SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#286823 - 05/01/10 12:41 AM Re: MegaVoices, RX, MultiLayers, SAVoices, DNC e tc. Confusion
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Nedim
Mega voices are not like RX voices; in fact only one other manufacture outside Yamaha can play Mega voice styles accurately without conversion, and to achieve this they had to program and design a whole new sound bank for use with Yamaha styles. (This has the added advantage that owners can add them to their existing styles)
As to whether they sound better or worse, is down to whether you like how the programmer has voiced them, and whether you prefer the Yamaha or Wersi (Hypersonic) sound engine.

Quick question
I have read all the Korg manuals on DNC and heard live demos, however as far as I was aware, the DNC only worked on Manual voices not styles, could you just confirm that they are actually available for the style. (The Guitar mode is a separate entity to DNC)

Here are 5 styles in 2 parts, (There are a number of seconds gap between the recordings) the first part is an un-tweaked EMC conversion to Wersi, and the second is played directly in the OAA, and again no tweaking was involved. (The name of the style is at the end of the link)
http://www.4shared.com/audio/HHk3zkSK/Afro_Cuban.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/2S_7Qx94/Big_Band_Samba.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/rJbUg45_/Country_Brothers.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/LV2Tx1ju/Easy_Listening.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/4vjoa6rE/Italian_Muzurka.html

Bill

#286824 - 05/01/10 01:23 AM Re: MegaVoices, RX, MultiLayers, SAVoices, DNC e tc. Confusion
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Hi Bill,
DNC on Korg arrangers as they claim and as i know works in styles too but i dont
think works in full potential as in Sounds becuse of the Switches which you use
when you play Solo. Commands that are triggered by Legato/Staccato playing,
Velocity, AfterTouch and other Factors would work. I have tried with certain DNC
Sounds to record a part only with one Sound and then listen to that part ad i can
hear the difference but when recording the Part trying to use the switches to be
recorded too it wont work. So in my knowledge in overall works but not full as one
would use the sound when playing it Solo in Style Play Mode.

#286825 - 05/01/10 01:31 AM Re: MegaVoices, RX, MultiLayers, SAVoices, DNC e tc. Confusion
Nedim Offline

To Diki:
In the begining of this MP3 http://www.basaristudios.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/korgpa800.mp3
you can hear the MultiLayer on Korg's PA800, listen to it just like 4 seconds and stop it and then switch to
the following MP3: http://www.basaristudios.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/goliath.mp3 and you will
hear that even Korg's own style on its own Layering machine doesnt sound as good as on other MultiLayer.

#286826 - 05/01/10 02:01 AM Re: MegaVoices, RX, MultiLayers, SAVoices, DNC e tc. Confusion
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
As I said, Nedim, if you only stick to the simplest examples, then sure, it's going to be easy to translate and make good. Trouble is, most modern TOTL arrangers have gone FAR beyond simply multi-layering samples, and use a variety of techniques to get better realism. And NONE of these translate well, if at all.

In Korg's Guitar Mode, the only thing in the style is the trigger notes for the strums and picking patterns, and a totally different engine picks the actual notes and performance noises, etc.. That data isn't in the style at all... Hence, impossible to translate.

I have been told several times that DNC works in style mode, Bill. Some of the rules are intervallic, and I would expect at least THEM to work in style mode. Thing is, Korg have yet to release dedicated samples for DNC, so it isn't quite the factor it could be, but Guitar Mode is another thing altogether... I just don't see how that can be translated at all.

#286827 - 05/01/10 02:07 AM Re: MegaVoices, RX, MultiLayers, SAVoices, DNC e tc. Confusion
Nedim Offline

The Guitar Mode translates actually easier then DNC or RX, if you get a Style
with one simple Guitar and record a short MIDI with it in Sequencer shows up
as a standard MIDI file, all of the triggers it diw th the GM Mode now are spread
into regular notes, at exact timing, length and place, now, if you run that MIDI
track thru the same Sound again it will Sound exactly the same as GM.
I have tried Guitar Mode with other Sounds from other synths and VSTi, and it
works almost perfectly if you find exact Sound which nowadays is very easy.
I dont mean the exact Sonic character but only the Noises, Picks, Licks and
stuff that are used in the track. Most new Workstations, Synths and VSTi already
have this as the MOTIF too, the Guitars for GM on PA have standard placing of
all these Guitar FX as on other synths and VSTis, i actually used it for producing
certain songs and albums while not using the Sound itself, only the MIDI info.

#286828 - 05/01/10 02:16 AM Re: MegaVoices, RX, MultiLayers, SAVoices, DNC e tc. Confusion
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yeah, but that's making an SMF of the output, NOT an actual style...

How do you deal with the notes, triggers and non-pitched sounds all being on one track? Would you separate those out onto different tracks, so some can be transposed according to the chord, and some not? And it still doesn't deal with the issue of the Guitar Mode providing accurate guitar voicings for every chord, including open and barré chording, whereas whatever engine plays it on the MS is going to impose some generic NTT that is going to destroy the voicing.

The devil is in the details, my friend...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online