SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14 >
Topic Options
#293270 - 09/18/10 08:34 AM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Elwood, I suggest you go look up the Casio MZ-2000. Casio can and HAS put out a semi-pro arranger in the $1,000 and up price range.

This new WK/CTK series (when looking at the WK-7500 and CTK-7000) would appear to be closer to what the MZ-2000 used to be. The current WK-3k series doesn't even come close.

These newer models (the upper units) have 16 track sequencers with event editing, ect. They have full style recorders for creating ORIGINAL styles and NOT the mix and match feature you find on the other Casio models. Casio has also brought back the 9 sliders! I would be very surprised if the Drawbar Organ feature on the WK/CTK was any less than the MZ-2000 (which had an amazing organ section by the way).

These new units have been COMPLETELY redesigned too. Don't forget that even though they may have dropped the TONE WITH WAV feature.., casio has added AUDIO recording to the two upper end units.

I'd be VERY surprised to see the 7500 hit the $500-$600 range. With the spec list (IMO) I see it getting closer to the $1,000 mark. Remember now.., the MZ-2000 was selling upwards of $1,300 as well.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#293271 - 09/18/10 08:39 AM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
elwoodblues1969 Offline

Fran,

My apologies,as it appears that you are not a crack-head from Mars.:~}
It seems evident that the folks at Casio,are the crack-heads.
If in fact,the MSRP is only $579,then you're right,the WK-7500 is nothing to get too excited over.
I can't fathom why the WK-7500 is so inexpensive,as I paid $399 for my WK-3800 and to this day,it s-t-i-l-l maintains it's price tag of $399....wtf?

I was hoping for some decent WAV ROM from Casio,as I have grown tired of spending big wads of green on pro boards.
I was originally looking at the Yamaha Motif XF,but since I have software,I can't justify spending $2399 on a 61 key....at least not currently.

Since Casio is unwilling to disclose the amount of megabytes worth of ROM,then my guess is that the amount of ROM is something ridiculous like 64MB and when this amount of waveform data is dispersed int0 800 sounds,then the tones on the WK-7500 are going to be really thin and the WK-7500 will be nothing more than a toy that you'll find at your local Wal-Mart.

I hope I'm wrong though...but the price is far too low,so something is terribly wrong here.

-Elwood

#293272 - 09/18/10 09:00 AM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
elwoodblues1969 Offline

Squeak D,

You might want to read through my posts again,as I did mention that I HAD looked up the MZ-2000 and I ASKED people here how much the MZ-2000 was going for,because I could NOT find the price of it anywhere.

Like I had said,I was not even aware of the MZ-2000's existence,until I visited this thread.

Why do you insist on believing that the WK-7500 is going to have a $1,000 price tag??

I mentioned this before and I'll reiterate it,the Korg M50 is $1,000 has 80 notes of polyphony,256MB of ROM,5 insert effects and a 4 X 5 inch touch screen,whereas the WK-7500 has none of these features.

It has been 10 years since the MZ-2000 was released and technological advances have taken place since then,which equates to upgrades in features for a lower cost.

Bear in mind also,that the WK-7500 is a downgrade from the MZ-2000 in some aspects,which negates the possibility of the WK-7500 having a $1,000 price tag.

-Elwood

[This message has been edited by elwoodblues1969 (edited 09-18-2010).]

#293273 - 09/18/10 09:17 AM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Elwood.., you'll soon realize that comparing the feature/spec list to PRICE between arrangers and workstations is a waste of time my friend ;-) That's just how it is.

Just have a look at the price difference between the current Yamaha Tyros 3 and the top end Motif XS-8. One is only 61 keys and made of plastic.., while the other is built like a tank with 88 graded hammer action keys. Yet look at the price difference between the two (while comparing the spec list)...
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#293274 - 09/18/10 10:12 AM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
elwoodblues1969 Offline

Squeak,

Why bring professional arrangers into this discussion?
Arrangers have always cost more than workstations,as the the amount of programming involved with all of the extra accompaniments & such,increases the production costs.

In the case of the Tyros 3,just take a look at the elaborate interface and the size of the screen,as that effects the pricing dramatically.

Think about your speculative price tag in terms of marketing in a logical way...most Casio users either don't have the wallet or the means to justify spending a grand on a high end consumer grade keyboard.

If Casio is actually dilusional enough to slap a $1,000 price tag on the WK-7500, then two things will happen....it won't sell,the price will be dramatically lowered and it will be discontinued after a couple of years.

In order for the WK-7500 to appeal to the average Casio user,the price must be well under a $1,000 and for the 7500 to appeal to the more serious musician,the 7500 would have to be imbued with all of the features of the old MZ-2000,along with all of the current features of the 7500.

Bottom line,is that the WK-7500 would have to closely compete with the Korg M50,which it does not.

As for Casio completely redesigning a keyboard,it does not account for much in terms of production costs,as Casio as a whole,is an enormous company that manufactures everything from watches to cameras.
That being said,Casio has plenty of capitol to invest in research and development,without being adversely affected by it,in the least.

Casio simply has not put a $1,000 worth of features into the WK-7500,as a 240 X 80 display screen,64 note polyphony,synth action keys,2 send effects and audio recording is pretty standard in a budget workstation.
Bear in mind also,that you have no idea,the amount of WAV ROM in the WK-7500,as Casio does not reveal such info.
The old Alesis QS8 sample based synth,only had 16MB of ROM-and yet,they managed to squeeze 600 sounds out of it,so the 800 tones of the WK-7500,may not necessarily amount to much,in terms of actual ROM content.
As mentioned here already in this thread,a lot of the functions of the WK-7500 are menu-driven,which means less physical controls,thereby less cost in terms of production.

-Elwood

#293275 - 09/18/10 11:30 AM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
elwoodblues1969 Offline

[This message has been edited by elwoodblues1969 (edited 09-20-2010).]

#293276 - 09/18/10 12:31 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Elwood... Justifying the price difference between arrangers and WS by citing the content as the reason might have been reasonable before loopstations and arps became commonplace, but, to be fair, a modern WS like the MoXf has what seems like JUST as much content in it as an arranger. THOUSANDS of intricately detailed loops, patterns and complete chord following multi-part arps has basically leveled the playing field in this area, not to mention the audio loops that often come with them...

The price difference is mostly due to 'economy of scale'. WS's outsell arrangers probably at LEAST 100:1, and it is cheaper to design and manufacture something if you make a LOT of them. Arrangers are rapidly becoming niche products (or toys), and it's hard to make a profit on something you only sell a handful of (comparatively).

JMO...

#293277 - 09/18/10 12:46 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
elwoodblues1969 Offline

Diki,

Ok then,you do bring up an interesting point...so am I to understand that you concur with Squeak on the $1,000 price tag of the WK-7500?

I'm just really curious as to how many people out there,would honestly think that the WK-7500 would go for a grand and if so....how many of you would choose the Casio over a Yamaha MO6,or a Korg M50??

-Elwood

#293278 - 09/18/10 12:54 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
The reasons that it can't beat psr s710 (for arranger players).

Turn offs
------------

Modulation button (no wheel)
2 variations (even psr 550 has 4)
250 styles only

#293279 - 09/18/10 01:03 PM Re: Casio releases new TOTL arranger.....wow
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by elwoodblues1969:
Diki,

Ok then,you do bring up an interesting point...so am I to understand that you concur with Squeak on the $1,000 price tag of the WK-7500?

I'm just really curious as to how many people out there,would honestly think that the WK-7500 would go for a grand and if so....how many of you would choose the Casio over a Yamaha MO6,or a Korg M50??

-Elwood

Quote:
Originally posted by gilbert:
For anyone Interested the Advertised Price which is always somewhat higher than the Buying Price, Is
Us Dollar 579
Euro 444
UK Pound 371.
Jap Yen 39800

Miss this...? No, I don't think that a Casio, even with a few unique features, is going to make it to the $1000 point with only two variations, and as stripped down a feature list as it has.

But my point was solely about the price difference between arrangers and WS's. Comparative value between different arrangers is FAR more about perception and marketing than actual value. Does a Rolex keep noticeably better time than a Timex? Not enough to justify a $5000 difference, IMO!

If Casio want to move into the high end, or even MOTL, they are going to have to do a LOT more than most to overcome their 'toy' status, despite the odd (and generally ancient) success they had. This isn't going to do it, that's for sure!

Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online