SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#291790 - 08/28/10 03:02 PM Roland GW-8 + MIDI device
mauro1855 Offline

Loc: Portugal
Hi! I've posted my question in another thread, but since I had no response (though it was a few hours ago, but I'm not sure people will go back to that thread since its old), I'm creating a dedicated thread just for the question:

I'm thinking about buying Roland GW-8, but I read its possible to use a Pedal System like Roland's PK-5A. I've been reading about it, and I understand its possible to use the PK-5A to control some aspects of the GW-8 through the use of NTA. But what I'm really interested in knowing is if it is possible to use the PK-5A to play bass notes, like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O1_86b42yw

Regards

#291791 - 08/28/10 03:58 PM Re: Roland GW-8 + MIDI device
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Please don't take my word for it, but i would assume that the GW-8 would accept PK5 pedals. Simply plug a midi cable from the pedal's OUT plug to the GW8 MIDI in. PK5 looks for channel 2 as default, but you can set another channel using the pedal controls. I would check the GW8 manual, as they usually have a dedicated chapter for midi pedals. I have a set of PK5 that I use with my Hammond XK1, but haven't tried it with my s910.

#291792 - 08/29/10 03:31 AM Re: Roland GW-8 + MIDI device
mauro1855 Offline

Loc: Portugal
Thanks for your reply... The manual says its possible to plug those pedals, that I know for sure. The problem is that the manual says these pedals can be used to control some aspects of the keyboard (style variations and other stuff), but doesn't say anything about using the PK5 as Accomp Bass....

However, I searched further for the PK5 Manual, and it does say that the Bass Mode changes the MIDI Channel to 2. Back to the Roland GW-8 Manual, it says MIDI Channel 2 is "Accomp Bass", so I guess its possible, yes...

Regards

[This message has been edited by mauro1855 (edited 08-29-2010).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online