SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 19 20 >
Topic Options
#288032 - 06/01/10 04:34 AM Re: OS 4.3...
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Just to add to what I said..... Where I am right now is the closest the Mediastation has ever been to being an all singing and dancing open arranger out of the box. With my Virtual SD2 there is little to no tweaking required for Ketron styles at all which are just pulled of the net and loaded into the keyboard.

What would be ideal at this point is if the legal position on doing all this was made crystal clear and if people like me could then turn around and sell the work I've just done so nobody else has to.

I know it's perfectly legal for me to do this for myself since I own an SD2. But... where do I stand on selling the data is almost an impossible question to answer with any certainty. It's a debate as old as sampling itself.

Ketron sample Vintage gear for example to produce their synth sounds.

Regards
James

#288033 - 06/01/10 04:56 AM Re: OS 4.3...
AFG Music Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Yes, sampling is an art. You have to be seriously committed to the task in order to do it right. I've been doing this 15 years and I will tell anyone straight out, it's a long and painful process to achieve top quality results.

Take my Virtual SD2 for example. I had to listen to each and every sound in detail one by one and adjust my key maps so that I capture the right notes in order to reproduce the sound as close to the original as possible. Then I have to take the time to loop each and every single sample that makes up each sound. In the end I then have to turn around and make the LSCP file so it will run on the keyboard for style playback. The entire process takes a very very long time even for someone like me and it's by no means easy.

Do it right though and the results are fantastic. I've already done some A vs B tests to compare the actual SD2 to my Virtual SD2 and it's extremely hard to tell the difference between them. It's also worth the effort in the end for me because now I don't have to touch a Ketron style and I get very good results out of the box with no tweaks.

Regards
James

agree with you, the one who sampled sounds even not used powerful extreme editor x-fade function to make good loops................

#288034 - 06/01/10 05:32 AM Re: OS 4.3...
Irishacts Offline

Yeah, x-fade is very powerful. You can be sure it was used on all my samples.

Regards
James.

#288035 - 06/01/10 07:18 PM Re: OS 4.3...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dom, I am biting at the bit....when will we see 4.3?

#288036 - 06/02/10 12:50 AM Re: OS 4.3...
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Dom, I am biting at the bit....when will we see 4.3?

Friday we burn the ISO with 64studio, then I test and Uploading on server.
I think for saturday is ready to download and enjoy your 70.000 Mp3-CDG!

#288037 - 06/03/10 12:23 PM Re: OS 4.3...
LIONSTRACS Offline

So, the OS 4.3 I think is ready now.
Tomorrow we will see if 64studio have the time to building all and bur the new ISO OS 4.3.

Here the last updates:

Press SETUP key and will display the all setup features, the Patch C is changed for use the LSCP soundbank loader.

Here the LSCP Sounbank loader update with the Scrollbar Up/Down and left/right.
I have added the left/righ scrollbar because now IF one sounds is missing/bad/wrong...the sampler type one Error sounds and will display the whole file path.
In this way you can see where is the soundbug and fix yourself.
then just reload the LSCP file and the sampler check again, the OK mean that the sound is loaded correct.

For the debug test, i have splitted ( copy/paste) the MS-02-instruments.lscp file and created many others with a parts groups sounds.
on restart, the system have loaded all, midiplayer have played the all tracks correct.

so..in this new system, you can create new small LSCP soundbank with the only sounds that you need on system.
I made for example a LSCP bank of the only drumkits, one for the Pianos and so on.
On restart the system will load all and merge all in realtime.
LACP sounbank files are now UNLIMITED, same way as the sounpatch..
James..enough for you?

#288038 - 06/03/10 12:27 PM Re: OS 4.3...
LIONSTRACS Offline

The news here are not finish...)
First the building and release soon the new OS 4.3 promised...BUT..
From monday we start also building the new Linux Kubuntu 10.04 distribution on the new LIONSTRACS OS 4.5!

Understand what I mean?
Ah..forget...this is the AFG music Mediastation with the new Kubuntu 10.04...

[This message has been edited by LIONSTRACS (edited 06-03-2010).]

#288039 - 06/03/10 12:51 PM Re: OS 4.3...
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:

Ah..forget...this is the AFG music Mediastation with the new Kubuntu 10.04...
]

That looks lika an old one, must have been a pre production model

http://keyszone.boards.net

#288040 - 06/03/10 01:17 PM Re: OS 4.3...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Dom... any chance of learning to scale your pictures so they don't overflow the page width here?

James... I think the answer to your cloning dilemma is easy. Just apply the Golden Rule. If YOU had made an
entire soundset for an arranger (or any keyboard) and had poured vast sums of money into making it sound great
would you be happy if someone came along, cloned it as accurately as possible, and then either sold it or gave it
away for free? Would you be likely to ever make another one? Would you want to sue the pants off the infringer?

I think, in all likelihood, that the same standards that apply to using samples of commercial music would apply.
If you use tiny snippets, and make the end result VERY different from the original, you are likely OK
(but even there, permission and a fee is usual if the snippet is even remotely recognizable)
but if you 'sample' an entire CD, put it out under your name and either distribute it for free or even worse, sell it
you are going to be in hot water.

'Cloning' an entire keyboard, except for one's own private use (even commercially on a record, you may be in trouble if you didn't buy the original keyboard)
is pretty much the same thing. It is outright intellectual property theft, and any company would be well
within their rights to litigate. As no doubt, you would be tempted to do if it were done to YOU.

Protecting the revenue stream from endeavor is the only way to ensure that further endeavor WILL be made.
Look at what has happened to the music industry. Look what is happening to the movie industry.
If anyone can steal anything, and give it away (or sell it) with impunity, who in their right minds is going to MAKE anything any more?

But, bottom line of all this is, doesn't this simply show how bankrupt the idea of an 'open' arranger is?
That it has to 'steal' the sounds of a closed one before it is any good... Wasn't the promise of something BETTER? That anyone would go to these lengths simply
demonstrates how hard it is to simply get a collection of high quality VSTi's, and make something that blows away
the poor arrangers you are trying so hard to clone.

Anyway, simply follow the Golden Rule, and you KNOW it's wrong to distribute an arranger clone soundset.
I certainly wouldn't expect to make any money from it. After all, if you can steal it from Ketron
then it's OK for them to steal your work from YOU, isn't it?

#288041 - 06/03/10 01:41 PM Re: OS 4.3...
Irishacts Offline

Hi Domencio.
I'm truly impressed. This is excellent work and HUGE news.

Well done.!!!!!

James

Page 5 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 19 20 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online