no end.

-Elwood

------------------
Korg M3,Reason 4,Presonus Studio One,Adam A7's,M-Audio CX5's & BX8a's,Zoom R24

[This message has been edited by elwoodblues1969 (edited 09-18-2010).]

#293281 - 09/18/10 01:45 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
elwoodblues1969 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by gilbert:
For anyone Interested the Advertised Price which is always somewhat higher than the Buying Price, Is
Us Dollar 579
Euro 444
UK Pound 371.
Jap Yen 39800

Miss this...? No, I don't think that a Casio, even with a few unique features, is going to make it to the $1000 point with only two variations, and as stripped down a feature list as it has.

But my point was solely about the price difference between arrangers and WS's. Comparative value between different arrangers is FAR more about perception and marketing than actual value. Does a Rolex keep noticeably better time than a Timex? Not enough to justify a $5000 difference, IMO!

If Casio want to move into the high end, or even MOTL, they are going to have to do a LOT more than most to overcome their 'toy' status, despite the odd (and generally ancient) success they had. This isn't going to do it, that's for sure!

Actually no,I did not miss that earlier posting,as I just meant that in general...as in the general public,who else would think of the WK-7500 as a $1,000 item? :~}

[B]Well...I am of the opinion,that if the WK-7500 ends up going for say,around $700 and if Casio puts most of their focus on sheer sound quality,than I would not really consider the WK-7500 as a toy.

We'll just have to sit on our hands & see what happens in the next month or so.

-Elwood

------------------

#293282 - 09/18/10 02:03 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, but my G70 has a full 16 track sequencer. Doesn't stop it from being an arranger, though (despite what the marketing weenies put on the front panel ).

Jeez, guys, can't we agree on a simple definition of an arranger? If it has auto accompaniment, pre-defined fills and variations (and the live triggering of those in sync), preset full accompaniment styles (where all the parts are related), IT'S AN ARRANGER.

Adding a few WS features to it no more makes it a WS than adding incomplete, stripped down chord following to a WS makes it an arranger.

Sure, the lines are getting a LITTLE bit blurred, but at least MY eyesight isn't THAT poor...

And, if you REALLY thought the WK was not an arranger, and was in actual fact a WS, you would be posting about it on some WS forum like the MoXS boys do - at least THEY have the common sense to know what it is... Only arranger players have a big enough chip on their shoulders as to suggest that having ANY WS-like features AT ALL makes an arranger a WS!

Me, I'm PROUD that my G70 is an 'arranger'. I'm not looking for the flimsiest excuses to call it a WS, as if being an arranger were something to be ashamed of...

#293283 - 09/18/10 03:42 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
elwoodblues1969 Offline

Well...if were going to split hairs here,then I suppose I could classify my Korg M3 as an arranger,since on certain programs and especially in the combi-mode,all I have to do is hit a single note and set off a pre-programed sequence.
M3 also has the Karma arpeggio function,so it really wouldn't require much on my part to create nearly an entire song using automation.

Yes the higher end arrangers have midi sequencing,but the dividing line between the workstation and the arranger,is that the arranger keyboards have an overabundance of auto-accompaniments and are just too damn expensive.

I personally don't care for arranger keyboards,because I prefer to write completely original music,by programming my own drum,bass,guitar, & synth tracks by hand,as I have been doing for the last 22 years.

If a musician is willing to be original & creative enough to build his/her own accompaniments by hand,then a workstation can do the same job as an arranger and for a lot less money.

-Elwood

------------------

#293285 - 09/18/10 04:55 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
elwoodblues1969 Offline

Lucky2Bhere,

Which phone number(s) did you call?I called the tech line(800-435-7732) after I had e-mailed support twice and they had no info.

When I finally received a response from e-mail support,I was told to call the very same number...very irritating people to deal with there.
I was however,told to call another number when I had spoke with someone on the phone,which was (800-706-2534)...which is repair,which does not make much sense.

In addition to the repair number,I am also going to try the direct sales number on Monday.

I am determined to get a firm date on the release of the WK-7500-as well as confirmation on the price and I am going to continue to keep pestering the people at Casio until they cough up the info I want.

Whenever pro keyboards are announced,they always provide a release date & pricing info...but for some reason,there's no communication between Japan & America,as Casio USA, is a Godd**n joke.

Perhaps I should purchase the Rosetta Stone software to learn Japanese,so that I could speak to someone in Tokyo(probably the only means of finding out any useful info).

-Elwood

------------------

#293286 - 09/18/10 05:22 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Low end instrument.
Lee S.

#293287 - 09/18/10 05:35 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by elwoodblues1969:
[b]The Casio WK-7500 is not an arranger keyboard and is not marketed as such.

The reasons that the Casio WK-7500 can beat the PSR S710;

the WK-7500 is a workstation,which means that it has a midi sequencer(pattern mode,quantize,event edit)

Value priced,as Casio did not dump the bulk of the expenses on the screen.

Try and record 16 tracks of audio without any midi sequencing & quantizing on the PSR,without it sounding like a train wreck.....as if you can pull that off,I would be very impressed to no end.

-Elwood

[/B]

I don’t believe the WK 7500 can record 16 tracks of audio.
Now instead of arguing if the WK-7500 is a workstation or arranger, we should look at who is the potential market of this keyboard.

Casio is hoping that this offering could appeal to those who would buy a Yamaha S710. Some one who would want something quick and easy and primarily want to play at home but gives them the possibility of taking it on a gig with out no hassle.
I don’t think we can classify it as being an entry level but it is more a way for Casio to get recognized in the pro market. If semi pro players start using the WK 7500 on gigs, then that would give Casio the incentive to create a keyboard with more features that could compete with a PSR S910.
JMO

------------------
I have shortened my ID to TTG

#293288 - 09/18/10 08:21 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
elwoodblues1969 Offline

[/B][/QUOTE]

I don’t believe the WK 7500 can record 16 tracks of audio.
Now instead of arguing if the WK-7500 is a workstation or arranger, we should look at who is the potential market of this keyboard.

Casio is hoping that this offering could appeal to those who would buy a Yamaha S710. Some one who would want something quick and easy and primarily want to play at home but gives them the possibility of taking it on a gig with out no hassle.
I don’t think we can classify it as being an entry level but it is more a way for Casio to get recognized in the pro market. If semi pro players start using the WK 7500 on gigs, then that would give Casio the incentive to create a keyboard with more features that could compete with a PSR S910.
JMO

I never said the WK-7500 had 16 tracks of audio,I was just pointing out the advantage of recording multiple tracks using midi sequencing,as supposed to recording multiple tracks of audio.
I mean,it's a mute point,for people to start a debate to make comparisons to a budget workstation with midi sequencing,versus a mid-grade arranger that only has audio recording.

The only reason this debate even surfaced,is because Ahmed posted the Casio WK-7500 topic in the wrong category to begin with.

I don't think Casio is looking for recognition from the pro market necessarily-but rather,they simply want to appeal more to the hobbyist and budget musician,who want to get more serious about their recording & desire some pro-type recording functionality.

I think it's safe to say also,that computer recording is so immensely popular amongst people with moderate incomes,that software programs & value priced midi controllers are detrimental to the sales of Casio keyboards.

That being said,I think the WK-7500 will be enormously appealing to people of this particular demographic,as not only will the simplicity & flexibility of the WK-7500 be a big draw,but also to people who want a break away from their computers for a while and just enjoy the ease of simply flipping the power switch on their Casios and immediately begin creating more intricate songs,that were not possible on previous Casio models.

If Casio did indeed,want to set foot into the pro realm and make a new name for themselves,then they must know that they would have to make a huge investment,by creating a workstation with at least as much functionality & WAV ROM as the Korg M50.

Casio has been making keyboards for as long as I can remember,which spans at least 30 years,so if they were going to "test the waters" and go pro,they would have done so already.

It seems evident that Casio's level of recording capabilities has peeked with the MZ-2000 and with the WK-7500 being a step back from the MZ in certain aspects,that to me,sets the tone for what Casio has in store for the future.

Casio may add slight enhancements to their future keyboards,as advancing technology becomes cheaper and more widespread,but bottom line,is that Casio is a consumer grade company and has been so,since the 1950's.

-Elwood

------------------

#293289 - 09/18/10 10:33 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by elwoodblues1969:
Lucky2Bhere,

Which phone number(s) did you call?I called the tech line(800-435-7732) after I had e-mailed support twice and they had no info.

I've collected enough Casio phone #'s over the years to take up a GB of hard drive space. Yes, they are very difficult to get information from. Very polite, but DIFFICULT! I never seem to get a professional person to talk to. Usually end up getting my info from whatever operator answers the phone.

I think I used one of these but I can't be sure:

800-836-8580 (musical instruments) 800-706-2534 x 4 (customer service)
for Technical support in USA call 1-800 435-7732

#293290 - 09/18/10 11:27 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
to the genesys Offline

I think Casio made the WK 7500 for those who play styles and for those wo like to modify styles.

JMO

------------------
I have shortened my ID to TTG

Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online