SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#292200 - 09/04/10 12:08 AM motif XF demo utilising styles
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
arranger features intergrated even more into workstations. My next arranger is likely to be a motif. i havent finished with my PA1X. This is just pure gear lust. I admit it straight out ha ha !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utbO6Dw1dlM

also here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hgCN46Tps

[This message has been edited by spalding1968 (edited 09-04-2010).]

#292201 - 09/04/10 06:29 AM Re: motif XF demo utilising styles
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Hi Spalding, its nice but still way behind for Arranger features then M3 KARMA...i dont know
if you've ever checked that out, that would make a better arranger then this.

#292202 - 09/05/10 10:30 AM Re: motif XF demo utilising styles
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Why the heck can't they make the Tyros sound like that?

#292203 - 09/05/10 10:43 AM Re: motif XF demo utilising styles
Dnj Offline

Sounds fantastic...I have a funny feeling some of the Motif XF features will trickle down into the new Tyros 4 arranger on Setember 17th I think we'll be very surprised....

#292204 - 09/05/10 10:51 AM Re: motif XF demo utilising styles
spalding1968 Offline

they can chony, but for some reason they think that the arranger market is distinctly different to any other keyboard market and we keep telling them that this is true by repeatedly buying the same repackaged keyboard every 2-3 years.....

#292205 - 09/05/10 02:11 PM Re: motif XF demo utilising styles
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Because the Motif is a PRO workstation and that group is competing with Kurzweil, Roland, Korg, etc.

Funny isn't it...the arrangers cost a lot more, but the overall sound is beter on workstations. Of course there is exceptions,
SA, SA2....DNC these are pretty cool and the WS's don't have them.

Samples and programming seem to be better on Motif than Tyros is some but not all cases.

This has been a complaint of mine for a while.

Remember the Tyros is a grown up PSR...and that is from the home keyboard division.

Lee S.

#292206 - 09/06/10 12:45 AM Re: motif XF demo utilising styles
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There's some pretty significant differences in the way you work an arranger compared to a loop and arp playing WS. Now, I haven't played the XF yet, but the XS had VERY limited arp playing options.

First on the list - you had to manually select the loop you wanted... OK, maybe some of you are used to doing that, but arranger players have it a bit easy. When you press Fill, what is ACTUALLY happening is that the fill pattern drops in IMMEDIATELY (usually) into the currently playing pattern, then, when the fill is over, it then goes automatically goes to ANOTHER pattern (or the same one if Fill-to-Same is pressed). But on an XS, you have to do ALL those different things yourself, all in realtime

Now think about what Intros and Endings do... one plays fully, then goes automatically to another loop, and the other plays, then automatically stops.

That's a LOT of things being done for you on an arranger, that you don't get on a WS (AFAIK). So be careful calling them 'styles'

#292207 - 09/06/10 03:33 AM Re: motif XF demo utilising styles
to the genesys Offline

The XS is an arranger with styles.
The difference between the XS and the T3 as it relates to styles is the operation. If Yamaha wanted the styles on an XS to operate like the styles on a T3 does any one think it can not be done? All they have to do right now is to do that in an OS upgrade. But you know how Yamaha is with OS upgrades.

The next generation of Yamaha workstation will probably have more functions with styles (the same like what you are accustomed to on a T3).
And Yamaha would market it to workstation users as something very innovative and revolutionary when it has been already done on arrangers for decades.

Its like having flash memory on the new XF. I have had that on my “antiquated” Genesys since 2001.
But now with the XF it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Its all about holding back what people really need and slowly include them as additional features in a hardware upgrade. That is the way Yamaha does it. Can’t blame them as a business way of doing things it is good for Yamaha.

#292208 - 09/06/10 08:42 AM Re: motif XF demo utilising styles
spalding1968 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
There's some pretty significant differences in the way you work an arranger compared to a loop and arp playing WS. Now, I haven't played the XF yet, but the XS had VERY limited arp playing options.

First on the list - you had to manually select the loop you wanted... OK, maybe some of you are used to doing that, but arranger players have it a bit easy. When you press Fill, what is ACTUALLY happening is that the fill pattern drops in IMMEDIATELY (usually) into the currently playing pattern, then, when the fill is over, it then goes automatically goes to ANOTHER pattern (or the same one if Fill-to-Same is pressed). But on an XS, you have to do ALL those different things yourself, all in realtime

Now think about what Intros and Endings do... one plays fully, then goes automatically to another loop, and the other plays, then automatically stops.

That's a LOT of things being done for you on an arranger, that you don't get on a WS (AFAIK). So be careful calling them 'styles'

Its still a style Dikki. Different buttons to press to operate the style does not stop the actual sounds coming out that change when you change chord to be a style.

My brother has an XS and it works in the same way as any style. The whole purpose of it is to use it as a creative song writing tool. You select the groove you want as a template. You lay down some chord progressions so you have some sense of a beginning middle and ending and drop it in the sequencer.Mute the parts you dont want or delete them entirely. Then you programme your own intro , your own drum breaks and fills using the preset drum patterns if you want as a template which you can alter to your will,You can use the effects that have been provided in the template or use your own, change the instruments completely etc.

My brother thinks this is brilliant for recording quick and dirty sketch pad ideas and then add the detail later .

And its not just him that likes the idea as yamaha have taken the same idea into the XF range and ADDEDD INTROS AND ENDINGS !

This is exactly what i do with my PA1X. Once you get your mind open to the possibilities Dikki you will stop focusing on complete pre programmed styles and understand that whatever the manufacturer intended the product to be targeted for, it has much much broader capabilities akin to the needs of MOST musicians including workstation users , producers gigging musicians and hobbyists.

Mark my words. In the very near future all keyboards will come with preprogrammed styles as a 'suggestion' to the end user.

------------------

#292209 - 09/06/10 09:47 AM Re: motif XF demo utilising styles
Bachus Offline

Allways liked the Motif series... they allways outperformed Tyros...

I'd add an M3 rack (since Oasys ain't available anymore), Lionstracs groove rack and a Roland Vsynth and your home studio is set to rock and your relation with your friends to crumble....

I came to the conclusion that bny owning the above with the right software VSt's you'd have the best of all worlds...

Sadly this is not an option when traveling a lot and having the income to pay atleast 2 roadies, so we're still wayting for that one in all band solution that covers all or wishes...

If Yamaha only put their arranger options on top of the XF with improved ways to controll VST's running on a laptop, they would be close tough.

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online