Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#287672 - 05/17/10 12:12 PM Music played on the groove X7
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#287673 - 05/17/10 10:12 PM Re: Music played on the groove X7
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Can't speak German, so couldn't get the post, but can anyone say what library was used in the piece? It's nice enough, but what amazes me is that anyone is really surprised at what can be achieved with skill and a decent sampler. I've been hearing things like this since the days of the Emulator I and that's a LONG time ago...

Once you go 'open', it ought to be made plain whether something made on an instrument is the base library, or third party sounds, as anyone looking to the demo for an indicator of what they might be able to do if they bought one should be aware of this, and the potential cost of adding the extra libraries. Some of them can run to thousands of dollars...

#287674 - 05/18/10 05:47 AM Re: Music played on the groove X7
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
I have checked with Helmut, and just the standard Groove X7 was used with no other software or sounds. (You can see his reply (In English) if you go back to the thread)
Regards

Bill

#287675 - 05/18/10 06:24 AM Re: Music played on the groove X7
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
The amount of sounds you get out of the box is enough to keep anyone busy for a very long time.

Cheers
James

#287676 - 05/18/10 09:33 AM Re: Music played on the groove X7
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Nah James, you're wrong, that ain't enough for Diki...he needs more cuz he used everything already.

#287677 - 05/18/10 09:34 AM Re: Music played on the groove X7
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Can't speak German, so couldn't get the post, but can anyone say what library was used in the piece? It's nice enough, but what amazes me is that anyone is really surprised at what can be achieved with skill and a decent sampler. I've been hearing things like this since the days of the Emulator I and that's a LONG time ago...

Once you go 'open', it ought to be made plain whether something made on an instrument is the base library, or third party sounds, as anyone looking to the demo for an indicator of what they might be able to do if they bought one should be aware of this, and the potential cost of adding the extra libraries. Some of them can run to thousands of dollars...

I'd sure like to hear the Emulator 1 demo you heard that sounded anything like what Helmut demonstrated using factory sounds that come standard with Lionstracs keyboards. I've had every incarnation of Emulator since the E2 and I've yet to hear a E1 sound like that.

Lionstracs users have been saying for some time that the factory sound library that comes with the instruments are quite good as witnessed by Hemlhuts demo. There are no less than 4 GB worth of sounds shipped with the Lionstracs so chances are there's enough sound OOTB to satisfy most users right out of the gate. It is not required to buy additional sound libraries but if you feel the need to do so, at least its an option.

#287678 - 05/18/10 12:59 PM Re: Music played on the groove X7
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Possibly there's enough content for many people, but let's face it James... even YOUR demos have used third party sounds, not just your own but converted Akai disks, etc..

Anyway, what's the POINT of an open keyboard if you only use the included sounds...? That's what a closed keyboard does, and you are all constantly pointing out how limited THOSE are

Thing is, most closed WS's, and a high percentage of TOTL arrangers include a sampler (at least playback sampler), with often up to half a gig or RAM or more. Things aren't QUITE as 'closed' as you make out!

I have to admit, off the top of my head, I can't remember a specific Emulator I demo to point you to, but I remember well some Emulator II stuff that sounded VERY good (and let's not forget that quite a few Hollywood scores used them extensively) and that's STILL a long time ago... Yes, an open keyboard allows you to do these things with much greater ease, and have much larger libraries at your fingertips, and they DO represent a big leap forward. But the music being made on them has MUCH in common with stuff from a LONG time ago. After all, we are emulating orchestras, and those have been around for hundreds of years!

Once again, before you all start piling on me willy-nilly, I am NOT 'putting down' the open WS. It's a great piece of gear, and if I had a need for one, I'd get one in a flash. This isn't demo-ing any arranger mode, so my comments have nothing to do with that. But, when listening to something 'open', it helps to know WHAT is being used, as many choices (at a wide range of prices) as they have. And that's all I was commenting about re. the MS.

As James showed a while back, ANY sampler, with a good library, can make excellent music, and has been doing it for a long time. Perhaps some of our members haven't really kept up with this end of things, and all I was trying to point out was simply that. The demo was good, no doubt about it. But not exactly groundbreaking, in the long run...

Me, I'd like to hear it running Live, and Omnisphere/Stylus RMX/Trillium in interactive mode... THAT would be pretty interesting, IMO!

#287679 - 05/18/10 09:31 PM Re: Music played on the groove X7
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Possibly there's enough content for many people, but let's face it James... even YOUR demos have used third party sounds, not just your own but converted Akai disks, etc..

Maybe James is trying to show all possibilities of the keyboard..

Maybe it would be wise for you to stop discussing lionstracs Diki, because arguments like this don't add anything at al

http://keyszone.boards.net

#287680 - 05/19/10 05:50 AM Re: Music played on the groove X7
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
Possibly there's enough content for many people, but let's face it James... even YOUR demos have used third party sounds, not just your own but converted Akai disks, etc.

Correct, but not for the reasons your thinking.

I use third party sounds is because I already own a very large collection of award winning libraries that I've purchased over many years of working with AKAI Samplers.

It's totally logical. Why would I use Lionstracs very good uilleann pipe sound for example when I can call up my “award winning” uilleann pipe sound from the World Winds library by Dirk Campbell.

I do the same with my OASYS and every other keyboard I've ever owned since I've started using AKAI Samplers and building up my library of sounds. If I buy an award winning library that has better sounds than any other keyboard I own, it only logical that I'm going to use those sounds over anything else.

You can't argue with that

Quote:
As James showed a while back, ANY sampler, with a good library, can make excellent music, and has been doing it for a long time. Perhaps some of our members haven't really kept up with this end of things, and all I was trying to point out was simply that. The demo was good, no doubt about it. But not exactly groundbreaking, in the long run...

Yes, but I had to go to great lengths to do what I did back then as my S5000 maxed out with RAM still only stands at 256MB and there is a considerable loading time to even get that data to memory.

Now on the other hand with my Mediastation I can load GB of data in seconds. Imagine what I will do with that considering what I used to be able to do with just a Triton Studio and an AKAI Sampler.

Regards
James

#287681 - 05/19/10 06:19 AM Re: Music played on the groove X7
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:
Maybe James is trying to show all possibilities of the keyboard..

Maybe it would be wise for you to stop discussing lionstracs Diki, because arguments like this don't add anything at al

+1
I'm all for debating any subject but Diki, there is no discussion going on between you and other people on this subject at all. I'd say it's like Shoot first and ask questions later only you don't even do that. It's more like shoot first and then stick your head in the sand. You just say your piece and you stick to that regardless of the reply you get. I really don't get this attitude at all.

You are on your own at this point too as everyone else is open minded, listening, asking questions and watching what's going on.

It's only with a very good exchange of information and a real debate that people can make the right decisions and understand everything. So why don't you actually ask a question first before shooting. I'm not your enemy and I'm not out to prove you wrong on anything.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 05-19-2010).]

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online