SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#291268 - 08/16/10 11:46 AM Ketron Audya vs Korg PA2XPro
Rich Z Offline

I've been looking at getting a new keyboard for a while now, and so far these two appear to be at the top of my list. Has anyone else traveled down this road? If so, why did you choose one over the other? Obviously saying one is "better" than the other is going to be pretty subjective. Personally, I will NEVER play professionally, and am just looking for the most fun for my money. I played in a band many moons ago, and am struggling to recall even what little I did know way back then. An arranger just appears to be what would be most fun for me and get the most mileage out of my very meager skill set.

I've got an old Ensonig ESQ-1 that I dragged out from laying under the bed for the past 15 or so years, and recently bought a Yamaha DGX-640 which has a slight arranger capability, but was mostly for my wife to learn to play keyboards with. We retired our business several months ago, and now have some time to enjoy ourselves with something like this.

Thanks for any opinions anyone is willing to share here.

#291269 - 08/16/10 12:09 PM Re: Ketron Audya vs Korg PA2XPro
Joe0710 Offline

Loc: South Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Z:
I've been looking at getting a new keyboard for a while now, and so far these two appear to be at the top of my list. Has anyone else traveled down this road? If so, why did you choose one over the other? Obviously saying one is "better" than the other is going to be pretty subjective. Personally, I will NEVER play professionally, and am just looking for the most fun for my money. I played in a band many moons ago, and am struggling to recall even what little I did know way back then. An arranger just appears to be what would be most fun for me and get the most mileage out of my very meager skill set.

I've got an old Ensonig ESQ-1 that I dragged out from laying under the bed for the past 15 or so years, and recently bought a Yamaha DGX-640 which has a slight arranger capability, but was mostly for my wife to learn to play keyboards with. We retired our business several months ago, and now have some time to enjoy ourselves with something like this.

Thanks for any opinions anyone is willing to share here.

Rich,

when I looked for a new keyboard I had also this 2 in mind - but, to be honest I was a little bit pre-stressed with the Ketron XD module. I had the PA2x for a weekend at home and then I had the Audya for a weekend at home. At that time the Audya had the OS 1.2 and belive me, it was full of bugs. It was nearly not possible to connect my midi accordeon to the keyboard. Finally I made the decission to buy the Korg PA2x. I bought it and I was happy for about 2 weeks. After that time I went back to my dealer and asked him to take back the PA2x for an Audya, even if the OS is not stable. I never regret this decsion.
The main reason for my decision are the incredable styles of Ketron. Nevertheless the PA2x is also a quite nice keyboard. From my point of view the GUI is better on the PA2x and the PA2x has some nice Presets - meanwhile the Audya with the new OS too.

Don't know if this helps.

Joe

#291270 - 08/16/10 04:34 PM Re: Ketron Audya vs Korg PA2XPro
Rich Z Offline

Yeah, I've had one or the other at the TOP of the list off and on over the past couple of months. I was really put off by all the bad press about the Audya a little while ago. Even now, I don't think Ketron's programmers are really much on the ball, with bugs still lurking apparently.

As for the PA2X, well, I'm leery of making a purchase now (or real soon, anyway) as Korg is likely ready to do an update to this model, perhaps PA3X or some such. And it sure would gripe me to buy now and then have something better hit the streets a month or so later.

Actually, I also looked at the MediaStation, but I'm not sure they are available anywhere now.

I might have been interested in the Tyros 3, but I really don't want a 61 key keyboard. Even 76 is a compromise, as I would prefer the full 88 keys. But has always seemed to be the case with anything, NO ONE ever makes anything that would be absolutely perfect for me. So obviously the problem is ME, in that I set my sights way too high.

But I'm in no real hurry.

#291271 - 08/16/10 04:41 PM Re: Ketron Audya vs Korg PA2XPro
Rich Z Offline

Yeah, I've had one or the other at the TOP of the list off and on over the past couple of months. I was really put off by all the bad press about the Audya a little while ago. Even now, I don't think Ketron's programmers are really much on the ball, with bugs still lurking apparently.

As for the PA2X, well, I'm leery of making a purchase now (or real soon, anyway) as Korg is likely ready to do an update to this model, perhaps PA3X or some such. And it sure would gripe me to buy now and then have something better hit the streets a month or so later.

Actually, I also looked at the MediaStation, but I'm not sure they are available anywhere now.

I might have been interested in the Tyros 3, but I really don't want a 61 key keyboard. Even 76 is a compromise, as I would prefer the full 88 keys. But has always seemed to be the case with anything, NO ONE ever makes anything that would be absolutely perfect for me. So obviously the problem is ME, in that I set my sights way too high.

But I'm in no real hurry.

#291272 - 08/16/10 05:55 PM Re: Ketron Audya vs Korg PA2XPro
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Rich,

Not sure where your located, but I have the Lionstrac Groove X7, Audya, PA2xpro, S910 on display

Frank

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#291273 - 08/16/10 06:18 PM Re: Ketron Audya vs Korg PA2XPro
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
PA2x or Audya?

That is a difficult opinion for me to share. I like them both.

AUDYA: Excellent drums and good sounds. Very good styles Easy to use, Registration are easy to save. Is work in progress. Still have some bugs in the OS, but I think that all the TOL arrangers have some kind of bugs. If you are able to understand that you will be dealing with still un-resolve minor issues, then is a way to go.

PA2x: Very good keyboard in general. I think that after the Audya it have the better drums in the market. Better sounds than Audya. The DNC sounds are as good any body. Love the PA2x pianos, sax, sweet horn and guitars.
The styles are very good and live. User interface is easy to learn, and and you can modify ANY setup as your liking. You can import third party sounds with easy. very good sequencer.
The songbook is the best of any arranger.

If you like instruments with 88 keys, take a look of the Korg PA588. No as complete as the PA2x, but it has some of the same sounds and styles of the PA2x. The keybed is just wonderful.

Another route is to go with a Ketron SD2 module, an arranger software like Varranger, and a 88 keys MIDI controller keyboard.

As you say, I think that Korg is working in something new, but my feelings is that it won't be available until the end of the year.

Best advise is to try then all, but probably you don't have no all of them available close by.

#291274 - 08/17/10 12:22 AM Re: Ketron Audya vs Korg PA2XPro
Rich Z Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
Rich,

Not sure where your located, but I have the Lionstrac Groove X7, Audya, PA2xpro, S910 on display

Frank

Thanks for the offer, Frank, but it would be quite a hike from north Florida to CT..

#291275 - 08/17/10 05:39 PM Re: Ketron Audya vs Korg PA2XPro
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Audya and 2X cannot be compared in no way, not cuz one is better then the other but they are
2 different machines even though both of them are arrangers. One of them works with Audio Loops
while the other has Synthezis Engine or Style Creator at least one Milenia ahead of Ketron...
many different things are different and uncomparable.

#291276 - 08/18/10 11:23 PM Re: Ketron Audya vs Korg PA2XPro
Rich Z Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nedim:
Audya and 2X cannot be compared in no way, not cuz one is better then the other but they are
2 different machines even though both of them are arrangers. One of them works with Audio Loops
while the other has Synthezis Engine or Style Creator at least one Milenia ahead of Ketron...
many different things are different and uncomparable.

Oh I believe they can. FEATURES can certainly be compared, can't they? For instance it appears that the PA2X has a sequencer but the Audya does not. Both have vocalizers, but I found out that the vocalizer in the PA2X is a "light version" without pitch correction. Does the Audya have pitch correction in it's vocalizer?

The way a keyboard SOUNDS is pretty subjective, as is "feel" of the keyboard, so I would have to take that all with a grain of salt. What I may like and someone else may like may not be even close to being the same thing.

#291277 - 08/20/10 08:40 PM Re: Ketron Audya vs Korg PA2XPro
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Rich, exactly, completely agreed with you...the way i compare machines is by features
and how can you use them, not how they sound, sound is subjective...features tell all.
And featurewise you can not compare them cuz Audya has NO FEATURES...thats the problem.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online