SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#290919 - 08/09/10 06:36 AM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
What I think is so often overlooked here on this forum regarding DJ's is that they're just like any other performer. You have your good ones, and your poor ones. Same can be said for keyboard players.

The problem I notice is that quite a few here have reduced the modern DJ to someone who just essentially presses, START, STOP, PAUSE, and NEXT. That's not the case at all. Many of today's DJ's are actually quite skilled. How many of you guys here can "scratch" and do it well..?? Have you ever tried it? (it's not as easy as it looks). How many of you guys here know how to take ANY song out there..., chop it up.., add your own flavor to it, and turn it into a dance hit? Better yet.., how many here consider themselves skilled enough to even run a modern sampler, turn-table, or groovebox?

Before you guys trash the DJ.., first try and do their job and see if you can keep up. You'd be surprised how many DJ's are REAL musicians too.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-09-2010).]

Finally a post that makes sense. Thanks, Squeak.

Always good to hear from you.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#290920 - 08/09/10 07:53 AM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
What I think is so often overlooked here on this forum regarding DJ's is that they're just like any other performer. You have your good ones, and your poor ones. Same can be said for keyboard players.

The problem I notice is that quite a few here have reduced the modern DJ to someone who just essentially presses, START, STOP, PAUSE, and NEXT. That's not the case at all. Many of today's DJ's are actually quite skilled. How many of you guys here can "scratch" and do it well..?? Have you ever tried it? (it's not as easy as it looks). How many of you guys here know how to take ANY song out there..., chop it up.., add your own flavor to it, and turn it into a dance hit? Better yet.., how many here consider themselves skilled enough to even run a modern sampler, turn-table, or groovebox?

Before you guys trash the DJ.., first try and do their job and see if you can keep up. You'd be surprised how many DJ's are REAL musicians too.

Good post Squeak...funny a DJ post brings you out of hiding ....one of my my sons is a very popular "Drums & Bass" style DJ who performs at Mega Raves and Hugh Events in many major cities on the east coast let me tell ya....you better know what your doing when there are thousands of people dancing out there......it takes alot of experience and talent to be successful.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-09-2010).]

#290921 - 08/09/10 08:50 AM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
There are lots of DJ's here working all the time. In fact, my young son and i have a sound company/DJ operation that concentrates on sound system rentals and DJ work for outside car shows. I only participate by buying equipment and donating the big old stuff I no longer use.

I don't see any competition from DJ's because of the difference in the venues. Mine are upscale restaurants, government agencies, corporate events (an occasional DJ is hired)and horse farm galas.

But, Lexington, Kentucky is a unique market where, lots of times, WHO you know is way more important than how good you are.

Thank goodness for that!

Russ

#290922 - 08/09/10 09:13 AM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I'm not a DJ Donny However.., I personally know quite a few DJ's. I've seen DJ skill levels range from the most basic individual who just turns on some lights.., switches CD's and talks in the mic, all the way up to DJ's that could "easily" hang with top keyboard/synth players.

You'd be surprised how many DJ's are actually synth, guitar, and drum players too. If I had a $1.00 for every time I saw a MicroKorg, Moog, R3, Ion, and other well known synths in a DJ's rig.., I'd have retired years ago!

You have to take into consideration the venue as well. How many of you guys here would show up to a Rave.., or "modern" dance crowd with your arrangers to put on a show..?? The arranger keyboard can't cut it for this venue.., and I would even go as far as saying some of the major workstations aren't enough for the job either.

To be a "damn good" DJ you MUST know how to turn a modern sampler "inside out". You have got to be a pro at using one. You also must be extremely familiar with the use of a modern groovebox. You have got to learn how to scratch (and scratch the hell out of a record too). The list just goes on for a good DJ's qualifications.

What I don't understand is why they take so much heat on this forum too. Many here play their gigs with preset keyboard styles or midi files. If you're playing a popular song and have the majority of the song being handled by a style (while also switching from one variation to the next).., aren't you "essentially" DJ'ing to some extent?

Don't forget..., MANY of the DJ's out there (the really good ones) completey chop up a song, remix it.., and manually play solos overtop of the the mix with a synth (WHILE) scratching a record.., triggering various patterns from a groovebox or samples from a sampler.

Like I said.., before you knock what these guys/gals do.., try it for yourself and see if you can keep up. It only "LOOKS" easy.

Sqk

GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#290923 - 08/09/10 11:10 AM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
I'm not a DJ Donny However.., I personally know quite a few DJ's. I've seen DJ skill levels range from the most basic individual who just turns on some lights.., switches CD's and talks in the mic, all the way up to DJ's that could "easily" hang with top keyboard/synth players.

You'd be surprised how many DJ's are actually synth, guitar, and drum players too. If I had a $1.00 for every time I saw a MicroKorg, Moog, R3, Ion, and other well known synths in a DJ's rig.., I'd have retired years ago!

You have to take into consideration the venue as well. How many of you guys here would show up to a Rave.., or "modern" dance crowd with your arrangers to put on a show..?? The arranger keyboard can't cut it for this venue.., and I would even go as far as saying some of the major workstations aren't enough for the job either.

To be a "damn good" DJ you MUST know how to turn a modern sampler "inside out". You have got to be a pro at using one. You also must be extremely familiar with the use of a modern groovebox. You have got to learn how to scratch (and scratch the hell out of a record too). The list just goes on for a good DJ's qualifications.

What I don't understand is why they take so much heat on this forum too. Many here play their gigs with preset keyboard styles or midi files. If you're playing a popular song and have the majority of the song being handled by a style (while also switching from one variation to the next).., aren't you "essentially" DJ'ing to some extent?

Don't forget..., MANY of the DJ's out there (the really good ones) completey chop up a song, remix it.., and manually play solos overtop of the the mix with a synth (WHILE) scratching a record.., triggering various patterns from a groovebox or samples from a sampler.

Like I said.., before you knock what these guys/gals do.., try it for yourself and see if you can keep up. It only "LOOKS" easy.

Sqk

Squeak all good points.....there's no getting around the splintered musical world that has evolved in the last 30 years due to the advent of computers and the Internet. Creativeness has flourished big time worldwide, & so has different instruments of all kinds to make Music ...like it or not is not the question. Years ago the whole world listened to the same music...but today with thousands of outlets to be heard by the masses it's a "free for all" of MEGA MAGNITUDES! Turning your nose at what you don't like will not change what has happened, or being an Egotistical Purist as well. I say, try to fit in somewhere, find YOUR Niche, embrace others talents, try to extract and absorb from what you see & hear musically and incorporate it into what YOU do somehow. CREATIVNESS is KING today, love it or leave it, Put it all together for your your own style of multitasking to make todays audiences happy. It's all out there for you to grab......
go for it while you still can

#290924 - 08/10/10 12:44 AM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
What I don't understand is why they take so much heat on this forum too.

I understand what you are saying but if you look back on the majority of postings in this thread they weren't giving DJs any heat. They were simply talking about losing gigs to DJs. But I totally agree with you about DJ gigs that couldn't be filled by either arranger keyboard players or live bands. We didn't lose those gigs ... we were never a viable candidate for them.

Quote:

Yep I agree with you but this isn't typical of most suburban DJs. 95% I see in bars don't do much more than talk into a mic and press start on CDs.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-10-2010).]

#290925 - 08/11/10 09:05 PM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Squeak all good points.....there's no getting around the splintered musical world that has evolved in the last 30 years due to the advent of computers and the Internet. Creativeness has flourished big time worldwide, & so has different instruments of all kinds to make Music ...like it or not is not the question. Years ago the whole world listened to the same music...but today with thousands of outlets to be heard by the masses it's a "free for all" of MEGA MAGNITUDES! Turning your nose at what you don't like will not change what has happened, or being an Egotistical Purist as well. I say, try to fit in somewhere, find YOUR Niche, embrace others talents, try to extract and absorb from what you see & hear musically and incorporate it into what YOU do somehow. CREATIVNESS is KING today, love it or leave it, Put it all together for your your own style of multitasking to make todays audiences happy. It's all out there for you to grab......

Donny.....this was an incredibly insightful observation/commentary. I'm glad you posted it. It started me thinking (where I wasn't thinking before) about how much and how quickly the music has changed around me these past few years. I see that it can be liberating or challenging depending on which road one wants to take. Music, it seems, is like life....constant changes, some slow, some abrupt, but always changing....along with the audiences.

I'm surprised no one else commented on what you wrote here.

Lucky

Lucky

#290926 - 08/11/10 09:09 PM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
Dnj Offline

Originally posted by Dnj:

"Donny.....this was an incredibly insightful observation/commentary. I'm glad you posted it. It started me thinking (where I wasn't thinking before) about how much and how quickly the music has changed around me these past few years. I see that it can be liberating or challenging depending on which road one wants to take. Music, it seems, is like life....constant changes, some slow, some abrupt, but always changing....along with the audiences.

I'm surprised no one else commented on what you wrote here."

Lucky>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lucky glad you enjoyed the read, just my thoughts......maybe people are a bit busy ...I hope more respond to this topic also...

d.

#290927 - 08/12/10 06:21 AM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
Zydecat Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI
Up until the early 1990's, there were quite a few wedding reception type bands playing regularly around the central Michigan area. Now, I'd be surprised if there are any - if there's entertainment, it's a DJ. We seldom hang long at such events, if I wanted to listen to CDs at high volumes I'd do it at home.

Great points about finding and maximizing enjoyment and growth in your musical niche. Probably easier for us day-jobbers I suspect. I've moved much more into roots type music these days, your basic blues, honky-tonk, Gospel, and the like. I like it clean, simple, and in the pocket.

I care more about the music itself than how it's made. Anything beyond acapella singing introduces tools to the art, and skill in using those tools is what counts.

Music is like color, there's an endless variety and we all have our likes and dislikes, influenced by individual perception. Keeps things interesting that way.

#290928 - 08/12/10 05:28 PM Re: DJ's are no competition for Live Giging Musicians?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I think we serve two different masters. There are events where people specifically want a DJ and some where they want an actual musician performing live for their guests.

I know of DJ's in the Dayton area who take their job extremely seriously, attend professional seminars, take outside courses to improve their public speaking and writing skills, etc. These guys pull down a little over 2 grand for the average wedding and they work a lot.

They have tremendous reputations and shouldn't be disrespected by guys like me.

That said, if the client wants someone to actually perform for their guests, a DJ isn't going to merit much consideration.

Like Chas, I'm really happy playing mostly Nursing Homes. I feel the work is important and the other stuff on the calender just pays the bills.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online