SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#288219 - 05/28/10 05:06 AM Re: Two New Premium Styles...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:
I'd say Yamaha discontinued the 9000 Pro because it had numerous hardware issues that could not be addressed by a software update. Poor sales were a direct reflection of the problems caused by the slow CPU Yamaha decided to use in the 9000 Pro. They made sure the CPU in the Tyros was faster after all the problems they had with the 9000 Pro. You can be certain had Yamaha used the same slow processor in the Tyros, the Tyros would have failed due to numerous hardware and software issues.

Since the 9000 Pro's demise I believe Yamaha has decided to stick to selling home keyboards which is why the Tyros and PSR series sells well.

You could be right...I was not a fan of the 9000 Pro (instead, I bought two PSR-2000 after I sold my two PSR-8000), and I was not keen on the Tyros1 either ( I bought two PSR-3000), as it was not made in Japan, and the instrument's keyboard was not robust enough in my opinion...once again, a result of outsourcing.

I used to feel they put the keyboard of a $500 instrument in a $4500 unit.

But, they learned from their mistakes, and the Tyros2 and Tyros3 have the FSX keyboard, which is considered one of the very best semi-weighted actions.

And yes, the Tyros and PSR are primarily intended for the home user, which is also where the highest profits lie, so, it's a good move to be sure, but, even so, there are many pros using these instruments very productively, including myself.

Now, Roland has given up on 76 note arrangers, leaving Korg as the sole member of the Big Three, to be making them.

As I said earlier, I'd be very surprised if they make a successor to the PA2XPro, although now that they dominate the 76-note market, the profits may be lucrative enough to continue.

Again...time will tell.

What arranger are you presently using?

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-28-2010).]

#288220 - 05/28/10 05:09 AM Re: Two New Premium Styles...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Thing is, the same market forces that prevent Yamaha from making a quality 76 are the exact forces that stop them from providing professional features you DO want, Donny...

They make these things for home users ONLY, and you might as well bark at the moon for any pro features to make it into their OS... It's all well and good to make fun of someone ELSE'S pro needs, but it's not so funny when they ignore YOU completely as well, is it?

I'm fine on stage with the superb fast keyfeel and super styles with MEGA & SAS sounds on my S910 now....just a few navagation changes I would enjoy BUT not required....76 keys is definitly NOT one of them. If this was the last arranger ever made I'd be very happy still.

#288221 - 05/28/10 05:11 AM Re: Two New Premium Styles...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

The current PSR range is exceptionally stable and dependable.

Once again, Yamaha learned from their mistakes.

Thank you for mentioning those issues, and giving me an opportunity to clear them up.

Ian

In the last few years I've used, Yamaha, Roland, Korg and am now back to Yamaha. They are all great boards in their own right. but currently for my taste and especially my audiences Yamaha does the best overall job. This s910 is a winner in my opinion. Like Ian I'd rather use the s910 than the Tyros3. Just my preference.

#288222 - 05/28/10 05:25 AM Re: Two New Premium Styles...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Yamaha is NOT the leading arranger sales company Worldwide..it is Korg.
In the US...Yes they are.

Lee S.

Whoever is leading in arranger sales is not important...both companies sell a lot of arrangers.

Sales of Korg arrangers in my territory, are very small, and none of the 15 dealers/stores I do clinics for, carry Korg arrangers, and we have a fairly large market for this type of instrument.

The few Korgs I've seen are mostly workstations...I just got a great old 1978 Korg synth, that is in mint shape and just being cleaned and detailed before it goes to it's new owner...a PS-3200 analog polyphonic...built like a tank, and fully poly...FAT sound...Korg did make, and still make, great products.

Ian

#288223 - 05/28/10 08:34 AM Re: Two New Premium Styles...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Hmmmm is that why you play a 61 key Roland Prelude on stage instead of the 76 key G70?...

The only reason I use the Prelude...and full well know I compromise.. ....

I use the Prelude "only" when I perform with the band....Why?..We use MP3 backing tracks..and there is not a better , easier to use player than can be found on the Prelude...

We also have limited space on stages as a trio, and the sacrifice is a smaller footprint (keyboard)...so..the Prelude is the only 61 key instrument I would use..Compromise..yes the key feel and navigation are no where near the G70..but exceeds the poor key feel of the PSR line up, and the PSR still could not do the job of the Prelude for me..

My solo and even most of my duo work..you will find the G70 on stage..

Solo work, I do not even use the laptop, but for duo, you will see the laptop too..

What I really wish for..is that Roland came out with an MP3 upgrade (player) as they did with the E80 (only faster and smoother as the Prelude player)..I am not convinced that the G70 lacks the hardware to be able to upgrade this feature..If this was possible..you can bet your "bippy" that you would always see the G70 on stage..

Don't be too surprised if you see my MS on stage in the very near future..Dom has some of the features ready to expand my use of the MS on stage..

I really can not understand ...why any professional player would rather play the poor key feel keyboards on stage over a key bed that allows the proper connection of player and sound...

To each his own..

#288224 - 05/28/10 08:43 AM Re: Two New Premium Styles...
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DannyUK:

You mentioned the next Yamaha TOTL keyboard, I can't see how much better it can get!

Yamaha should add the 2 live control knobs/arpeggiator that's on the PSR E423. (Just bought one for my office at the church.) If this feature were included on the MOTL arrangers, it would add a whole new realm of creative possibilities, especially if it were linked to the arranger engine, allowing you to incorporate arps into songs and recording patterns to the multi-pads. I personally find the 423 an amazing board for its price point. It's a sleeper of keyboard IMO.

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#288225 - 05/28/10 08:59 AM Re: Two New Premium Styles...
Dnj Offline

Fast & Light weight key-feel is what I love for my playing.....again we all have different needs.....to me the S910 should even be lighter in overall weight also 15 lbs max is what they need to be down to in today's tech age.....no useless real estate required....."Keyboard J's" like Fran & I can do it easily with any Kb & a Laptop on stage period for any gig!

#288226 - 05/28/10 09:09 AM Re: Two New Premium Styles...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

I really can not understand ...why any professional player would rather play the poor key feel keyboards on stage over a key bed that allows the proper connection of player and sound...

Having you understand why I would use a lighter action keyboard is not one of my life's priorities, Fran, but, I will tell you this...the PSR S910's keyboard has a terrific connection of player and sound.

I like the PSR action even more than semi-weighted FSX...the important thing is, at least for me, is that the velocity response gives me full control, which on the PSR-S910, is excellent...you can even press a key slow enough so that there is no sound; much like that of an acoustic piano.

Given that the overall weight of the instrument is 25 lbs, the advantages are even more apparent...plus, I have no problem using 5 octaves, whereas some may need 76 notes to do a proper performance, I can safely say that 61 keys are perfect for my needs.

My days of lugging around a 50 lb arranger, and equally heavy speakers are over...too many years of brutal martial arts, and hauling around heavy instruments has taken it's toll on my lower back, so I appreciate the luxury of having instruments and speakers that weigh less than 30 lbs, yet still give me all the performance I need...without sacrificing quality in any way.

It's nice you are content with the G-70, but please don't think for one minute that it's necessary for the rest of us to own one in order to have a high quality playing experience...that's just not so, and my own experience bears this out totally.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-28-2010).]

#288227 - 05/28/10 09:19 AM Re: Two New Premium Styles...
Bachus Offline

Great styles..

I'd love to hear them finetuned for mediastation.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#288228 - 05/28/10 10:20 AM Re: Two New Premium Styles...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, i can recall..not so many years ago..Uncle Dave and I as well as other players....while playing the same sounds via different key beds ...experienced the vast satisfaction between the sound and the finger connection (and mind)....No one will ever convince me that a better key feel does not make a difference in playability of a sound...

Most if not all..players with a light touch (limited dynamics) keyboard..play wide open all the time...

The semi weighted key beds...point blank offer better dynamics...maybe if you grew up playing accordion..the lightweights feel okay...but you had the bellows to express with accordion...eventually you needed to define the touch for dynamics as you moved on to keyboards...

I have listened to a lot of PSR tunes on SZ, many are good, but dynamics of the sound just aren't there....my guess is because of my above remarks..

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online