Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#293092 - 09/17/10 05:12 AM Re: Just felt like playing some blues
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
The price for a marginal improvement in solo sax sound is too high for me, Ian...

I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, Diki, but the improvement in the SA/SA2 sax over the sound in your G-70 is far more than just marginal.

I've played both instruments...no contest whatsoever.

You really haven't played a Tyros3 for any length of time, have you, because, since you profess to be such an expert in judging sound, I don't think you'd be saying it's "marginal" if you actually spent some time working with SA/SA2 and taking advantage of the phenomenal amount of expressiveness available to a skilled player.

Ian

#293093 - 09/17/10 05:24 AM Re: Just felt like playing some blues
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just explain how I can play piano parts on it, and I'll think about it, Ian...

Learn to take no for an answer!

I haven't gigged a 61 in twenty years or more, since the SQ2, I think. My primary stage keyboard has ALWAYS been a 76, since then. SQ2, K2500, G800, G1000, G70...

And my NEXT keyboard will be a 76, too (if I ever get one, still content that nothing is better all round than the G). Doesn't appear (for now) that Yamaha have their act together when it comes to GOOD 76 arrangers, so I guess I'll have to be content with my relic's sax sound STILL sounding better than SA2 in the hands of 99% of the players that use it!

#293094 - 09/17/10 05:43 AM Re: Just felt like playing some blues
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Just explain how I can play piano parts on it, and I'll think about it, Ian...

If you really want to play piano, get a piano...semi-weighted keys aren't for the piano player...they are a compromise.

Get yourself a real digital 88 note piano and stop losing those piano chops.

The weight shouldn't bother you...you are already dragging around a pig already...what's another 30 lbs going to matter to an athlete like yourself?

Even an old guy like me has no problem bringing along a P-85...it fits easily in my car along with the S910.

A young, perfectly in-shape guy like yourself (you must be if you're dragging around that old pig by yourself) shouldn't balk at an extra keyboard that would mean you wouldn't have to compromise playing piano on a wimpy keybed.

Ian

#293095 - 09/17/10 06:17 AM Re: Just felt like playing some blues
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Weird... could have sworn I remember you telling me that a flimsy plastic keybed like the S910's was no impediment to you being able to play with dynamics and control, and was, in fact, your preferred keybed for playing any sound on...!

And yet, the amazingly dynamic and semi-weighted G70 action is apparently completely incapable of being used for a piano sound...

So, which is it?

Once again, you want it both ways.

There's a reason they don't make fully weighted 61's... Any pianist will tell you that the NUMBER of keys is far more important than their weight.

#293096 - 09/17/10 06:17 AM Re: Just felt like playing some blues
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Haha, I resemble that remark.

Sounds great! Really amazing technology we all possess. Well, those who have a little talent can do it justice, haha.

#293097 - 09/17/10 06:44 AM Re: Just felt like playing some blues
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
G70 action is apparently completely incapable of being used for a piano sound...

Any pianist will tell you that the NUMBER of keys is far more important than their weight.

I don't use my S910 as a piano...piano is just one of the sounds I use in the RH, so the keybed works great...dynamics are perfect.

If any pianist tells you that the NUMBER of keys is more important than their weight...they ain't much of a pianist.

Visit any digital piano forum for more information...you'll see that it matters far more than you think.

So, you aren't really a pianist after all...

No wonder using unweighted action for piano pieces doesn't bother you.

The G-70 should be just fine in your case. Stick with it, sunshine.

Ian

#293098 - 09/17/10 07:12 AM Re: Just felt like playing some blues
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
I've messed around quite a bit with the SA sax voices in the MoXS... to be honest, I'm not that convinced. Making them monophonic kind of limits your options (sometimes you WANT to go divisi), and, try as I might, I couldn't get even close to the famous SA sax demo. That thing was sequenced and massaged to hell and back, not live play in the slightest, and I've heard little from any live demo that elevated it far beyond what I can do with normal triggering technology.

Well, perhaps I'm skeptical, but can you get these inflections and detail with a Roland Sax sound?
http://www.youtube.com/user/TyrosYamaha#p/u/184/ym_rwU1gX14

This is just played solo...can your G-70 and you get anywheres close to this?

I'd like to hear it.

Ian

#293099 - 09/17/10 07:39 AM Re: Just felt like playing some blues
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Guys, dont't be offended and PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, BUT, you're BOTH missing the whole point. With 'the blues', you either 'get it' or you don't. Sounds to me like neither of you do. This posting was about MUSIC, not sax emulations, and I'm really sorry the two of you chose to take it so far off course. Sure, music is worthy of an intellectual discussion but ultimately it's about emotion. Blues can be played with two teaspoons, but if the discussion is going to devolve into 'the metalurgical makeup of the teaspoons, then you've obviously missed the point. I've tried to make this point but obviously you two aren't listening or are only interested in your own agenda's. Really discourages anyone from posting music.

chas

#293100 - 09/17/10 07:51 AM Re: Just felt like playing some blues
Dnj Offline

What a shame this had to go south as usual

#293101 - 09/17/10 08:03 AM Re: Just felt like playing some blues
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
This posting was about MUSIC, not sax emulations, and I'm really sorry the two of you chose to take it so far off course. chas

Sorry Chas...my bad.

Please accept my apologies for straying from your original intent.

Ian the Apologetic

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online