SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 20 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20 >
Topic Options
#288042 - 06/03/10 01:45 PM Re: OS 4.3...
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Dom... any chance of learning to scale your pictures so they don't overflow the page width here?

James... I think the answer to your cloning dilemma is easy. Just apply the Golden Rule. If YOU had made an
entire soundset for an arranger (or any keyboard) and had poured vast sums of money into making it sound great
would you be happy if someone came along, cloned it as accurately as possible, and then either sold it or gave it
away for free? Would you be likely to ever make another one? Would you want to sue the pants off the infringer?

I think, in all likelihood, that the same standards that apply to using samples of commercial music would apply.
If you use tiny snippets, and make the end result VERY different from the original, you are likely OK
(but even there, permission and a fee is usual if the snippet is even remotely recognizable)
but if you 'sample' an entire CD, put it out under your name and either distribute it for free or even worse, sell it
you are going to be in hot water.

'Cloning' an entire keyboard, except for one's own private use (even commercially on a record, you may be in trouble if you didn't buy the original keyboard)
is pretty much the same thing. It is outright intellectual property theft, and any company would be well
within their rights to litigate. As no doubt, you would be tempted to do if it were done to YOU.

Protecting the revenue stream from endeavor is the only way to ensure that further endeavor WILL be made.
Look at what has happened to the music industry. Look what is happening to the movie industry.
If anyone can steal anything, and give it away (or sell it) with impunity, who in their right minds is going to MAKE anything any more?

But, bottom line of all this is, doesn't this simply show how bankrupt the idea of an 'open' arranger is?
That it has to 'steal' the sounds of a closed one before it is any good... Wasn't the promise of something BETTER? That anyone would go to these lengths simply
demonstrates how hard it is to simply get a collection of high quality VSTi's, and make something that blows away
the poor arrangers you are trying so hard to clone.

Anyway, simply follow the Golden Rule, and you KNOW it's wrong to distribute an arranger clone soundset.
I certainly wouldn't expect to make any money from it. After all, if you can steal it from Ketron
then it's OK for them to steal your work from YOU, isn't it?

Diki...

Does Steinway make any money when someone sells a CD with a steinway piano on it? Does Steinway make any money when someone samples a Steinway piano?

No they don't... So why should Yamaha or Korg make any money when someone samples the sample they took from a Steinway?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#288043 - 06/03/10 01:55 PM Re: OS 4.3...
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Diki.
Where do you think all the waveforms for all keyboards come from ?
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just pointing out that every keyboard manufacture going samples sounds from other keyboards and instruments.

James.

#288044 - 06/03/10 01:59 PM Re: OS 4.3...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Actually yes, if you sample a piano an SELL it as 'Steinway samples', you have to pay Steinway a license fee.

The issue isn't that someone sampled a Steinway. It is that someone spent a FORTUNE sampling that Steinway,
and you did nothing but copy their data. You didn't call in a string section at great expense, and spend a week getting all the notes
and articulations. You let them do all the work, then stole it. You didn't hire a bunch of first call horn player, you let someone else do all the work, and then STOLE it.

MAKE YOUR OWN SAMPLES, THIEF... (then remain silent while someone steals them for profit).

If I break into your warehouse and steal an MS, how is it any different? You spent a fortune making it.
I want it for free. Why can't I take it? You think YOU have a right to make a profit, but the sample makers DON'T?

Hey, James... send me ALL your commercial samples. No, I won't pay for them. I just want them. If you don't,
I will just take them. Sound OK with you?

How about that Corvette, Dom? I know you paid for it, but what right do you have to keep it..? I want it.
And I don't want to have to pay for it. By your own rules, I can come
and get it any time I want.

See you soon...

#288045 - 06/03/10 02:05 PM Re: OS 4.3...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
How about that Corvette, Dom? I know you paid for it, but what right do you have to keep it..? I want it.
And I don't want to have to pay for it. By your own rules, I can come
and get it any time I want.

See you soon...

Be careful. Dom has a gun.

chas

#288046 - 06/03/10 02:19 PM Re: OS 4.3...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So does Yamaha, Korg, Ketron and Roland... or at least their lawyers do BIG GUNS... against a tiny
company. More like taking a knife to a gunfight, I'd say. Tread lightly, Dom. Posting on this forum counts
as evidence of intent

Anyway, I'm not going to steal it while he's LOOKING...! I'll stab him in the back while he's
sleeping, like a good Italian... (Tony Hughes made me say that! I would NEVER harm someone from a
country that gave us Ferrari, Pagani and Lamborghini..! Mind you, Fiat makes me
reach for the stiletto )

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 06-03-2010).]

#288047 - 06/03/10 02:39 PM Re: OS 4.3...
Dnj Offline

get the lock ready !

#288048 - 06/03/10 02:45 PM Re: OS 4.3...
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Problem is the Dik, does not get it...James is NOT selling Ketron samples.

He would be selling IrishActs samples created by him...

No different of he samples a Yamaha Grand, then creates his own sample base from HIS recorded sample.

No copyright on a sound wave coming from a piano.

No different if he goes outside records some birds tweeting.

No copyright on soundwaves....

#288049 - 06/03/10 02:51 PM Re: OS 4.3...
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Diki is just taking nonsense.

I ask him only one question and he avoids answer it.

James

#288050 - 06/03/10 04:11 PM Re: OS 4.3...
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Diki is just taking nonsense.

I ask him only one question and he avoids answer it.

James

Yes James, he does seem to have a habit of doing that. Avoiding questions that cast some doubt on his "statements of fact".

He does not seem to have the humility to admit error (that may not be true but it certainly SEEMS that way).

So he then replies using selected words form the original poster, totally disregards the syntax, and posts a convoluted reply to cover up his initial error. (Again perhaps not intentional, but that is how it comes across, well to me anyway)

Dennis

#288051 - 06/04/10 01:33 AM Re: OS 4.3...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
From what I have seen over the years is that no-one including Yamaha and Roland name their patches from the original instruments they sampled them from. For example I very much doubt whether anyone has been paying Rhodes for sampling the Rhodes electric piano for all these years. In fact Yamaha and Roland have been very particular about naming their Rhodes patches names like "Suitcase Electric" or something that has no copyright association. The same goes for Oberheim samples even though we all know what "Jump Brass" is really referring to. Let's get real here.

Page 6 of 20 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online