SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#290899 - 08/07/10 02:57 PM DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
Dnj Offline

Think again !!

Why should kids today learn how to play instruments when they see see this kind of thing every day.......too hard to learn to play......but DJ'ing is easier is what they say....scary at this rate that in the future little by little it will be all gone and DJ'ing will be KING!!!! You dont see crowds like this for someone playing a Arranger Kb!...let's face it Live is pre computer age....and it was the norm and was able to survive admirably....but ever since the advent of High Tech Computers music in every way has taken many paths with no end in sight splintering all genres so much that there can never be one major audience for any type ever again. I'm glad to be the last generation to have experienced both in one life time.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-07-2010).]

#290900 - 08/07/10 05:27 PM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I don't know about Jersey, but down here there's a waiting list for the kids trying to find music instruction. Every independent music store here offers music lessons for the instruments they sell and the kids are waiting in line to sign up for them. I know one store that has 25 instructors and the store has 10 rooms dedicated to teaching. Those rooms are packed from 10 a.m. till 9 p.m. six days a week. Most of the DJs here have been slowly but surely replaced by KJs, and a lot of KJs have been pushed aside by OMBs. Guess it depends on where you live.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#290901 - 08/07/10 06:33 PM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
Dnj Offline

Gary i would bet the clubs in downtown Baltimore are fist pumping DJ music and 90% of all weddings are DJ also.....doesn't matter where you go....as for these crooks who run these music schools baiting these poor kids into lessons and leading them on little by little each week just to make money is pathetic....the world musically has changed dramatically no way around it.
These kids are doomed to a world out there that is a mess and getting worse day by day.....so you learn to play a flute, accordion, tuba and then what? 99% of all philharmonic orchestras are Asian you know why...because the take music seriously and study hard to make a career out of it..
look around......OMB's have to find their niche or forget it in a DJ saturated DJ/KJ society out there sorry to say. The sad part people are starting tio accept it as the norm....

#290902 - 08/07/10 08:31 PM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Dnj- yes I agree with much of what you are saying. Dj's do pack the clubs that the young people like to go to. But I think a keyboardist (maybe not an arranger player)has the potencial to put on just as good of show as any DJ and can also do all that electonic stuff the kids like too.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#290903 - 08/07/10 09:04 PM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I disagree.

I think the reason arranger keyboard performances are not popular is because they are SO boring. The dance section on both the Yamaha T3 and the Korg Pa2x are useless. In addition, most of the OMB performances I have seen live and on youtube are lifeless...

These DJs on the other hand are full of life and energy.

That's the difference.

#290904 - 08/08/10 02:32 AM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
There is hope. It might be a small segment, but there are still young people out there who understand real music and like it when quality musicians play that music. I was at a birthday party about a month ago for a young guy, twenty-something. Everybody there mostly was 20's and 30's. I had my guitar there upon the request of the guy whose birthday it was. A few hours into the party we started doing Sinatra, Martin, Bobby Darin, Nat King Cole, louis Prima, in addition to a little classic rock stuf. I was totaly amazed how many of the people there knew that music, could sing along with parts of it, requested certain songs. Another guy got out a trumpet, and though he wasn't great, he sort of knew the tunes and didn't suck.

Live music still rules here in Nashville. i'm playing a wedding in September as part of an 8-piece western swing band. And we're actually being paid well to boot. Maybe that's why I moved here; an escape to one of the last outposts where live music still reigns and the DJ is the small minority.

#290905 - 08/08/10 03:02 AM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I think it depends a lot on the type of venue and the audience you are playing too. Most of the places my band plays only have live bands and no DJs so we don't even compete with DJs. Not that they aren't out there, but live bands generally arent hired at clubs that use DJs. It's another world completely.

#290906 - 08/08/10 04:27 AM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
I think it depends a lot on the type of venue and the audience you are playing too. Most of the places my band plays only have live bands and no DJs so we don't even compete with DJs. Not that they aren't out there, but live bands generally arent hired at clubs that use DJs. It's another world completely.

Nigel just the fact that DJ's are out there in clubs, weddings, etc, etc .. creates competition and each takes the place of live music...the ratio is overwhelming now.

#290907 - 08/08/10 04:35 AM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
"Why should kids today learn how to play instruments when they see these kinds of things everyday ?"

The commercial aspect aside, what a cultural calamity it would be. The pure joy of accomplishing a worthwhile goal and simply making music with your own instrument would be lost.

I certainly hope not.

Bernie

#290908 - 08/08/10 05:06 AM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
''These DJs on the other hand are full of life and energy''

Of course they're full of life and energy because they dont have to do anything that requires real concentration so they just dance to the music like everybody else !

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
I disagree.

I think the reason arranger keyboard performances are not popular is because they are SO boring. The dance section on both the Yamaha T3 and the Korg Pa2x are useless. In addition, most of the OMB performances I have seen live and on youtube are lifeless...

These DJs on the other hand are full of life and energy.

That's the difference.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online