SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#287205 - 05/15/10 01:09 AM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Well my band actually does play one of those songs live. We play a cover of "So What" by Pink. In a similar vein we also play "Shut Up And Let Me Go" by the Ting Tings. We will play any pop/rock song if there is enough of a demand for it. After all we are simply hired to entertain so that's what we try to do.

#287206 - 05/15/10 03:43 AM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
We will play any pop/rock song if there is enough of a demand for it. After all we are simply hired to entertain so that's what we try to do.

And that is the bottom line...we are hired to entertain.

Of course, where and who we choose to entertain, is up to us, and will ultimately affect what we play.

Ian

#287207 - 05/15/10 06:47 AM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
C'mon Donny,

I bet you'd have a good time with #13 - We Like To Party.

Do it, Six Flags-style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PDIBTS_xDQ

-mike

#287208 - 05/15/10 06:51 AM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
Nursing home gigs? Bah! Such a waste of talent!

I guess you have no compassion for people that are ill. I would say it's the most rewarding type of gigs versus a waste of talent.

#287209 - 05/15/10 07:01 AM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
And that is the bottom line...we are hired to entertain.

Of course, where and who we choose to entertain, is up to us, and will ultimately affect what we play.

Ian

You got that right, ian ...
While some of us 'more experienced' (make that OLDER ) players may cringe at today's pop list, is that any different from what 'older' players thought of the music we may have been playing in the 60's and 70's??? ... a few weeks ago I was talking with one of the other members of the band we had and we were discussing how when we started out we were referred to as 'the kid band' by some of our older competitors ... tempus fugits, folks, so as the song says "Don't Blink"...
The 'Circle of Life' goes on ...
t.
Play what you enjoy, enjoy what you play...

#287210 - 05/15/10 07:04 AM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
C'mon Donny,

I bet you'd have a good time with #13 - We Like To Party.

Do it, Six Flags-style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PDIBTS_xDQ
-mike

I live by the Sinatra code.........stay the course and NEVER change Your style for anyone.. Choose your audiences wisely.

#287211 - 05/15/10 07:07 AM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I guess you have no compassion for people that are ill. I would say it's the most rewarding type of gigs versus a waste of talent.

You've first got to understand the point I am trying to make.

Me not having compassion? You DEMAND pay while I do it for free! More than once have I given away all I had so that others may have a better life.

If you really want to know, what I said was in reference to your remarks. Think... and maybe you'll get it.

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#287212 - 05/15/10 01:07 PM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm with Hellboy on this one (and that WAS kinda the point I was making). Basically, 'pop' music has always had its up and down moments, and in the big picture, I think doo-wop isn't exactly the zenith of pop music. Little in the way of harmonic complexity, lyrics as banal as anything today, formulaic beyond belief... But don't get your panties in a wad - it has LOTS of company through the years! And, just like any music (including hiphop and rap) it DOES have its' high moments...

Thing is, I'm surprised that Donny DOESN'T cover any of that list. I was always under the impression (that he points out so often) that 'by any means necessary' was his mantra. And, as willing as he is to use karaoke MP3's, the difficulty of getting an arranger to sound that contemporary is kinda moot...

The problem with walling yourself off from contemporary pop is that you are restricted to audiences that are, let us just be kind and say 'getting on a bit', and usually slowing down as far as going out at night and supporting live music. You may be doing well now, but eventually, that demographic is dwindling. Stay capable of doing classic stuff AND contemporary, no problems.

The band I am in right now (a 5 piece with a sax player) does everything from Ipanema and It had to be You, to the Cuban Shuffle and Get Low. Best of all possible worlds - particularly as I don't have to program the stuff! I've got a world class drummer, and at least that will make you realize, no matter HOW good you think your arranger is, it has a LONG, long way to go before it is a fraction of the versatility and inventiveness a good player brings to the table...

#287213 - 05/15/10 01:22 PM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
Dnj Offline

not only dont I cover that list or do I care to...it doesn't even exist in my world.
I respect the music and the peopel that like it and who produced it, it's just not my cup of tea or is it any of my audiences.
I'm a singer that can play KB & backs himself up with an arranger KB, backing tracks & DJ's with a Laptop for songs I just cannot sing or play, won't do, or to fill requests at a gig, it's no sweat off my back as long as the people are happy and I make a living which after 40 years i havev no problems....I mix it up all night long and my audiences love to listen and dance to it gig after gig every night. Enjoy what you do and how you do it if it sounds good and your happy performing it..
Just don't try to tell me what to play, like or how to do it. And that ain't no ego trip baby!.....or maybe I should just go all out and do covers of "Knees up Mother Brown", "Under the Spreading Chestnut Tree", and the "Hokey Cokey" too!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-15-2010).]

#287214 - 05/15/10 02:33 PM Re: What songs are you playing to fill the dance floor?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
not only dont I cover that list or do I care to...it doesn't even exist in my world.
I respect the music and the peopel that like it and who produced it, it's just not my cup of tea or is it any of my audiences.

This is really scary. Everything Donny said above applies to me as well. Plus, I agree with every word, but for a different reason. In my case, most of the clubs I play in don't even have dance floors and (like Donny) only one in a hundred would know a single tune on that list (I, myself, have only heard of ONE of them - and couldn't even hum that one). In Donny's case, he obviously is able to pick and choose his audiences and venues, and THAT is the key to what you are able to play or not play.

It's not just whether it's a dance venue or not, but it actually gets down to WHAT KIND OF dance venue it is. In some, that list would be 'must play' and Donny's list would go over like a lead balloon. In others (the ones he chooses to play in), the reverse would be true, and that play list above would generate nothing but blank stares from the patrons and a pissed-off owner. As always, you have to play what's called for. If you can't (or won't), don't take the gig. Simple as that.

chas

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online