Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#289060 - 06/13/10 03:38 AM Re: arrangers vs. PC software
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by arranger_yes_pc_no:
hey all....just got a fantastic PSR-3000.
This keyboard exceeded all my expectations.

I still remember a couple of years ago when I was frustrated with making music on PC and wanting an arranger to write music on.

I know exactly what you mean. I am a software engineer for 25 years now and am totally comfortable with computers. However when it comes to making music I find that computer issues simply get in the way. Sure I admit computers can offer more options ... but I really don't care to invest that sort of time or effort. I much prefer to have a closed system that simply works so I can ignore the technical issues and just get down to playing music. I am quite happy to sacrifice some options if I can just start playing music with being distracted by technical issues.

My entire work life revolves around solving software problems. So that absolutely is the last thing I want to do when I am away from work in a creative mood.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 06-13-2010).]

#289061 - 06/14/10 07:51 AM Re: arrangers vs. PC software
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

abacus , been there, done that. I have used Band in a Box and One Man Band for years. Band in a Box I have used more, because I don't need a lot of realtime stuff.

As for Live Styler, my God. I uninstalled it after 10 minutes, hated all the numerical values I had to enter and it's complexity.

I'll use the PC only to substitute the sounds after the music has been fully written on the hardware.

Integration? No thanks...it never really worked the way I want, and it never will.

#289062 - 06/14/10 07:54 AM Re: arrangers vs. PC software

Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:
Nah, I think its just Diki that made a new account to try and prove the same old things from a different viewpoint..

There is just to many flaws in this story to give it any serious consideration..

so, you read a post and you think it's your friend Dik who's trying to tell you some 'old things from a different viewpoint'. Then , because of this, you conclude that it's a story not worth of your consideration.

I suggest you take up therapy, my friend.

#289063 - 06/14/10 07:57 AM Re: arrangers vs. PC software

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
I know exactly what you mean. I am a software engineer for 25 years now and am totally comfortable with computers. However when it comes to making music I find that computer issues simply get in the way. Sure I admit computers can offer more options ... but I really don't care to invest that sort of time or effort. I much prefer to have a closed system that simply works so I can ignore the technical issues and just get down to playing music. I am quite happy to sacrifice some options if I can just start playing music with being distracted by technical issues.

My entire work life revolves around solving software problems. So that absolutely is the last thing I want to do when I am away from work in a creative mood.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 06-13-2010).]

thanks Nigel,I really valued your opinion. It describes exactly my point. Less options at times can work a LOT better.

[This message has been edited by arranger_yes_pc_no (edited 06-14-2010).]

#289064 - 06/14/10 07:59 AM Re: arrangers vs. PC software

Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:
If you are using high end East West and Kontakt samples and think the PSR-3000 sounds are anywhere near the same quality, you seriously need to have your studio monitors or your hearing checked.

That's not what I have said. At all. You seriously need to get your sight checked. and /or your brains. Probably both, though.

#289065 - 06/14/10 08:06 AM Re: arrangers vs. PC software

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:

I have found the default settings to work pretty much spot on. (You must have changed some setting without realising it)

Bill[/B]

default settings of what, Bill? Do you use Eastwest pianos too?
The piano sound I am talking about, has nothing to do with settings....it has a ridicolously narrow dynamic range. I have tried every settings you can imagine.

#289066 - 06/14/10 11:23 AM Re: arrangers vs. PC software
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi
Go to http://purgatorycreek.com/ and click on the Digital Piano Shoot out, there you will find the dynamic range of East West Piano samples are as good if not better than the others.
The ones I have tried (True Pianos, NI, Pianissimo, Pianoteq) have worked pretty much spot on straight out the box, and with the quality samples that East West produce, I find it difficult to believe they would get their piano samples wrong.

Livestyler
Sounds like you were using a very early version which always was a pain in the backside, however it’s now much better, (V11) so have another look, and also make sure you have a look at the others I posted as well.

Integration
Try any of the computer based keyboards, and you will find you can select the Top sound samples as easily as the internal voices on your Yamaha. (This includes main and style sounds)
Regards

Bill

#289067 - 06/14/10 11:43 AM Re: arrangers vs. PC software
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

I agree with Bill.

I have used a software based arranger system for many, many, many, many years and then some!!!!

Thank you

Frank

#289068 - 06/14/10 11:58 AM Re: arrangers vs. PC software
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by arranger_yes_pc_no:
so, you read a post and you think it's your friend Dik who's trying to tell you some 'old things from a different viewpoint'. Then , because of this, you conclude that it's a story not worth of your consideration.

I suggest you take up therapy, my friend.

Maybe you should talk to my therapeut

http://keyszone.boards.net

#289069 - 06/15/10 07:48 PM Re: arrangers vs. PC software
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So what we are saying here is, if anyone posts a cogent, well articulated and detailed post about anything, it MUST come from me?

You flatter me... (even if you didn't intend to..!)

I think the point the OP is making is the INSTANT nature of arrangers. That's why we all like them so much. WS's, even long before open keyboards, have been able to make MUCH better sounding final products than arrangers do. BUT... it takes a LONG, long time, comparatively. Not all of us have that time to spare, not all of us have the skills even if we HAD the time, not all of us need the improvement that time would make over our arrangers...

There's a REASON we are all here on an arranger forum. And, as much as the open keyboard love their keyboards, when push comes to shove, pretty much ALL of them have conventional arrangers, too. And, if the truth be known, actually use these live a lot more than their open keyboards.

There's room in music for BOTH types of keyboards. My disagreement with the open community mostly comes from their hyperbole of not NEEDING closed keyboards any longer, all evidence to the contrary. It's painfully obvious that the open community does not have a TOTL arranger, yet. And that closed keyboards do not have the sound and flexibility of the open ones. But there are different times when you need these different tools. Neither can replace the other.

I use arrangers for live playing. I also use arrangers as sketch pads for studio work. But then I complete these projects with VSTi's, and WS's in addition to what sounds from my arranger survive (sometimes it's none, sometimes it's quite a few). To do the job properly, you need to use EVERYTHING. I still believe (and so far, all evidence seems to show it) that open keyboards do not yet do the jobs of their closed counterparts as well, as easily, and as quickly. They do the jobs that they are best at better than closed keyboards. But there is no outright winner, yet.

And, trust me, the day that software alone CAN do the job as well, as easily and as quickly as what I currently use, I will be buying and using it. Until then....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online