SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#290738 - 08/02/10 06:18 AM Storage during hot summer
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
It was 105* F here yesterday, to be 106* F today. For music gear in a public storage shed, any worries?

#290739 - 08/02/10 06:39 AM Re: Storage during hot summer
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hi Semilive - I know that if my cell phone (Blackberry model) is in my car in the heat in the afternoon....it conks out) - so far each time it did that it came back after the air conditioning brought the temps down. I have been storing my sound system in the garage for years and in the summer it gets insanely hot in there (120ish?). I know it's not good. But so far I have not noticed any detrimental effects. I've also had my Crate battery amp out in that heat for 4+ years. I did lose my lead acid battery on the Crate a year ago (maybe 3 years use) but I suspect it may have been from overcharging (leaving it on the charger once the battery had a full charge). Air conditioning for my garage is on the top of my list.

Best of luck with your heat challenge! Keep us posted!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#290740 - 08/02/10 07:10 AM Re: Storage during hot summer
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I had a similar post with that question a short while back. I think the most cost effective soloution for me to avoid the temp changes and salt ait in Cape May NJ is to build a small closet in my garage and install a small combo air/heat unit to keep it above freezing and below boiling and also keep the humidity down
A tech answered me and said the worst is leaving your keyboards and such in a closed car. That I have tried to avoid all along

Good luck

Bill in NJ

#290741 - 08/02/10 07:37 AM Re: Storage during hot summer
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have left my gear in the car until the past couple of weeks, when the temperatures have been up around 100. Now I'm unloading and keeping everything in the garage except the keyboard. It comes into the house.
My garage is a little hot, but at least it's in the shade most of the day.
You should have been with us on the golf course yesterday Bill! That 105 with the heat index was up around 112!
DonM

#290742 - 08/02/10 07:41 AM Re: Storage during hot summer
Dnj Offline

Everyday is closer to winter!

I hate the summer!!

#290743 - 08/02/10 07:09 PM Re: Storage during hot summer
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Heat can wreak havoc on the plastics in certain weighted keyboard action designs. The weights will expand at a different rate than the plastic used to capture the weight and eventually that plastic will crack, resulting in a resounding "clack" when the key is pressed.

Heat like you mention here can also be detrimental to certain types of LCD displays, as well. Sometimes the display will darken completely but will come back when the temperature falls to normal room temp, but sometimes the damage is more permanent, resulting in anything from a dark blotch where nothing can be read to the fullscreen becoming useless.

Rule of thumb for ANY musical instrument is to not leave it where a human wouldn't be able to survive for long.
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#290744 - 08/10/10 11:09 AM Re: Storage during hot summer
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Everyday is closer to winter!

I hate the summer!!

Having just come off a 7 day cruise to Bermuda, I couldn't DISAGREE with you more ....
t.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online