SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#290959 - 08/10/10 07:55 PM One Year Anniversary...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It was a year ago last Sunday when I suffered a heart attack--a day I shall never forget. My background in cardio-pulmonary medicine alerted me to exactly what was taking place, and allowed me to take the necessary steps to save my life and prevent ischemic heart damage. A couple days in the hospital and two stents later I was on the mend. Two weeks later I went back to work, maintaining the same, demanding schedule.

I've always told everyone else to take time to smell the roses, but failed to heed my own advice. I've worked hard all my life, beginning at age 10 cutting lawns with a push mower in Baltimore. The schedule has always been 6 to 7 days a week, and that didn't change until last January when I took the month off to visit a number of Zoners in the sunny south.

This past Sunday, was another rare day off. The weather was sunny, warm and breezy, a great day to go sailing. My wife and I climbed aboard my sailboat at about 3 p.m. with a cooler chest filled with ice, beer, a bottle of wine, a block of horseradish cheese and some wine glasses. It was a celebration of sorts, one that commemorated my one-year anniversary since the heart attack.

We sailed about 32 miles altogether, well into the starlit night. As we glided silently back to the marina and watched the beautiful array of tiny lights blinking across the Chesapeake's tranquil surface I thought about all the things I've done over the past seven decades. For me, there's always something new to discover, something just over the not too distant horizon. The thing that fascinates me most, though, is all the wonderful people I've met in my lifetime, many of whom frequent this forum.

This morning's reality check was when the calendar reminded me that in just two months I'll be celebrating my 70th birthday, another of life's many milestones. And, for the first time in more than two decades, I'm not working on my birthday. If the weather's fit, I think I'll take my wife and children sailing that day--seems like a good way to celebrate 70 years of having fun. For me, life has been a hell-of-a great ride. And those of you in my life have made it a wonderful ride as well.

Thanks everyone,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#290960 - 08/10/10 08:47 PM Re: One Year Anniversary...
Dnj Offline

.....don't worry to hard about the numbers, just go have fun Every Day and enjoy life there's plenty more comin' your way buddy!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GARY

#290961 - 08/10/10 09:16 PM Re: One Year Anniversary...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
It ain't his birthday yet, haha.

Gary, you are da man... I do love your spirit. And share your distress at having heart disease. But, we're still here. And DonM and others, too. Cheers!

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 08-10-2010).]

#290962 - 08/10/10 10:23 PM Re: One Year Anniversary...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dang that's some purty writin', boy.
I think it's time to slow down a little. Take a month or so, slide across and pick up Fran and DNJ and Dave and a few more and ease on down here to the Sunny South for a while. This Cajun food kills all the fat cells in your arteries.
DonM

#290963 - 08/11/10 12:50 AM Re: One Year Anniversary...
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Gary,
I have been sailing for the past 40 years currently with a Seal 32,had a heart attack 10 years ago so know exactly where your coming from.Sailing is an experience that can not be conveyed in words It is more a way of life which makes you aware of just how precious life really is.Enjoy,Enjoy Enjoy

Best Regards Gilbert.

#290964 - 08/11/10 01:07 AM Re: One Year Anniversary...
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I'm 73 and only 1 year ago my wife and I decided we wanted to experience a Motorhome so bought one. We now go away alternate weeks, one week at home then one week away all 12 months of the year...We have found it a good way of winding down to relax....so we have now started to smell the roses.

#290965 - 08/11/10 04:22 AM Re: One Year Anniversary...
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary, I had my heart by-pass in 1996, I thought part of my life had come to an end. My mind was filled with, I will not be able to play another job or tune another piano, how wrong I was. Fourteen years latter I can say I did all of it and enjoyed good health. I just received my medical report I now have Diabetes in control and my stress test was good.

But --- I never stopped doing battle with the pace of my life. In one of my marriage counseling seminars I learned that the #1 cause of problems in a marriage is “the pace in our lives”. I feel that the pace of our lives has a way of hurting more than just marriages. My cure, “Keep focused on me I am the problem”. (smile)

John C.

#290966 - 08/11/10 04:29 AM Re: One Year Anniversary...
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Gary:

Thanks for sharing your story... and for a pleasant sail in the Chesapeake. Living and enjoying one day at a time just doing the things you enjoy, visiting with old friends, playing golf are important when approaching the autumn of your life.

There are lots of participants here who have endured and survived the various facets of heart disease. (Some more than others.) My hats off to this entertaining group of keyboard artists. Thanks for letting me tag along.

Dave Rice

#290967 - 08/11/10 05:46 AM Re: One Year Anniversary...
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Gary - congrats to you and thanks for the inspirational words on life and the importance of enjoying it! I turn 60 next week and will get a 'pink slip' from my engineering job on 15 September. In the coming months, I hope to employ some of the principles you expounded on so eloquently! If you find yourself back in the FL panhandle, we'd love to meet up with you and your lovely wife again and maybe even enjoy some more of that delicious kickapoo juice! Enjoy the summer and my very best wishes for another successful and fulfilling 70 years!

Randy

[This message has been edited by saxxman (edited 08-11-2010).]

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#290968 - 08/11/10 06:00 AM Re: One Year Anniversary...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
I'm 73 and only 1 year ago my wife and I decided we wanted to experience a Motorhome so bought one. We now go away alternate weeks, one week at home then one week away all 12 months of the year...We have found it a good way of winding down to relax....so we have now started to smell the roses.

Hmmm, that's interesting, Graham. Do you have a house sitter while away? You haven't run out of places to go? What size motor home? What do you do on trips? Inquiring minds want to know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online