SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#288773 - 06/05/10 08:07 AM Passing the torch ... or joining the race
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have a fakebook that I got in the early seventies, and inside the front cover there is a message to the musicians of the day. It read something like:
Today's brides are 20-something and listen to a brand of pop music that may not be YOUR bag ... if you want to work in the industry, you better know songs like "Proud Mary" or you will loose this valuable demographic.

That same advice is valid today - to be lucky enough to play music for money is not only a privilege, but a responsibility. The end result of any performance should be client satisfaction when money is involved, and if you intend to work in a fickle environment, such as entertainment – well, you better be flexible!

Since (semi)retiring to teaching, I have learned to savor my performances. I put more thought into what the crowd will want, and although I almost ALWAYS love the selections I choose – the crowd ultimately chooses the songs for me by their responses. It’s an honor to perform for repeat clients, and I look forward to learning even more of the newer, more “today” songs that I can do justice to. With all THAT said … here are a few gems that are on today’s charts (or not too distant relics) that I simply adore playing. Enjoy! (some spellings may be a bit off … I teach MUSIC, not ENGLISH!)lol

Jason Mraz – I’m Yours
Colbie Callait – Bubbly, Lucky(w/Jason Mraz)
Sarah Barellis – Love Song
Taylor Swift – White Horse, Best Day, Our Song, etc … it's ALL popular
Rain – Soul Sister (I play this on Uke!)
ColdPlay – Viva La Vida
Jaimie Cullum – Wheels, any of his standards
(this guy isn’t quite the hitmaker that Billy Joel was, but he has all his guts and energy – amazing performer)
Maroon V – This Love, Sunday Morning, Won’t Go Home Without You
Ingred Michaelson – Take Me The Way I am
Zack Brown – Toes, Highway 20 ride(drive)
Michael Buble, Haven’t Met You Yet

… this list is growing everyday. Listen to the “kids" stations every now and again – you just might like something! Add a few pop, contemporary tunes to you own bag and see what it does for your universal appeal. These songs are the “Proud Marys” of today – don’t get so wrapped up in your own styles and ignore the passing of time, or you might find yourself out of touch with the crowds that are paying for the music.

Also – research a top40 DJ list once in a while and bring along a few line dance trax to play on your breaks – the single ladies love ‘em and it’ll make you look like a star:
Cupid Shuffle is one that you may need to have for a mixed crowd dance party.
I’m just sayin’...

Have fun everyone – and remember – it’s why we play in the first place! FUN, fun, fun!
(thanx Brian Wilson)

#288774 - 06/05/10 02:49 PM Re: Passing the torch ... or joining the race
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave, for entertainers, you're dead on in your observations. That's because the majority of the rewards, other than the financial part come from pleasing your audiences and the resulting positive feedback.

For non-entertainers, it's a little more complicated. That's because the majority of the reward comes from the satisfaction of continuous improvement and the good feeling when you successfully (that means competently) play increasingly challenging material.

Sadly, most non-entertainers, if they stay in the business, end up playing themselves out of a job, or "selling out". In my case, I find satisfaction from producing film and film scores, and choose to play background music at restaurants because of my inability and lack of interest in entertaining. I play "second fiddle" to a ham sandwich, or work for nothing at a jazz club which pays next to nothing.

I wish I were 25% pf the the entertainer you are. I'm not. Therefore, I either have to be satisfied with lots fewer jobs and the ones I get being lower paying, or selling out and
playing material I just can't stand. I won't do that....no George Jones...no Jimmy Buffet...EVER, and the list goes on.

Understand, I'm certainly not saying that you're wrong in your approach at all. You're DEAD ON for entertainers. It's just that, for some of us...probably a small number...we can't do it that way. At best, we "sell out" to a certain degree. I certainly do, and I'm not proud of that.

Be well, and enjoy. I actually like some of the Beach Boys music, although, in the very early 60's, with guys like Dick Dale around, the Beach Boys did great nationally, but couldn't get jobs at home. That was not for lack of talent, but some thought they weren't real surfers and didn't play real surf music.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-05-2010).]

#288775 - 06/05/10 02:59 PM Re: Passing the torch ... or joining the race
Uncle Dave Offline

Yup - this topic was intended for those who wish to "share" the music as opposed to those who need to simply "create" the music. In a small way, we both share a common goal - and that's to make a good product and improve our skills. There are many Jazz greats that play with such technicality that they completely leave me in the dust of the musical message. I appreciate technique, but give me a melody and a groove anyday.

This post is not intended to start debate on how to approach your art - rather, it's a common sense approach to "selling" or sharing your craft in the marketplace.
Entertainer or artist - we all need the "spark" that makes it possible.

Oh, yeah ... and personal views aside, add John Mayer to my list of younger inspirations. (musically only)
Good to hear from you Russ!

#288776 - 06/05/10 03:06 PM Re: Passing the torch ... or joining the race
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Take Jamie Cullum on that list as the perfect example of how to successfully straddle being contemporary AND respecting the past, and push to improve yourself.

I don't see it as an 'either/or thing', Russ... It's possible to do BOTH (and have quite a bit of success in the process). But a head is a head... if you are trying to push yourself eking complexity out of some of the simple basic changes to many of the great standards, why not try to eke out the same complexity out of some of the simple modern tunes, too... Bet you'd get quite a few nods from the kids jazzing up a U2 tune, Coldplay, Jason Mraz, etc..

Let's face it, the jumping off point for a jazz exploration isn't really THAT important. A lot of our favorite jazz was great players spicing up the 'pop' tunes of their day, or generation...

#288777 - 06/05/10 03:07 PM Re: Passing the torch ... or joining the race
Uncle Dave Offline

One more point, since Russ mentioned the Beach Boys:Every generation has had an act of tremendous success with marginal talent - how about there:
1950s - Fabian - couldn'd sing a note ... he was pretty
1960s - Monkees - an act created for TV
1970s - Village People - Fluff all the way
1980s - Milli Vanilli - the inspiration for Ashley Simpson
1990s - Madonna - all sex and minimal music, but catchy beats
2000s - Lady Gaga - Madonna revisited

All major chart toppers - none that I consider with more than a modest amount of creative talent. But in the end - if there is a market for it - someone will find a way to sell it.

I guess, for me - it's always been a question of balance. I pick popular songs that I like and obscure tunes that I think my crowd will grow to like - it all creates a mix that defines "my sound". We all need to do the same if we intend to make a career out of this. Remember - if you're an artist who needs to hone his chops, and money is not an issue .... disregard this post. I'm talking to the working stiffs, like me, who make a living making others happy.

#288778 - 06/05/10 03:10 PM Re: Passing the torch ... or joining the race
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
A lot of our favorite jazz was great players spicing up the 'pop' tunes of their day, or generation...

"Flintstones", "My favorite Things", "Suicide is Painless" .... all started as commercial material - all took to the jazz stage at the hands of some of the most respected artists of our time. Go figure!

#288779 - 06/05/10 03:18 PM Re: Passing the torch ... or joining the race
captain Russ Offline

Thing is, I enjoy your stuff, Dave, and I'm sure I would enjoy Diki, if he's anything live like he is on recorded projects.

But, I'd like to point out that I have been able...as skewed towards the musician part as I am, to work at least 4 nights a week for 53 years now, with 9 total weeks off. That's about as much of a "working stiff" as I can imagine.

It would have been a lot easier with a different attitude.

But, that's not me!

Be well, all.

Russ

PS: Absolutely no disagreement here, guys...just a little introspection and wonder if I did the right thing, occasionally.

#288780 - 06/05/10 03:21 PM Re: Passing the torch ... or joining the race
Uncle Dave Offline

Russ, you're an old softy and you know it! Your song selection is very popular, and your personality completes the package as a marketable" commodity. As much as you'd like to think that you are musically anti-social ... it just ain't so! You're a creative soul with great taste in music, and luckily - there are lots of folks that live near you with the funds to enjoy it!

#288781 - 06/05/10 04:12 PM Re: Passing the torch ... or joining the race
captain Russ Offline

"GROUP HUG...GROUP HUG"!

Russ

#288782 - 06/05/10 06:10 PM Re: Passing the torch ... or joining the race
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I saw Callum at the Newport jazz fest a few years ago ... Completely turned me off while singing "I get a kick out of you" and he stood on top of a Steinway grand and everytime he sang the title line he kicked the piano keys ... Guess I expect more respect for an instrument by a 'jazz artist'
t.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online